Which do you find harder Elliptical or Treadmill??

Options
124»

Replies

• abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Treadmill because I've been having knee problems lately. The elliptical is not as rough on my joints
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm really surprised that nobody had brought up that there are different types of elliptical machines.

At my previous gym, I loved the elliptical, I would use it for 2 x 10 minutes and found it a tough workout when doing HIIT. When it was on a "rest" minute I would push it with just my feet and use my arms in a running motion or put them behind my back and then would use the hand holds when it got hard - which it did because I used it at a high level. I did it at such an intensity that I really could only do it for 10 minutes. I did not like using the treadmill because I felt more self concious and my balance is not great.

At my new (cheaper) gym, the elliptical machines are terrible, they make me put too much pressure on my toes and I have to hold onto the handles or I fall off. They look expensive but the motion is completely different and I just cannot use them, which has forced me to get used to the treadmill. I would burn more calories in 10 minutes using the elliptical but I feel like using the treadmill has improved my ankles, knees, posture, balance and the places where I have been burning fat. I now do 2 x 14 minutes on the treadmill, doing alternate walking and running at a pace of 6.8 and 11.2. I miss the elliptical, but the ones at my gym are just rubbish!
  • wannatangle
    wannatangle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I do both. I like the elliptical because there is less impact on my joints. I find I burn equal calories according to the machines but I usually spend most of my treadmill time at an incline of 11 where I keep changing the settings on the elliptical. I like to do 30 minutes elliptical and then 30 minutes of treadmill, but sometimes I do the whole hour on one or the other.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I get a great workout from either but I have to say the treadmill is harder!
  • JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I like the treadmil much more than the eliptical. I can't do the elipitical for more than 10 minutes, but I am up to 35 minutes on the treadmil. I think, in my opinion, the eliptical is harder.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I'm really surprised that nobody had brought up that there are different types of elliptical machines.

At my previous gym, I loved the elliptical, I would use it for 2 x 10 minutes and found it a tough workout when doing HIIT. When it was on a "rest" minute I would push it with just my feet and use my arms in a running motion or put them behind my back and then would use the hand holds when it got hard - which it did because I used it at a high level. I did it at such an intensity that I really could only do it for 10 minutes. I did not like using the treadmill because I felt more self concious and my balance is not great.

At my new (cheaper) gym, the elliptical machines are terrible, they make me put too much pressure on my toes and I have to hold onto the handles or I fall off. They look expensive but the motion is completely different and I just cannot use them, which has forced me to get used to the treadmill. I would burn more calories in 10 minutes using the elliptical but I feel like using the treadmill has improved my ankles, knees, posture, balance and the places where I have been burning fat. I now do 2 x 14 minutes on the treadmill, doing alternate walking and running at a pace of 6.8 and 11.2. I miss the elliptical, but the ones at my gym are just rubbish!

i have one at home but have used others at my gym (different styles) and still find them easier than a treadmill.. i really like the machine that half stair climber, half elliptical.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    the elliptical is really easy, even when i have its resistance at 12+. yes i sweat, but i'm not panting away and my heart isn't racing, even after 70 minutes. with the treadmill, my feet hurt and i find it a lot more boring and a lot harder work. it also seems to burn less calories for some reason, even though i'm working harder.
  • galenofedgewood
    galenofedgewood Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I ask because me and close friend are having a debate..

For me the treadmill is much harder than the elliptical.. I hate the treadmill with the passion..

She says the elliptical is harder for her..

She also claims that from what she saw in the gym she used to work at, you get a better calorie burn on the elliptical..

So for you out there....which is harder and which do you feel gives you a better workout??

Better workout? It depends on what kind...

Treadmills kick my butt in no time. I don't like/care for running. My heart rate rockets in no time flat.

Elliptical are great for me to burn calories because I can be on those things for a long, long time. And with a relatively high to rather high tension rate.

But better? SO depends on what you're shooting for.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical better though it is harder than the treadmill . I hate running, HATE HATE running and walking just doesn't do enough for me, the elliptical gives me a better workout.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the treadmill's speed and incline.

As with everything - it's all about the effort you put in. Use the + button, then you will feel it.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'4" and have never been on an elliptical that felt comfortable. It feels so unnatural that I last 5 min max. Treadmill on the other hand, I can go 2 hours at 10% incline w/o issue. My t-mill intervals vary from 4.0 mph at 6% incline (min) to 3.3 @ 15% (max). I just started C25K and use 6.0 mph at 1-3% for running intervals.
  • tkw6
    tkw6 Posts: 14
    Options
    I dislike the elliptical because I feel it's hard on my knees..I'm tall with long legs so maybe that's why...I like the treadmill way better!