Working out 6x a week, 1200 cals a day-taking forever

Options
2»

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a heck of a lot more fuel - and you can lose weight if you eat more than 1200 with that amount of exercise. With your calories so low you are risking messing your metabolism up and losing lean tissue as well as fat.

This is a good starting point: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

But great work on the exercise - sounds like you are doing all the right things with it :)

THIS for sure ^^^^^
  • lag4908
    Options
    So I am eating about 1200 calories a day....give or take. I try to burn 400-600 calories a day through cardio and weight lifting 6x a week. I've lost 9lbs so far but it's taking a really long time. When I did Jenny Craig last year I was losing 2-4lbs a week, and wasn't even working out. I usually drop weight quickly, however this time I'm losing tons of inches but not so many pounds. Ihould I increase my calorie intake? Anyone else increase than see better results?

So why are you unhappy?

I'm very happy, I just want to make sure I'm doing this thing correctly. So often people go about losing weight the wrong way and wind up gaining everything back. I'd rather be as knowledgeable as possible, not ignorant of how to do this whole thing correctly.
  • lag4908
    Options
    YES. Also, do your TDEE. Follow this link to another forum on here. This has helped me SO SO much. I'm eating more, losing more. IT WORKS....so far. I'm only a week in. lol. But I've lost 2.6lbs this past week. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

YOU HAVE TO EAT. EAT EAT EAT. Just don't do the refined sugars, carbs and stuff like that. Go for lean meat, skip the sodas. I lost 5lbs the first week just by cutting out everything liquid EXCEPT WATER. That's all I drink now. The more water you drink, the less water you'll retain. (Yes, I have the problem with water, I'm not gonna lie.) BUT TRY! And if you have a problem filling calories, do a protein shake. That's what I do. Eat something solid with it though unless it's a meal substitute, if you don't, the toilet seat will be your butts best friend. Don't worry about the sugar in fruit. I wouldn't eat a WHOLE LOT of it, but still have at least 1-2 servings of it a day. I drink Silk Fruit&Protein in the morning with breakfast. Usually a soup with veggies or a sandwhich with my protein shake for lunch(because I don't wake up early enough to exercise and eat breakfast before lunch in a sensible time frame)

Sorry so long, I just wanted to share!!!

Thank you! I only drink water, anything else makes me bloat! I am going to look into some low cal protein shakes to drink after my workouts. This whole weight loss thing is really confusing when you don't know all the terms, etc.
  • lag4908
    Options
    I had a very hard time losing weight working out 6x a week and strictly eating 1200 calories. I bumped it up to 1600-1800 and now the weight is coming off.

Maybe I will bump up my cals, it just seems like after I eat back my deficit I'm so full and don't want to eat anything else.
  • chevysarah
    Options
    I was only eating 1200 cals a day and walking a lot but not seeing the progress I wanted. I upped the cals to 1400 and BOOM things were happening. My jeans fit better so fast and I had more energy and felt great. Funny how 200 extra cals a day made a huge deal!
  • lag4908
    Options
    Just read that road map some of you posted, trying to take it all in and understand. AHH this is so damn confusing!
  • laurengrace94
    Options
    You aren't eating enough. I would try 1500-1700 calories :)
  • lag4908
    Options
    You aren't eating enough. I would try 1500-1700 calories :)

Thank you--I'm going to try!
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Just follow the instructions on the post. He just wrote a lot to explain how it all works and affects your body. I was confused at first as well, and then it all came together. You gotta eat more to burn more basically.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Probably dropped weight quickly cause it was combination of muscle and water.. After awhile your body stalls when netting 300 calories.. you may want to have your BF tested and be surprised at the high number. Eat appropriately for your workouts..