Aaaaand confused again

Options
So everyone basically talks about how 1,200 calories is pretty bad to eat.
So I upped to 1,600 which is my TDEE.
But I keep seeing all these people with amazing results who post their before and after pictures eating 1,200 calories?
I see people doing even the insanity workout on just 1,200 calories.

It makes me, sort of confused? I know this conversation has probably been beaten to death already, but could I have a bit of clarity of why it is bad, but yet works at the same time?
People swear theyre not in starvation mode?

But yet you can get the same results eating more?

Are people just confused and dont add back their exercise calories?

Im sure youre all getting tired of this question.

Replies

• boogiewoogiekar
    Options
    It think it just depends on your body. Eat enough calories so you lose weight, but DON"T starve yourself. I have lost weight starving myself and all the weight just came back. I eat about 1300-1500 calories/day. I have lost 13 pounds since Jan. 7.:smile:
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    The only surefire way to lose weight, the only thing that causes a program to "work" so to speak, is a calorie deficit. So let's say for instance you burn an average of 2200 calories a day, just being alive, going about your normal business, eating fewer than 2200 calories will net you weight loss over time.

So eating at a deficit, whether that's 1800 calories or 1200 calories, will net you weight loss over time. The question is just whether eating at a steady rate of 1200 calories a day is maintainable for as long as you need to continue losing weight to reach your goals?

For me, it absolutely wasn't. I had no energy, hair fell out, I was crabby and anxious and a royal bloody b!tch the whole time I was eating at 1200. Then I upped my calories to just shy of 2000 and I'm still losing, I feel great and I know I can continue doing this for as long as I need to to reach my goals.
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, it's "bad" because it's difficult to maintain. I'm 4'11, started on here at 148lbs and only ate 1000-1200 calories for a few months. My only exercise was walking and 30DS. I lost about 30lbs doing that, but I was always hungry and cranky and tired. As soon as I hit my mini goal of 115lbs, I stopped tracking food and immediately gained back ten pounds because I was eating way more than 1200 calories a day. I upped my calories to 1400, which isn't a drastic increase, but it's enough to keep my satisfied without feeling hangry (hungry + angry = the worst).

Now maybe these other people that eat 1200 calories and do craaaazy workouts are just trying to lose a lot of weight in a short time for an event like a wedding or a vacation. What they don't realize is that they're likely to gain all that weight back as quickly as they lost it. I don't understand why people want to lose like 20lbs overnight, that's how all that excess flabby skin and stretch marks happen.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I think I understand a bit better now.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If you're eating your TDEE you won't lose weight. Are you sure it's only 1600, that's awfully low?
  • KinzieElise
    KinzieElise Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    From what I understand the general consensus is that just eating 1,200 calories a day while also working out will work for a while but soon those people will plateau and stop losing weight. I also got the impression that some people consider only eating 1,200 calories AND working out to be edging on an ED since the exercise "burns" many of the calories eaten and results in a day with a much lower calorie intake total than is generally considered healthy on MFP. I'm not sure how it really works but how its kinda set up in my mind is that it's like you eat 1200, burn 300, so really your only intake is 900.
  • miss_rye_
    miss_rye_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1100-1200 a day, while working out and I saw the weight melt off when I started eating around 1500 a day of good calories.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Is that your BMR or TDEE? One thought is to eat TDEE - 15% which is what I do.
  • dmaloof2013
    dmaloof2013 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It completely depends on your body. Everyone's body is completely different on how they gain weight and lose weight. I would do what works the best for you. If eating 1200 calories works well for you, then do that. If 1600 is better, do it that way. Also make sure to add in exercise and you'll be good :-)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    You're only 20. Your metabolism, barring medical conditions, is much higher than many of us working off a base of 1200. Plus some of us on 1200 calorie diets are very sedentary. We don't go walking the mall with friends, dragging a backpack to classes, working a job that requires any standing, walking, or lifting, or doing anything else except maybe a short burst of daily exercise.

My advice is, eat more than we do, exercise more, and live more.
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    The only surefire way to lose weight, the only thing that causes a program to "work" so to speak, is a calorie deficit. So let's say for instance you burn an average of 2200 calories a day, just being alive, going about your normal business, eating fewer than 2200 calories will net you weight loss over time.

