Can you drink diet coke and still lose weight?

Options

Replies

• IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. My hubby has a regular Mountain Dew with lunch every day and has lost 55 pounds.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Of course you can.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    i would try to avoid it.... i just posed a article about sweetners: here

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/04/saccharin-aspartame-dangers.aspx
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is fine in moderation as long it doesn't give you mental pitfalls as previously mentioned. ("sugar cravings", etc)
  • rachelsiobhan04
    Options
    coca cola eats the calcium in our bones which can cause osteoporosis and other diseases, which is why it rots our teeth. I would steer clear of it and just drink water. I used to be a soda addict before I found out this! Hope this helps:)
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :wink: I have one can of Pepsi Max a day ... and in the winter none at all ...:smile:
    I don't drink alcohol ..either ....So we all have our vices .
    Occasionally have diet ginger beer :laugh: just for a change but has calories ...Beware !
  • carlom18
    carlom18 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yes as it has 0 calories. if u are in a deficit you will lose weight regardless of where you get your food from. obviously you wouldn't go and eat 2000 calories worth of chocolate, chips and burgers because that's just silly.

so as far as weight loss is concerned, yes you will still lose weight
    as far as health is concerned, limit intake
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Nope, it will kill you.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    It makes me lust for carbs for some reason, so it nets down to higher caloric intake for me when I drink it. Tea and water is good enough for me :3 And coffeeee <3

The reason is your brain is thinking it's getting sugar but it's not...in return it makes you crave sugar..your body turns carbs into sugar.
  • sharonmunday90
    sharonmunday90 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I supposed in reality you can drink or eat what you like as long as you dont go over your macros.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    coca cola eats the calcium in our bones which can cause osteoporosis and other diseases, which is why it rots our teeth. I would steer clear of it and just drink water. I used to be a soda addict before I found out this! Hope this helps:)

I'm curious if you honestly think the Coke bypasses your digestive system and goes straight to your bones and eats away at them? Or would it be more plausible that drinking soft drinks replaces drinking other beverages such as milk?
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Can you? Yes
    Is it healthy? No

But you already knew that
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Yes, No, Maybe ... Ah &$#^, I don't know about anything anymore.

I dunno, just consume less and move your legs more and take it from there? ;)
  • UncleRiotous
    Options
    It makes me lust for carbs for some reason, so it nets down to higher caloric intake for me when I drink it. Tea and water is good enough for me :3 And coffeeee <3

The reason is your brain is thinking it's getting sugar but it's not...in return it makes you crave sugar..your body turns carbs into sugar.

There has been a lot of research that shows that sugar hits your insulin production in such a way as to make you hungry/crave high calorie foods and many people think that that (particularly high fructose corn syrup) is one of the main reasons why people have been getting fatter since the 60s. There is an argument, but I've not seen any sure research, that artificial sweetners would do the same thing and my experience (and that of my friends, which is a poor scientific argument) is that I tend to feel hungrier after drinking diet drinks.

I tend to drink diet drinks at meal times as that way if they do have an effect then I'm countering that with my dinner.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight, but please dont drink it! Drink pop sweetened with stevia instead, (health good section at any grocery store)
    Google "aspartame poisoning " and start soon your research. Many people get headaches, nausea and vomiting from aspartame. The chemical structure of aspartame is so similar to fermeldahyde that it can make it you ill. People with aspartame poising are often misdiagnosed as having MS. Your drinking something is one or two molecules away from being instant death.

Look at healthier alternatives and after a while of drinking good pop the regular stuff will taste gross to you.
    This post is laughably misinformed, so much so that I can't work out if you're being serious or trolling.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you can eat what you like if you a) stay under your calories and b) feed your body properly (which means including a decent amount of healthy food before you have your treats, before anyone reads this and thinks I'm advocating the twinkie diet or something, which, incidentally will still result in losing weight, just it won't result in health)

I personally don't drink diet fizzy drinks because I'm intolerant to aspartame. Most people are not intolerant to it and don't have any problems drinking it. (and the same goes for dairy, wheat and a whole bunch of other stuff... if it makes you ill don't eat/drink it, if it doesn't make you ill, you can include it as part of a balanced diet and stick to your calorie goal and you'll still lose weight)
  • SWFLGUY
    Options
    I drink a half can of diet coke almost every day, but I neutralize it with rum and a slice of lime. ;o)
  • Maxpilot
    Maxpilot Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do the same only with Jack Daniels. :drinker:

Seriously, as long as you keep your calorie intake under control, (by using myfitnesspal of course :bigsmile: ) you will lose weight.

The acid in carbonated drinks poses a problem for the enamel in your teeth. I try to swish with water after I drink any acidic drink like soda or fruit juice or sport drink.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I have a diet coke (sometimes two) every day. It has hindered nothing.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I do the same only with Jack Daniels. :drinker:

Seriously, as long as you keep your calorie intake under control, (by using myfitnesspal of course :bigsmile: ) you will lose weight.

The acid in carbonated drinks poses a problem for the enamel in your teeth. I try to swish with water after I drink any acidic drink like soda or fruit juice or sport drink.
    A straw will solve that.