"cheating"

Options
Just a few questions. I have read on here several times before where people have a "cheat" day or meal. I have NO self-control...one bite turns into the whole thing that turns into a bad meal that might as well be a "bad" day and so on. Anyway I was just wondering what you guys do and how it works for you? Do have a "cheat" day or meal? How close do you have it to your weigh-in day and how often do you have it? How has it made an impact on your weight loss? Just wondering these things so I thought I would ask. :flowerforyou: Thanks in advance for any helpful information.

Replies

• TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm totally curious too! If I eat my "cheat" foods, it totally leads to cravings. Maybe not everyone can do it? I also end up trying to play with the caldendar. "Ok 7days...hmmm well how can I do this again soon..."

I had a friend who worked out a lot (marathoner type) and his mentality was that he earned that day of indulgence.
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Well my "cheat" day is on Sundays.. I don't over indulge I just have a few "bad" things here and there and enjoy my "day off".. I weigh in on Fridays so it doesnt affect my weigh in day at all.. I have heard that u should cycle and have at least one "cheat" day a week becuz if not then ur body is going to go into starvation mode and u will stop losing weight.. Its kinda like stoking the fire when the flames go down ya know? Hope I helped, and good luck :-)!!

P.S. I chose Sunday becuz even god took Sundays off to rest :-P
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I haven't yet had a cheat day. I eat the foods, just smaller portions, I want and stay within my calories.
  • panther87
    panther87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Sunday's are my 'cheat' day. This is a day i spend with my church family and my own family. this is the day i have a cookie for breakfast from the welcome center @ church and then i take my kids out to lunch. it's usually their pick on where to eat. we go between Mexican, Chinese or a local steakhouse. I usually overeat and lunch and am full all day. supper is usually a frozen pizza or my husband will get a take out pizza from a local pizza place. or it may popcorn with LOTS of butter and salt while watching football or a movie. My weight in day was Tuesday's and its now Fridays. Hope this helps:happy: Good luck to you all!
  • CAGOMEA
    CAGOMEA Posts: 27
    Options
    HUMM SUNDAY DOES SOUND LIKE A REALLY GUD CHEAT DAY. ITS THE DAY MOST PEOPLE HAVE LOTS OF FAM AND FOOD AROUND. WHO WANTS TA SIT AROUND AND WATCH OTHERS EAT SUNDAY'S CAKE AND NOT SNEAK A LIL PIECE? NOT ME. LOL.

♥KIT K@T♥
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    dont do it, cheat days are for the weak IMO and anyone I know that has these entire days of cheating never lose any fat.
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    My cheats are normally a result of satisfying a craving. And even then I try to limit my self to small versions of it. For example I love the ultimate bacon cheeseburger from Jack in the Box. Instead of getting that I'd just get the Jr. Bacon Cheese burger. So that way i get the taste I want without all of the calories that comes with the big daddy burger. And much to my surprise, the smaller burger actually stops my hunger that I thought had to be dealt with only by huge burgers.

I typically, don't have an entire day to cheating either. I try to limit to only one meal. Or if I know its coming early on, I'd try to make as much room for this meal as possible and also toss some exercise in there to try to counter it.

I wouldn't say people who have these relapses are weak though. I'd call them human.
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily call it cheating, but I do tend to take it easy on the weekends - I try not to binge, but I don't feel guilty if I eat a few extra calories on the weekend. My usual weigh in day is Thursday so if I have a terrible weekend I have a few days to try to make up for it. One thing I have found is that if I give myself a little treat a few times a week then I don't have the cravings nearly as bad on the weekend - my newest favorite treat is Chocolate cheerios - virtually the same nutrition info at multigrain or honey nut cheerios, but chocolatey :happy: If I have some extra calories at the end of the day I reward myself with a small bowl - 1/2 cup cheerios and 1/4 cup milk.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I typically have a "cheat" day on Sunday's also but it is always the day of my most intense workout. To me, cheat means that I might have a bit of a desert with one or two meals. However, I have kept it within 100-200 calories of my daily calories. I try not to go over more than the 200.

In reality, don't have to have a cheat day. However, you do want to change up the foods you eat every day. So if you have the same breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday then try some new foods 1 day a week but you can still loose weight by staying within your calorie limits. At least, that is what worked for me.

Good Luck.
  • Joscelle
    Joscelle Posts: 93
    Options
    I don't really have a cheat day, but to echo the others, the weekends are little bit more difficult to stay within the guidelines - with kids and going out to eat and all. However, I try to exercise extra during the weekends so as to mitigate the unintended cheating. I kinda fall off the wagon on the drinking 8 glasses of water in addition to the increased calories. Anyway, no advice here, just know that you're not alone.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    My biggest cheat so far has been a mini Reese's peanut butter cup out of the freezer (yummy!) I can't yet allow myself to think that way. I am on track to a goal and I have had a beer or a food that probably wasn't in my daily plan but I almost never am more that 50 calories over my 1220 daily plan.

Maybe when I hit maintenance (sp?). :smile:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    dont do it, cheat days are for the weak IMO and anyone I know that has these entire days of cheating never lose any fat.
    I'll agree cheat days or weeks or cheat monthes or years. LOL are dangerous. If you're asking about how they work, it might be something you want to avoid entirely.

