To lift dumbbells or not?

Options
So, I am currently lifting and doing cardio while I try my shot at losing weight... I just started the stronglift 5x5 program and just finished my first week..
I like lifting as a form of exercise though.

I know you're supposed to give your muscles time to repair [ over about 48 hours ], but my question is... Would it be okay if I lifted some pretty light dumbbells whenever I felt like doing tiny bits of strength? Talking 16-20lbs combined.

Replies

• joeyaknow
    Options
    A person cannot successfully do a strong weight-loss program and strong weightlifting program at the same time. This is for a couple reasons:

1) You don't have the day-to-day energy to do both.
    2) The latter will require great amounts of calorie consumption whereas the former requires a calorie deficit.

When you lose a large amount of fat, you also lose a certain amount of muscle. They counteract each other in this respect.

However, you should lift small sets every other day to minimize muscle atrophy as you cut weight.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    It is my understanding that you can do "cardio" style training by using less than ~60% 1RM weight.
  • LoganAnthony6
    Options
    A person cannot successfully do a strong weight-loss program and strong weightlifting program at the same time. This is for a couple reasons:

2) The latter will require great amounts of calorie consumption whereas the former requires a calorie deficit.

When you lose a large amount of fat, you also lose a certain amount of muscle. They counteract each other in this respect.

However, you should lift small sets every other day to minimize muscle atrophy as you cut weight.

I have the energy to do both even on my 1600-2000 calorie daily intake.. I understand I need more if I want to "bulk up", but all i'm really trying to do is keep my current muscle while losing weight.

Thanks for the response.
  • LoganAnthony6
    Options
    It is my understanding that you can do "cardio" style training by using less than ~60% 1RM weight.

Can you dumb this down? I'm new to all of this lifting stuff and don't understand.
  • Treewud
    Options

Ive been doing weight lifting, cardio and dieting and ive had no problem at all. ive actully notice some mucle gain. Anyway im not sure about the lifting on off days i dont see it helping any you dont gain mucle unless you push them and do progressive overload but like i said im not sure. The only reason i posted was because i didnt want to stop weight lifting because one comment that says u cant when theres actully alot of differant opinions on the subject.
  • LoganAnthony6
    Options
    Bump.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Give each muscle group at least 48 hours rest in between. You could do Monday, Wednesday, Friday upper body and Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday lower body with Sunday as a rest day.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Lifting your dumbbells on your rest day at a light weight would be more of a cardio activity. Stronglifts is an intense program. Just stick to that and do some cardio on your off days.
  • LoganAnthony6
    Options
    Give each muscle group at least 48 hours rest in between. You could do Monday, Wednesday, Friday upper body and Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday lower body with Sunday as a rest day.

Can't really do this on the Stronglift 5x5 program since it incorporates lower body and upper body every shot.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    You don't need 48 hours for each muscle group.
  • grammystef26
    grammystef26 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is no. If you want to do something use body weight exercises to build stamina and endurance-squats, push ups, planks. Jump rope bike, run these all require strength to perform accuately. Hope this helps!
    Stef
  • toddis
    Options

Can you dumb this down? I'm new to all of this lifting stuff and don't understand.

1RM= 1 rep max. The amount you can lift without being able to lift more.

You should probably read up on the Stronglifts.com website to see what they suggest
    for your off days and cardio.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Muscle building takes place during the rest cycle. Why do you want to compromise the rest cycle?
  • LoganAnthony6
    Options
    Muscle building takes place during the rest cycle. Why do you want to compromise the rest cycle?

I never said I wanted to compromise the rest cylcle. That's why I ASKED if it would be okay for me to do anything strength related between rest days.
  • toddis
    Options

I never said I wanted to compromise the rest cylcle. That's why I ASKED if it would be okay for me to do anything strength related between rest days.

If your intent is to do strength building accessory work, do that on the days you actually lift.

Peruse their primary site, you'll get a lot of decent information.
  • LoganAnthony6
    Options

If your intent is to do strength building accessory work, do that on the days you actually lift.

Peruse their primary site, you'll get a lot of decent information.

That would work in holding me over, I think. Additional, light weights to my stronglift. Hopefully I don't crave lifting on the off days. :D

Thank you.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I suggest doing some hiit on your non lifting days. Very effective. I personally do hiit running with strong lifts. I run full pelt, about 16km per hour for a minute, slow to 8km per hour for a couple minutes, rinse and repeat for 20 minutes.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

I'm not exactly sure what this poster is saying especially since their understanding of the strong lifts program seems lacking, but keep lifting using strong lifts. I would not lift between as your muscles need that rest and recovery. If you just started strong lifts it will be easy, but that will change quickly and you will really need that rest day between workouts. Stick with the program. If you want to do some light cardio on your rest days, a brisk walk, bike ride or whatever for about 30 minutes that would be fine, but I would highly discourage lifting on your rest days.
  • LoganAnthony6
    Options
    Okay! I'll just stick mostly to what i've been doing, which is the stronglifts and 30 minute cardios 6 days a week with perhaps some additonal dumbbell training on lifting days! Thanks for the helpful responses!