how much did you lose before people noticed?

Options

Replies

• AngelaKelly02
    AngelaKelly02 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I lost 2kg and the girls at work mentioned it. Maybe it just depends on the people you spend time with. I work with all women who often obsess over dieting and weight loss so when anyone loses or gains any weight it's always mentioned.
  • phawley13
    phawley13 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that the people I see on a regular basis tend not to notice if they don't know I am trying to loose. If it has been a while they notice more, but a lot of the people I know are very vocal so they say something. Plus some of them see me in corsets or something similar so it is easy to notice then. I would say those I see often started to notice around 20lbs, but I carry a lot in my stomach so it is easy to notice when the belly starts to get smaller. If you loose weight all over it tends to take longer
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    People have generally noticed on me and said something and others don't. I think some people may be jealouse of someone for losing and other times maby they just don't know how to say it.
  • tjham1
    tjham1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Soon to be XH noticed at 20 lbs. Most others noticed at around 35 lbs. My Son in law just recently commented in the nicest way. I mentioned going to an exercise class and he said "Oh! I thought you've been looking very slender lately!"
  • Divine53
    Divine53 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The first time it was mentioned was at about 34 pounds lost, at 45 + pounds lost it gets mentioned alot :D
  • mrsstafford618
    mrsstafford618 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I lost about 30lbs before people started noticing.
  • mariclemm
    Options
    I've lost fifty pounds so far and I haven't had anyone comment on it on their own. I have mentioned it to people at work and my parents about how much I've lost though. After I told my dad, he did tell me that it had looked like I had lost-- so at least there's that!

But I don't mind, I'll just keep losing and eventually when I'm over a hundred pounds lighter people wouldn't be able to help but notice! :D
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My face started slimming down really fast (yay for that!), so a few people, like my neighbor that I bump in to walking the dog, and a couple people from work noticed within about the first 10 or 15 pounds.

My husband noticed at about 15 or 20 pounds.

People I don't see often seem to notice more than people I see a lot.

We just had our taxes done, and our tax guy, who we see once a year for an hour, was very surprised and made some nice comments. I thought it was funny, because we don't see him often and for such a short time, and he usually seems like he's so focused on his work.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I started at a lower weight - close to 180 - but I guess people other than my family really started noticing at 150. 140, they were flipping out; 130, I started getting 'concerned' comments; 125, forget it, 'too skinny!' etc.

I feel best between 128 and 133, and people seem to prefer me at the top end of that.

My suggestion: don't look to others' comments to support you! Focus on your process and your own goals. One annoying thing I've noticed is that people at 200+ sometimes don't get affirmation as readily as people at lower weights, just a perception thing, I think. Best to ignore it, and use your own metrics - weight, measurements, before/after pics, how you feel.
  • SDHudgins1976
    Options
    My pastor's wife noticed already, and I've only lost 11 pounds. No one else has said anything, so when the rest of the world starts to notice no telling!
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have lost 42 pounds and no one at work has really said anything....I think it's a combination of a few things: 1. They see me everyday and because our office is so cold I wear baggy hoodies (yes, I know, you can still see it in my face) 2. People are just jealous.

Personally, I think it's more so #2 than anything. When I went to my National Guard drill everyone commented, tho. Feels good when people notice and comment on your hard work, but remember, you're doing this for you, not anyone else.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I lost 2 pants sizes before people said anything. <dont recall lb amount > I think it also depends on how often people see you, like people who don't see you often will notice sooner I've heard.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I noticed changes around 15lbs, others started noticing around 30lbs...or at least make comments.
  • Aviflora
    Aviflora Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Being only 5 feet, a few pounds can really change my appearance. I'm happy to say, with 11 MFP pounds (and a few more, based on the day) lost, I get comments pretty frequently. :) If not from my family, then from old and new friends. Yay! :D
  • CalvinLosingIt
    CalvinLosingIt Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have lost 22 pounds, and no one has commented. Except those that I told I am dieting.
  • Reecebullet
    Reecebullet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I think some people do notice, but they either feel too awkward to mention it or that it's not their place to say. Then some people don't notice because they just don't pay any attention.

It bothered me at first when people didn't say anything, but now it really doesn't. I did this for me, so other people not saying anything isn't bothering me at all anymore.
  • emmygrems
    emmygrems Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    after around 10 kilos people started to notice, so around 22 pounds. I don't really like people saying anything...it makes me feel uncomfortable because I think in my head "Oh god they probably thought i was really fat before" or "thanks for the compliment...but i could definitely lose more"
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I went down about 20 pounds before people starting noticing. And then they wanted to know what "diet pill" I was taking. They seem to be terrified at the fact that I just ate less and exercised more, lol.
  • beckimj
    beckimj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am at 43 pounds lost so far (since this is my second start, my weight loss looks like less). Other than my husband, the only person who noticed was my hair stylist.
  • lckennedy00
    Options
    I would say that people noticed when I went form 170 to 150 pounds and it was mainly the people who did not see me as often. Some of my co-workers mentioned it also.