protein

Options
I'm in a nutrition class and my instructor says I must eat 74 grams of protein a day.
My fitness pal says I am to have 43 grams a day. That's a big difference. Who is
right?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up at 15% of your daily calories from protein. most people that workout find 15% too low, try increasing protein to 25%, and lower fat and carbs by 5% each. at 25% you should be close to the 74 grams.
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    As you log your exercise it will adjust the protein. My doctor tells me to shoot for 60 no matter what but you need to make sure you drink enough water and eat enough veggies to filter it out.
  • louloup
    louloup Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. I aim to get a ratio of 40/40/20 protein/carbs/fat

I also try to eat between 100 and 140 grams protein a day.

I exercise alot and do not want to lose muscle and have heard that eating lots of protein prevents this.

You can change your ratio on MFP in the settings menu.

:)
  • tammy4720
    tammy4720 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm not sure who's right, but I know that I'm struggling to keep my proteins down to 45g as MFP suggests. It seems like I'm running closer to 60g ea. day.

I know that it's not good for our bodies to consume too much protein, but am hoping I'm still in a healthy range.

Good luck to you :happy:
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Your nutrition instructor is probably referring to the blanket recommendation according to the USDA Pyramid. That was what I experienced in both my biology of nutrition and nutrition for wellness courses. MFP takes your personal info and calculates it for you based on you, individually. Thats probably why the difference. ????
  • cmurphy04722
    cmurphy04722 Posts: 254
    Options
    A lot of people eat far more protein than their body needs. Listen to your doctor, do some research, and find out what works best for your body. Personally, my ratios are along the lines of 60carb /20prot /20fat so after a workout I get maybe 70 grams of protein in a day.
  • magickfiddle
    Options
    It also depends on what kind of protein you are eating. Any animal protein doesn't digest as well as fruit and veggie protein, so you have to eat more. That's not saying you should.... you might try to eat soy and other plant-based proteins and see if you hit your goals easier.
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    MFP has it set low too, I changed mine to 25%, the American Heart Association suggests 20 to 25%. Good luck I hope this bit of info is helpful.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Right, 15% is the recommended minimum without exercise for an adult.

25% is generally considered plenty. Over a specific amount and your body won't use the amino acids, it'll shuttle them off to the Kreb's cycle to be used as energy (not a particularly good thing unless you are doing a specific type of diet, I.E. Low carb). Very few people need more than this amount, a small amount of elite body builders need more, but if you are at that level, you know how much you need (or you should at least).