Lost 5 lb in 10 days! And in a healthy way

Options
Netting about 1400-1500 calories a day.

I followed key points that my fit husband gave me (he got them from reading science articles)

1) If you eat less, you must exercise or your metabolism will slow down. You must exercise at least every other day.
2) It takes 20 minutes of continuous cardio for your body to start burning fat. But once it starts, it is ready to burn fat for the next 24 hours.
3) You need fat with every meal for nutrients and calcium to be absorbed by your body. So one should try to have unsaturated fats that are good for your body.
4) All calories are not created equal, and eating more unprosessed fresh foods does make a difference.

I started my new lifestyle when I came back from an overindulgent vacation and weighted in at 164.7 on the 29th. I ran 8 days out of 10. I had one cheat evening out with 3 drinks and spicy handmade noodles with cumin lamb in chili oil sause :) . I had to slow down in the last 3 days and not run as much because what feels like the bone in the calf really hurts. (must be from a day I had a 900 calorie burger and run 5 miles to get to under 1,400 for the day). That was one mistake on my part.

2 days I ate as high as 1,800, but got it down to under 1400 by exercise.

It looks like the metabolism theory has something to it - as I am loosing more weight than a calorie deficit can account for.
I waited almost 2 days to post this, to make sure this is not water fluctuation.

Replies

• tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    congratulations, sounds like you're off to a great start!

don't forget to take into account that when you dramatically change your routine your body take a little while to adjust so in the first few weeks of a new eating style you will likely see more lbs dropping than later on. don't give up though, great job!
  • Lish1234
    Lish1234 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Great information! Well done - that's an impressive achievement!!
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options

don't forget to take into account that when you dramatically change your routine your body take a little while to adjust so in the first few weeks of a new eating style you will likely see more lbs dropping than later on. don't give up though, great job!
    Good point. Also lots of stored glycogen was burned which flushes water with it, it can take more than 2 days for water levels to stabilize, it can even take weeks with drastic lifestyle changes.

To lose 5 lbs of fat in 10 days, you'd have to be 1750 calories under every single day. Maybe you did?
  • xtrmtrnng
    Options

Good point. Also lots of stored glycogen was burned which flushes water with it, it can take more than 2 days for water levels to stabilize, it can even take weeks with drastic lifestyle changes.

To lose 5 lbs of fat in 10 days, you'd have to be 1750 calories under every single day. Maybe you did?

Yes, keep up the good work, but don't get frustrated if it slows. Your calorie deficit may not be adding up to losing that much fat in 10 days. I only point that out, so you can still feel on track if it slows. Also, don't worry if some of it comes back temporarily either. As noted, some of the weight loss can be due to glycogen stores being burnt up, which results in a lot of water weight being lost. I specifically end up cycling mine due to supplement cycles/changes and changes in routine at times, and I'll move 7-8 pounds in just a few days, but it's mostly all water. Nevertheless, depending on your total deficit, a big portion of that could be a solid loss over that time period.

Again, don't get it wrong, you certainly did lose the weight! It's good that you work harder to hit your deficit each time after you've had that burger or whatever it was each time, so keep up the good work. Sometimes I run, so I can then eat pizza (ok, sometimes it's after the fact but all the same). That's a winning approach.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    11 lb down after 22 days!

WOW, I am feeling so encouraged.

I know I am having that big a calorie deficit, and should not be loosing 0.5 per day, but there it is, very consistently.

I guess the way the body works is quite complicated.

My pants button!!! The ones I had to use maternity belly band to wear. My arms are looser in my sleeves.

My lower calfs is hurting when I walk though, but I know I can't stop running, because my body has been responding so great to my new routine.