COUCH TO 5K!

Options
I had no idea what the "COUCH TO 5K" was until my MFP buddy Beccacore posted a topic about starting it herself. I looked it up online (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) and it seems like an achievable running plan. I'm excited to begin the "COUCH TO 5K" on Monday, May 10th, 2010.

I thought it would be cool to get a group together that starts around the same time.
That way we can discuss our progress and give each other updates on how we're doing. :]

Replies

• Ktbell626
    Ktbell626 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'll join! I'm starting next Tuesday as well. I was going to start this week but I have a nasty cough I am trying to get over.
  • mallorylouise
    mallorylouise Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I started running on a treadmill for a fitness class I'm taking in school, and this is about what I've been doing 2 days a week for the last 2 weeks, so I've got a little bit of a head start. My goal is to run a 5k in October in less than half an hour. Achievable, I think. I'm also doing p90x in the morning, but some evenings I feel like getting out and doing something else. I bet I could get my boyfriend to do it, too!
  • milesje
    milesje Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm in as well. I have been through the C25K program once, but I am starting it again to work on improving my speed. I ran my first 5K last weekend and thought I did OK for someone who just started running this January.
  • Rachelicious
    Options
    Woo! I'm excited.
    Good luck!
  • shawnae2
    shawnae2 Posts: 105
    Options
    I want to join. I am going to start on May 10th and get my mom to join. We want to run our first 5K in October.
  • Rachelicious
    Options
    Ahh! I had a rocky start to my running agenda this evening. While doing one of the 60 second running intervals my friend fell. She twisted her ankle and a nice chunk of flesh got ripped from her knee. We shall go at it again on Wednesday.
  • sarahjking
    sarahjking Posts: 4
    Options
    I was just going to post a message about C25K! I started on Sunday (May 9th) and wanted to see if others were interested in doing the same. I was going to run day 2 today, but it's raining outside and I don't have access to the gym. Day 2 - tomorrow!
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    I didn't even know this existed :smile:

As some inspiration for you I only started running 3 months ago and went from couch to 10k in that time :noway:

The thing I learnt was I had to commit as many days as possible to running so the muscles built up. I would run 5 days a week (sometimes 6) and gradually worked up the time.

Once you get past the 30 minute barrier it is very easy to go from 5k to 10k (only took me a couple of weeks) but the initial 0 to 30 minutes was really, really hard work :laugh:
  • Ktbell626
    Options
    Going to run today but I got side track. I will start tomorrow!
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    I didn't even know this existed :smile:

As some inspiration for you I only started running 3 months ago and went from couch to 10k in that time :noway:

The thing I learnt was I had to commit as many days as possible to running so the muscles built up. I would run 5 days a week (sometimes 6) and gradually worked up the time.

Once you get past the 30 minute barrier it is very easy to go from 5k to 10k (only took me a couple of weeks) but the initial 0 to 30 minutes was really, really hard work :laugh:

nice work! We're doing the couch to 5k too and it's taken us a bit longer than expected, but were doing well! Today, my friend brought a friend who wanted to start it from the beginning, so we took her out after our run, and i used my 60 second running intervals to work on upping the pace a bit. Good luck to all you guys starting out! It can be tough at first, but stick it out - you'll feel great once you are able to start running more minutes at a time! A real sense of accomplishment!! :)
  • coachreyes
    coachreyes Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    started last night. finished W1 D1. it felt good. i believe i will need to do week 1 twice and week 2 twice before attacking week 3, but i have no problem with that. i haven't run in years. i am planning on my first 5k on july 3.
  • Rachelicious
    Options
    I was supposed to do the second workout for week one this evening.. but my running buddy is sick.
    It is rescheduled for tomorrow night.

I'll probably have to repeat weeks one and two as well. The first fun was kicking my butt. ;]
  • Ktbell626
    Options
    completed W1 D1 as well! I have question for you guys, Do you guys eat something before you go running or not?
  • Seagrape
    Seagrape Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been through couch to 5k before...I love it! It is a great program. I completed it and my first 5K on March 27, 2004. My longest run is 8 miles. I'd never been a runner prior to this. I ran faithfully for 1 1/2 yrs, but have been hit or miss since. Whenever I start back up...I start with couch to 5k.

I am new to this site and just restarted couch to 5k this past Monday May 10. I completed Week 1 Day 2 tonight and plan on doing Week 1 Day 3 on Saturday. I'm VERY excited to be running again!! I love it, but there are times with raising 3 girls that it gets put on the backburner. It's great to meet everyone!
  • coachreyes
    coachreyes Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    i completed week 1 day 2 last night and will complete day 3 on saturday. it was much easier as i knew what to expect. only problem, it was about 90 degrees when i was running. LOL
  • Rachelicious
    Options
    This week was a BUST! Anything and everything that could go wrong did! Lol.
    I'm starting on the 17th.. Only got part of the W1D1 workout in.. so I pretty much NEED to start over. Haha.
    I planned on doing Week 1 twice anyway.. so it's all good.

Ktbell: I eat a little something before I go running. Mostly because I run at night after I get off work.. so the last time I ate was lunch.. I would probably PASS OUT if I ran on an empty stomach! Lol.
  • shawnae2
    shawnae2 Posts: 105
    Options
    Didn't start this week at all. I had a horrible week and there was no time for running. I am going to try and start on Sunday!!
  • Ktbell626
    Options
    Thanks answering my question. I ran with something in my stomach the other day, I think I am going to try to run on an empty stomach to see if I handle it alot better tommorow.
  • Rachelicious
    Options
    Thanks answering my question. I ran with something in my stomach the other day, I think I am going to try to run on an empty stomach to see if I handle it alot better tommorow.

How'd it go?!

I'm restarting tonight! :]
  • Ktbell626
    Options

How'd it go?!

I'm restarting tonight! :]

It went alot better running on an empty stomach. Good Luck tonight!