Simply eat healthy and incorporate some of the regular foods you enjoy in small quantities in your everyday food plan. If you don't feel ready to add in certain foods and KNOW without a doubt they'll only trigger you to eat large quantities of carb junk food. I'd suggest you might consider keeping them away from your daily food diary for awhile.

I've never had a 'cheat' day well that's not true, I had 'cheat years' before joining MFP. :blushing: :tongue:

After joining MFP I don't have the urge to eat crappy anymore, some ppl that join feel they need to steer clear of any junk to stay safe and focused, others incorporate it every so often so they don't find it triggering them.

Sometimes we have to figure out these things on our own as we're all so different.

Becca:drinker:
  • ritadani
    ritadani Posts: 6
    Options
    right now, I just "cheat" a little everyday by having a little controled treat, but before I used to have a "cheat" day on saturday, where I wouldn't snack unconsciously, I would still have my meals at the same time, but I could have, for example, fried chicken or an hamburger for lunch. or a donut for breakfast. or a chocolate as a snack. you know, things that I would crave at that moment. I still cheat a bit more on saturdays because i always have social dinners and nights out in that day. oh, and now I don't weight myself, but my weight in was on sunday, and the cheat day would always kick my metabolism. I would sometimes sneak a weight in on saturday and be disappointed, and then on sunday, bam! 2 lbs less. lol.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day...but 1 cheat meal. I've also found that when I keep the portions under control, I don't even go over in calories on this day. Its fine to do when your new to your diet, but I found it personaly easier just to practice portion control and call it a cheat day anyhow. :bigsmile:
    Imo..I am NOT weak for having a cheat day. I have made a change to my eating habbits and working out, when I never did before. I'd say that takes strength to do, and I am losing weight and body fat. :flowerforyou:

If you have no self control and can't keep it to one meal/one day, than don't do it. Just try to keep things simple and free from temptation. Later on down the road it might be easier to control what you eat, or you may find you don't even want those foods anymore. :wink:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily call it cheating,
    I agree I find the word 'cheat' well, a bit strange to use since I've joined MFP, it seems much more of a diet word than eating healthy food way of life.
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I can't help ya here. I haven't been able to have 'cheat' day since joining MFP . I know what works for me, and If I have one of those days , I will not be able to get it back together again the next day. So for me, its best to steer clear of the junk I was eating before, but thats just me. Everyone is differant and u have to play around with calories/cheats/ etc and see what works for you :-)

Good Luck in whatever you decide to do for YOU :)
  • AbiLuV
    AbiLuV Posts: 47
    Options
    I don't think it's fare to call people "weak" if they take a cheat day. If you can't not eat the whole package or Oreo's, maybe you have some control issues, but if I allow myself 3 on Saturdays I don't think that qualifies as weak. You still have to stay within your calories on a cheat day, you just have to learn how to juggle a bit. I will eat a smaller breakfast or lunch if I know I'm going out to dinner. What things do you like to eat when you cheat? If it's pizza try making a mini one for yourself vs ordering it. I take flat bread or naan, cover with sauce (bout 2tbsp), add 1/4 cup shredded 2% milk mozzarella, and a few turkey pepperoni.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    i try to have one at least once a month, and usually on the day when i know i'll have the least control over what i eat. DH and i are incredibly busy people so i choose Saturdays since that day usually turns into "catch-up, visit friends, shop, errands, events, etc" day. anddddd... therefore my weigh-in day is Friday morning, the day before.
    pros: any time i experience cravings or temptations during the week, i can just plan to treat myself to whatever it is that i'm "craving" on my cheat day. it's easier for me to say no when i know that i can have it in just a few days. you develop healthy habits that you can carry on when you're no longer trying to LOSE but to maintain instead.
    cons: it does lead to cravings, progress can be a bit slower, but it's also more steady.

edit - just to clarify - i usually have a cheat MEAL. not day. and i don't worry about staying with in my calories for that day... because heck. if i can stay within my MFP guidelines, why not have it every day of the week if i want to? healthy living isn't punishment. but i do log it - i think that's very important.
  • AlexandraNK
    AlexandraNK Posts: 54
    Options
    I've only been on here for about a week and a 1/2 and this idea of a "cheat day" freaks me out. I don't think i'm weak i just know portion and self control can be hard for em when it come to food. I have my birthday coming up and some special occations, so I just know i need to be careful. I may not stay in my calorie goal for the day but I will try or at least make an effort not to go too crazy! I'm just going to keep doing what i'm doing durring the week and on those special days i'll just try my best to control myself and if i mes sup theres always tomarrow to get back on the wagon. I think "cheat days" might work for some people but really its about letting yourslef be and not putting to much pressure on yourself thats unrealistic. Some days are good and soem are bad, but hopefully the good ones will out weigh ( so to speak) the bad ones. Good luck everyone!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options

from the looks of things i've lost exactly the same amount as you but i went the "weak" route. oh and if you're concerned with the time issue? i did it in 6 months. i've been in maintenance mode for a while due to not being able to afford a whole new wardrobe.