Can you drink diet coke and still lose weight?

Options
Hi guys! :smile:

I am new to MFP and was just looking to know if it is healthy to drink one can of diet coke per day? My friend is at slimming world and she says that you can drink as much as you want when losing weight.. However, after doing some online research I have found some sites saying it is extremely unhealthy due to the extra chemicals used etc! Would be most grateful for your comments as im extremely confused lol x

Replies

• CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking diet coke while eating a 1300 calorie Burger King meal, then NO, you won't lose weight.:wink:

I drink Coke Zero on occasion, but I prefer water or unsweetened ice tea because diet Coke does contain chemicals that probably aren't good for our bodies when consumed for long periods of time.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Yes.

In b4 aspartame, scare mongering etc etc
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I drink it occasionally and I'm sure it's not good for me (chemicals, including caffeine), but I'm still losing weight. Some studies have shown that consuming artificially-sweetened foods makes you eat more, as if your body is still trying to get "real" food, so you need to be aware of that.
  • ShamaraRobyn
    Options
    I've been drinking coke zero like water since September.
    I haven't died yet.
    I lost 20 September-October, and it wasn't the coke that made me stop.
    I think it's a great aid, you can feel like you're cheating and having something sweet without the calories :3
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs and I still drink diet coke , diet pepsi and diet dr. pepper. Then I also run 25 miles or more per week. But I only drink 1 bottle , 20oz, a day, and not every day to be honest. Water is better. Coffee is ok.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    There's probably better alternatives, but no there's no studies that show it's unhealthy unless you look at the studies on animals were they pump aspartame into them and find deleterious effects. It's the most studies additive around the world and over a 100 countries came to the same conclusion. Expect some pretty scary diarrhea of the mouth shortly though. :smile:
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Of course, but its full of crap stuff :laugh:
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It makes me lust for carbs for some reason, so it nets down to higher caloric intake for me when I drink it. Tea and water is good enough for me :3 And coffeeee <3
  • Mamalea32
    Options
    Sure u can.... It has no calories! The problem is the caffeine can be addicting and, personally the artificial sweetener makes my skin break out.
  • AmandaW01
    Options
    Of course you can drink it and still lose weight - its not good for you, but its unlikely to kill you (no matter what the scaremongerers say). This thread is doing the rounds - you can check any of the other several dozen of them :-) Chill out, watch what you eat, see food as fuel for making your body run and keep it fit and make your decisions that way. I don't tend to drink it, but only because I hate the taste - I do, however, have sweeteners in my tea and coffee, have done since I was in my teens and am still going strong!
  • XDiet_SlayerX
    Options
    Ok this is my general opinion.
    Anything in moderation is FINE.
    The chemicals in diet sodas are not healthy for you in high consumption nor is the non-diet sodas.
    I've seen people lose weight including myself with diet soda in their diets.
    You obviously want to consume mostly water.
    Everyone has some kind of a hate opinion towards this and I can understand your beliefs and probably legit resources although I have not seen anything horrible go wrong with drinking something like diet dr. pepper while trying to lose weight. Yes you might get bloated from the carbonation. Although if you do not have some kind of tasty consumption that you have ONCE in a while while dieting you are losing weight you will more than likely to go insane and just stop altogether.
    This is my two cents coming from someone that use to be a 300lb kid.
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    There are many other health effects that are not good for you in regards to drinking diet soda. It's not all about calories.

If you like the fizz, get small bottles of carbonated water. If you have a juicer, juice some awesome juice, add the carbonated water. There you go.
  • BeckyLH
    BeckyLH Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I try not tp drink too many fizzy drinks when dieting as I find I feel bloated.
  • applekrisp1988
    Options
    I drink plenty of Dt. Mt Dew and haven't died yet, and I'm losing weight. No calories.
  • dokme
    dokme Posts: 31
    Options
    I drink one pepsi a week or every other week and I have still lost pounds. just don't over drink it.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I drink an occasional diet soda.... maybe a 10 ounce serving a few times per month. Some people believe that soda consumption acts as a trigger to cause you to overeat, but It doesn't act as a "trigger food" for me. I love soda and I would drink it daily if it was healthy, but personally there is a lot of stuff in there that I don't want to be putting into my body on a daily basis. I feel the same way about crystal light or other sugar free drinks.... nice treat, but for hydration, I stick with water.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    soda diet or not will never be good for you and will never be touted as a weight loss tool but if you're reasonable with how much of you drink and you do your own research on the chemicals in just to know what you're ingesting I don't see why you can't lose weight drinking diet coke or coke zero or even regular coke.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    The only possible pitfall (assuming that you aren't sensitive to aspartame) is that some people report that artificial sweetener causes them to crave sweet foods. It's also a problem if you make less healthy choices in other areas on the basis that you've cut out sugary soft drinks.

Other than that, drink away!

Oh, and ignore the anti-aspartame scaremongers. Talk to them long enough, and you'll start to see that they tend to believe in conspiracies anyway.
  • jibber_jammer
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight, but please dont drink it! Drink pop sweetened with stevia instead, (health good section at any grocery store)
    Google "aspartame poisoning " and start soon your research. Many people get headaches, nausea and vomiting from aspartame. The chemical structure of aspartame is so similar to fermeldahyde that it can make it you ill. People with aspartame poising are often misdiagnosed as having MS. Your drinking something is one or two molecules away from being instant death.

Look at healthier alternatives and after a while of drinking good pop the regular stuff will taste gross to you.
  • amybabs92
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I wasnt referring to diet coke as being deadly or anything but im glad everyone is still alive haha :wink: Was just wondering if it affects weight loss! I appreciate your replys though think i might stick with water! :happy: x