Personal trainer

Options
Hello, just a thought wanted to hear some opinions. I do Yoga 3-4 times a week and run or do elliptical on the off days. I am thinking about hiring a personal trainer. Has anyone here benefited from using a personal trainer? I want to lose 30 pounds by the fall of this year and tone up. I belong to a Yoga studio that offers Pilates and I also belong to a 24 hour gym. My problem at the gym is that I haven't used the equipment in so long that I am a little intimidated by it so I think if I had a personal trainer they could show me what I should be doing to build muscle and tone.

Replies

• Lori603
    Options
    I don't use a personal trainer, but I do watch video's from one on youtube. its under livestrong on youtube, the trainers name is Michelle Trapper she is pretty awesome and stright to the point on proper technique and reps. You have to follow along with her different video's but here is a link to start one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0iO1Gcy_T4
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I hired a personal trainer when I joined my gym. He did a fitness assessment and we discussed my goals before he set up a program for me to follow. We worked together once a week and I followed the plan he mapped out for me 4 days on my own. I got much stronger, improved balance, increased my energy level. He pushed me to do so much more than I ever thought I was capable of. Working with him totally changed my life for the better.
    By the way, I was 56 and about 80 pounds overweight when I started. I am now within ten pounds of my goal weight and am enjoying new activities like kayaking and hiking. Am always looking for new ways to challenge myself.
    Good luck!
  • bbrooks123
    bbrooks123 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this information
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When I started back at the gym I got a couple of sessions with a trainer, but I don't use one full time. I figure I'll consult with him as necessary in the future.
  • kerriotto
    Options
    I work best in a "class type" situation when I have to be somewhere at a certain time so going to a trainer helps keep me accountable. It also takes the stress out of trying to figure out what I need to do. Maybe when I become fitter and know more about the different muscle groups and how to work them I will stop working with my personal trainer but so far it has worked very well for me and has been well worth the cost.
  • eandrsmom
    Options
    I have been working with a trainer for about 6 months and <3 him! I was always a gym rat pre-kids, but since then I have totally lost my mojo. He has been great at keeping me motivated and I have NEVER done the same workout twice. The variety has been fantastic. If one-on-one isn't feasible, look for a small group setting. My gym does small group training with a max of 6 per class for about a third of the cost of a private session.
  • brown41stacy
    brown41stacy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've been working with a personal trainer one time a week
    now for 8 Weeks. He's helped me change my
    Shape, attitude and strength tremendously !
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Love these responses - just started w/a trainer so no results yet, but he certainly kicks my butt - way harder than anything I'd do myself. I'm pretty sure I'm going to :heart: him.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Best thing I ever did. My first trainer really helped me get started. Without him I probably would have been completely overwhelmed and lost and probably given up. He taught me how to lift, got me running, eventually got into triathlon. Initially I saw him regularly for about six months, and then just occaisonally over the next couple of years. About a year ago, everything stalled - the running, lifting, weight loss - no progress with anything. Started seeing a trainer at my gym. He completely changed up my workout routine, added some new things, and really pushed me. Saw improvements in all areas.
    I would say if you are thinking about it, then it's probably the right decision for you. Just make sure you find the right trainer, and the right trainer for you. You want someone who is knowledgable and qualified, and has the right personality and style to get the most out of you.
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I started with my Pt about 7.5mths ago and I just :heart: him ! He has totally transformed by body shape it's been amazing and worth the investment. I am now 10 lbs to goal weight and working hard to lower BF % which now seems to now be creeping along but I have lost 12% and now I am around 31% but would like to be around 27. I highly recommend a PT as long as you find one that you click with and listens to your needs, etc..