Can you lose weight without running

Options
Hi!! Have been doing 30 day shred for 2 weeks. Jillian says I can lose weight doing her DVD and I see lots of people doing 30 d s losing weight, but then i read an article where jillian herself says she runs 3 miles a day and running makes you skinny. everyone i know who runs is skinny. but i really dont enjoy running at all. please let me know what else i can do at home.
After 2 weeks of shred and staying in my calories I am still spilling over my too tight jeans.
Take a look at my food diary if you feel like it. I know it isn't perfect.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym. You can totally lose all the weight you want to without doing any exercise at all. Cardio is great for leaning out but you can't out exercise a bad diet.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    80% nutrition 20% fitness 100% mental(staying focused)
  • aforbes
    Options
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym. You can totally lose all the weight you want to without doing any exercise at all. Cardio is great for leaning out but you can't out exercise a bad diet.

LOVE THIS!!!
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Can you lose weight without running

Yes.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    No, you don't have to run.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    80% nutrition 20% fitness 100% mental

This exactly! Running is what some people enjoy for cardio. You should get the nutrition under control first. You can walk ten minutes a day and lose weight IF you are eating properly!
  • MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Haven't run yet, and I lose weight.. .slowly, but surely.
    Look for substitutes that you enjoy- like I prefer swing dancing. Can't stand running, but you could never get me to stop dancing.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can. I know what you are talking about though. Personally, I see faster results when I add running to the mix. Once you get used to it, it isn't bad. I have never been an athletic person, but I learned to like it. Try it a little at a time by starting with walking. You can definitely lose without running. The great thing about running is that your gym is always around the block. If you are vacation, you can still run.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Why would you not run?
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Absolutely - you just need to find a way to do cardio that you enjoy, or at least one that you don't hate as much, lol. At the gym, I do a combo of steep incline on the treadmill, elliptical, quadmill, rowing machine or bike. For fun, I go out dancing, play with my dog, Wii Fit, etc.

Two years ago, when I first started trying to lose weight, I lost 50# pounds without running more than 2 miles - total - and that was running/walking in a 5k!

You can do it - good luck!!!
  • Stephiestephs
    Stephiestephs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Well I just don't like running. I tried it a few times. It makes everything hurt and its just torturous.
    As far as diet. I have never been able to lose weight unless I go completely carb free and it's just too unrealistic to do forever. Which is why I go from 130 to 170 to 140 and up again
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I HATE to run. I don't like it, I don't enjoy it, I don't wanna! LOL! I've started working out (again) last July. Started on mfp in August. In that time I've run for a total of maybe 20 minutes. I have TRIED to run and I just find myself doing something I hate. So I don't do it. I walk on the treadmill or do the ellipitical and I toss around some free weights or do the machine weights. I'm down 39 pounds and I DON"T run. Now I do spend some decent time walking and I don't meander. Lots of incline, and a decent speed (and swing those arms!!). 30-45 minutes 6-7 days a week. Alternate weights upper body/lower body each day. I'm very old school when it comes to working out. It works and I like it so I keep it up. I really think that last sentence is key. Find what you like and what works and do that.

That's not to say running doesn't work. My good friend runs her face off. 6-9 miles a day! She's as peanut-y as the day is long. BUT she really, really likes it and it works for her.

I haven't looked at your diary but I agree with the others. You can't outdo your food. If you eat really bad you will look and feel really bad. I can say that cause I've been over 300 pounds and I'm now 151 pounds. Everyday is a new day to do something good for yourself. Make today your day.
  • Stephiestephs
    Options
    I don't think I have been eating horrible sans a few slip ups maybe some take a look? There are obvious things I know are wrong like the spaghetti I had. When I gave into cravings. But also keep in mind I have had no kitchen since sandy hit. Just getting it back together now. So we order out a lot because of no kitchen
  • Zimaleah501
    Zimaleah501 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely lose weight without running! I personally find it easier to lose if there is SOME workout involved, but I prefer long walks. When I tried running, my joints were hurting a ton from the extra weight. My doctor said that she could give me some tips to help if I wanted, but that losing some weight and trying again would be even more effective. So for now, I take my ipod, turn up some fast paced music, and go on hour long walks probably 5 days a week and I have been loving it!
  • Stephiestephs
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, here is an average good day for me how does it look
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Stephiestephs?date=2013-02-05
  • Stephiestephs
    Options
    Please check out my day I posted?
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    57 pounds down total and ive never run - primarily strength train
  • labellecanuck
    labellecanuck Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I rarely ever run but I walk a lot, always take the stairs, and sometimes speed walk on the treadmill.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Just watch those calories and find some support on this site. We're all in this together.