Low sodium recipes

Options
One of my biggest problems seems to be sodium levels. Does anyone have any good recipes, or just general food ideas that are low in sodium?
Jessica

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I cook with the same recipes, I just leave out the salt. Your taste buds will become accustomed to low salt food in a couple of weeks, and then many people find that they can taste the other flavours in the food better.
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a problem for me too, which is why I do not eat processed food - except cheese - and only then in low quantities.

I recent discovered Mrs. Dash - salt-free. It's a FINE herb and I don't even miss the salt. I sometimes use Morton's "No-Salt" in moderation. I don't like the taste, so I don't use it as liberally as I once used salt. Because I'm on very low carbs, the potassium in No-Salt (that is really potassium chloride rather than sodium chloride) fills in on the deficiencies.

I think that you will be surprised if you stop using salt. Your taste buds will change.
  • cmfruin2012
    cmfruin2012 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you -- struggling to keep sodium down (have discovered that low calorie choices I was making, such as "healthy" soup and Lean Cuisines are LOADED with salt -- as well as most deli meat and cheeses, even the GOOD stuff!). I did find this list of 100 low sodium snacks online: http://nwkidney.org/docs/healthyLiving/preventing/101_low_salt_snacks.pdf However, a lot of these seem high in sugar -- not necessarily healthy.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a pain. A couple thoughts --

* Look here: http://www.hearthealthyonline.com/healthy-recipes/low-sodium-recipes/index.html Lots of good recipes on this site in general, but they have a handful of really good ones in the low sodium file.
    * Skip as much pre-processed foods as you can. Lunch meats are a killer (Boar's Head has a line of low-sodium meats, but you're going to pay for the name brand). Seafood is high, too.
    * There are a number of low-sodium or salt-free spice blends out there or make your own.
    * If you're buying broths or canned vegetables for recipes always, ALWAYS buy the low-sodium or no-salt-added varieties. They have just about as much flavor and almost no sodium.
    * If you're an oatmeal fiend, like I am, buy plain oats (quick oats, steel cut, whatever floats your boat, I won't get into that debate) and add your flavoring to it. The pre-packaged packets are loaded with sodium.

And drink lots of water. I mean LOTS of water, especially with your higher sodium meals. I aim for 14-16 cups a day (8 cups is for the weak).
  • fivecardstudpts
    fivecardstudpts Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I find that it's just in the foods I eat. I personally dislike the taste of salt, I never add it to food, but I can't seem to get away from it already in food. I'm actually a pretty big cereal eater, even the healthy stuff, but it was killing me in my sodium levels. I've started to look at some of the other things I was eating, and everything is just so high, that I have a feeling that's why I can't seem to lose this weight. That plus the sugar. So just Che king to see if there was anything anyone liked, for the grocerie shopping day.
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I cut down a lot on my sodium intake when I discovered this wonderful recipe for mayonaise

1 egg
    1 Tbl vinegar

whip on high speed in blender until very foamy

1 cup vegetable oil - DRIBBLE IN VERY SLOWLY. All will emulsify. Stir once or twice in process

When it looks like mayo - add a liberal amount of No-Salt Mrs. Dash. You can also add a LITTLE artificial sweetener. Stir in and pulse it a few times.

Refrigerate covered for a maximum of a week.

Per ounce:
    cal 303
    carb 0.1
    protein 1.0
    sodium 5.8

Makes 6.5 oz.

A serving is usually a Tablespoon, but I put my dish filled with whatever on the scale, turn it on (or tare it), then add the mayo so that I can quickly determine what portion of an ounce I am using. It's so much easier, quicker, and accurate than using a tablespoon, and it allows me precise control over usage. It works well with my diet software (CalorieKing)

Compare that 5.8 of sodium with Hellman's 97.2 and you can see how quickly it adds up if you use this mayo with chopped meats or eggs, or use it as a base for sauces for your meats.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Hi, I dont suffer with high blood pressure but I prefer to eat a low isn sodium diet in the hope that I don't develop it in later life.
    I hear that this plan is pretty good for lowering BP http://dashdiet.org
  • rluedtke
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I can't believe how much sodium I consume and I don't eat a lot of processed foods nor do I add salt to recipes.

Here are some things I'm trying to do:
    Eat foods more natural to the orginial source (sautée real tomatoes instead of buying canned)
    Buying salt free or reduced sodium where I can
    Make my own salad dressings

If I feel like something salty, I have a piece of cheese or add some into a recipe.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    The two best things I've found for reducing sodium in cooking are Cambell's no salt added chicken or beef broths, and no salt added tomato sauce. Oh, and I sub Greek yoghurt for mayo and sour cream.