So eating at a deficit, whether that's 1800 calories or 1200 calories, will net you weight loss over time. The question is just whether eating at a steady rate of 1200 calories a day is maintainable for as long as you need to continue losing weight to reach your goals?

For me, it absolutely wasn't. I had no energy, hair fell out, I was crabby and anxious and a royal bloody b!tch the whole time I was eating at 1200. Then I upped my calories to just shy of 2000 and I'm still losing, I feel great and I know I can continue doing this for as long as I need to to reach my goals.

thanks-I really like how you put this-very helpful xx
  • Makoce
    Options
    You're only 20. Your metabolism, barring medical conditions, is much higher than many of us working off a base of 1200. Plus some of us on 1200 calorie diets are very sedentary. We don't go walking the mall with friends, dragging a backpack to classes, working a job that requires any standing, walking, or lifting, or doing anything else except maybe a short burst of daily exercise.

I do 30 day shred, walk my dog, and then I sit on my *kitten* all day HAHAHA. :P
    Im kind of sedentary. I dont have a job that is stable, it depends on when and how many clients I get.
    Which during the winter is very slow. Otherwise I hike /sometimes/ and go to the gym /sometimes/
    Im not that active really anymore ... which is why i was confused about calories because well, most people do things like walk or stand during the day.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

I do 30 day shred, walk my dog, and then I sit on my *kitten* all day HAHAHA. :P
    Im kind of sedentary. I dont have a job that is stable, it depends on when and how many clients I get.
    Which during the winter is very slow. Otherwise I hike /sometimes/ and go to the gym /sometimes/
    Im not that active really anymore ... which is why i was confused about calories because well, most people do things like walk or stand during the day.

Still, you're younger. You probably have a better metabolism. And if you can lose a pound or two a week while eating more than 1200, lucky you! It will be much easier and why make it harder than it is?
  • Makoce
    Options
    I guess youre right!
    And I completely agree. I only did the whole 1200 calorie thing for 2 days before searching for an alternative.
    It sucked.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that eating 1200 is "bad" if that's what your body requires. Eating LESS than 1200 calories can have health detriments - you may not be giving your body the fuel and nutrients it needs to stay healthy, which might be stalling your weight-loss. Consuming too few calories for a long time can force your body into starvation mode, causing it to hold onto fat and even slow your metabolism.

My best advice is listen to your body. Track your calories -and see what happens. If you're exercising and eating under 2000, you will likely be at a deficit and likely see SOME sort of weight loss. The speed of that loss can be sped up or slowed down if you widen or shrink that deficit. For some, 1200 calories is exactly what their body needs and they can supplement with vitamins or manage to eat so cleanly they can still get in all the necessary nutrients.

Based on my activity level, I eat around 2200 calories and will see a loss of about .5-1 lb each week. It's enough that I don't feel deprived and can have indulgences while overall making wise food choices.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    you should eat your tdee to maintain, and around 20% less to lose.
    http://iifym.com/calculators/tdee-calculator/
  • samsamnojam
    samsamnojam Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It does get confusing, especially when you look at all the different regimes and diet plans. I'm doing the Rosemary Conley plan, which starts you off on 1200 calories a week, for two weeks. I just find that is too low. I go mad with cravings, then I fall off the rails and end up bingeing. From dieting in the past, I know I lose weight more easily if I eat more.

I really think 1200 is too low for someone your age. I'm using my BMR as the main guideline for what to eat. My TDEE is much higher - over 2000 kcal per day. I'm not sure if I'd lose weight if I ate that much. Seems to be different opinions on that here.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    The only reason I don't eat 1200 is that I feel hungry and deprived on 1200 and I would end up unsuccessful. Lots of people feel just fine on 1200 so they stick to it and are successful.
    I think that whole "starvation mode" thing is a little tricky and one size does not fit all.
  • Makoce
    Options
    My BMR is about 1477 calories.
    I do the things I listed above for exercise, and my TDEE - 20% comes out to about 1,625 calories.
    I normally make it to about 1500 calories a night.
    I have been not feeling well at all though, I feel better now ( I use to be a binge eater ) so im sure 1,600 calories will be a snap for me if not hard for me this coming week because the old habits are back due to my health being back.