Just because you CAN have a 2 pound per week goal

Options
2»

Replies

• jenifergotti
    jenifergotti Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Yea, I only have about 10 more pounds to go and for fun, I put in 2 pds per week and it only gave me like 1000 cal's per day to eat! Yeah right, in your dreams. Food is still one of my best friends! I just know how to manage it now. :laugh:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    BUMPBUMP.gif
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    Hmmm, haven't see this thread before.

Good point though!

I am in the dreaded "obese" category, but even for me 2lbs was too little. Someone suggested I eat closer to my BMR and I did much better. I am sticking with 1.5lbs/week for now!

Definitely made a difference and I didn't feel the need to chew off my arm! Realistic goals seems like a better idea for me and 2lbs/week wasn't realistic.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    argh. eat people.

thbumpphotobucketcaza_roll.gif
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    Sooo true. When my weightloss stalled I checked out my goals and discovered that with setting a 2lb a week goal I couldn't even maintain the proper deficit. MFP would stop it at 1200 and it would result in a "You should lose 1.8 lbs a week."

So instead of going the "I'll eat less!" route and manually changing my settings to less than 1200 I changed it to 1.5 lbs a week, giving me 1340 calories and WHAM - the weight started coming off faster again.

2 lbs was great when I started and had 75 that I wanted to lose. Now that I'm 15 lbs from "healthy" and 30 pounds from my goal, it's just not realistic.

Yay food!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    argh. eat people.

Eat people? :noway: :laugh:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    argh. eat people.

:laugh: :laugh: I don't think that's how it was meant but your thought is sooo much funnier. :laugh:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    argh. eat people.

:laugh: :laugh: I don't think that's how it was meant but your thought is sooo much funnier. :laugh:

I wasn't being grammatically correct?

Okay. People, please eat your exercise calories. Thank you.:tongue::laugh:
  • neesey
    neesey Posts: 8
    Options
    Banks, I really appreciate reading your posts. Since you brought up the 2 pound per week....I was hoping you could help me figure out what I should be eating in calories. I am suspecting that I am under-eating (and over-drinking wine!)

I am 42 years old, 5 foot 3 inches, I weigh 141, my BMI is 25.4, fat % is 35.3%. I am trying to lose 19 pounds (120) and I jog/walk for 3 miles 5 to 6 days a week. The treadmill says I burned 400 calories, but I know that is too high. I am currently set with MFP for losing 2 lbs a week (which is why your post caught me eye) and it has given me 1200 calories.

I know you are not a medical doctor, but you sound like you have done your reseach and I would love to benefit from it.

Thank you so much.
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Options
    I have a lot of weight to lose, but as long as I'm heading in the right direction I'm not that bothered if it's 1lb, 5lbs, 8lbs, whatever.

I'm training as well and I know my muscles react pretty quickly when I get my butt in gear so I know it's balancing. After 3 weeks I feel a lot healthier and I can walk up the stairs without feeling knackered.

That's the right direction for me, the scales are there to let me know I'm still doing right, the rest will come.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Banks, I really appreciate reading your posts. Since you brought up the 2 pound per week....I was hoping you could help me figure out what I should be eating in calories. I am suspecting that I am under-eating (and over-drinking wine!)

I am 42 years old, 5 foot 3 inches, I weigh 141, my BMI is 25.4, fat % is 35.3%. I am trying to lose 19 pounds (120) and I jog/walk for 3 miles 5 to 6 days a week. The treadmill says I burned 400 calories, but I know that is too high. I am currently set with MFP for losing 2 lbs a week (which is why your post caught me eye) and it has given me 1200 calories.

I know you are not a medical doctor, but you sound like you have done your reseach and I would love to benefit from it.

Thank you so much.

I find it difficult to swallow that you have a BMI of 25.4 and a body fat % of 35.3%, something sounds off there. The two don't line up. Granted I know BMI can be pretty far off when you get close to your goal weight, but not by THAT much usually. How did you have your body fat tested? And was it recent?

First, yes, I think 2 lbs a week is a very large goal for someone who only has 20 lbs to go, probably unattainable without some SERIOUS effort. More realistic would probably be about 1 lb per week until you get down to around 12 or 10 lbs, then closer to 1/2 lb per week at that point (roughly). Incidentally, you aren't actually set at 2 lbs per week. Your maintenance is probably (assuming you are lightly active) probably around 1700 calories a week, so you're probably already at 500 a day or 1 lb per week. Just so you know (MFP doesn't allow less than 1200 a day, no matter what you set your goal for). But if you exercise, you should eat those exercise calories, as your body really isn't at a place where it can handle large deficits. This is all prefaced on that body fat # being wrong. I can't think of a reason that your body fat % would be 35% with your total weight being 141 and your height being 5'3" that just seems impossible to me. That would mean you have about 50 lbs of fat on your body, which is way more than is reasonable for someone at your height and weight. Maybe it's a real number, and I'm just not thinking about it the right way, but it's very shocking if that's the case. And if it is, you should immediately forget the idea of losing weight, and focus on losing fat while in more of a maintenance nutrition plan (like more strength and resistance training to gain some muscle mass), because you have some serious muscle mass shortfalls if this is truly the case.
  • neesey
    neesey Posts: 8
    Options
    Banks, I see that you have changed your account name, but I am still going to call you Banks if that is o.k.

I had a Tanita Body Composition Analyzer test done at the doctor's office 2 weeks ago and that is where I am getting those numbers. Have you heard of this machine? All I did was stand on what looked like a scale and after the nurse put in some statistical information about me into the machine, it printed out this receipt looking piece of paper and had these various percentages on it. I really don't know what the reliability is, but since it was done at the doctor's office, I assumed it to be accurate.

I do have alot of fat around my midsection (the spare tire). My legs aren't too bad and my arms aren't horrible. It just seems to accumulate around my middle. Of-course I hear alot of 40+ women say that too.

This print out says my target BMI should be 26% with a predicated weight of 124.6 pounds and a predicted fat mass of 32.41 pounds. And it says at the end 19 pounds of fat to lose.

I was totally confused by it and just thought you might give me some insight. I just want to make sure I am eating the correct number of calories since I have only lost like 2 pounds in the last 5 months. (I have only been on MFP for one week.)

Thank you, Banks.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    If you really want accurate Body Fat % done, I would use a Bod Pod or do a hydrostatic test. You can get a DEXA test done if you have someplace close by but they tend to get expensive. The tanita professional models are better than the ones you buy for your home (not all that accurate), but still, they rely on certain things being true that aren't always true, like the fact that you are properly hydrated and that you have normal bio-electrical resistance (among other factors). Even getting a very experienced person to do a caliper test would give you accurate (relatively speaking) results to compare to the scale (most good gyms will have or know how to have that done for you for cheap money).

I have no idea how old that scale is, whether it was set up correctly, and/or whether the person using it really knows how to use it (you'd be surprised).

Note that I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm saying I don't know, but it sounds a little high to me. Those scales have about a 6% margin for error anyway, so you may (even if it was done completely accurately) still be 6% high, which would make much more sense to me. If you said your BF% was30, I would have thought that sounded as if it could be true.