I'm having trouble losing weight!

Options
I've been trying to shed weight now for the last couple months and lately its been hard for my to shed anything. i'm about 70 pounds overweight and I eat only 1200-1400 calories a day and work out for 70+ minutes 6 days a week and usually burn around 800 to 1000 calories. HELP what am I doing wrong?

Replies

• lynnymcc
    Options
    Are you eating back any of your calories that you burn?
    Also, maybe bump up your daily cals to 1500 and just see? Maybe you are not eating enough?
    And drink TONS of water...like 2-3 litres a day
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    No one can accurately answer this question. You need to do the research, find your TDEE, BMR and TDEG and then work on getting your numbers accurate to allow you to lose the weight. Here's a link to get you started:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to shed weight now for the last couple months and lately its been hard for my to shed anything. i'm about 70 pounds overweight and I eat only 1200-1400 calories a day and work out for 70+ minutes 6 days a week and usually burn around 800 to 1000 calories. HELP what am I doing wrong?

Think of it this way perhaps....You are putting say 1300 calories into your body food wise. It likes that, it enjoys being fed. Then you go to the gym, out for run, etc, whatever it is you do for exercise...and you force your body to expend say 900 calories on doing that exercise. That leaves your body on about 400 calories to run on, thats for your brain to think, your body to move, your muscles to repair themselves. Your body is probably not very keen on this. It feels restricted and hungry (even if you don't notice the hunger) so it thinks, bugger getting rid of this extra fat I'm holding onto, I'm keeping it because I am starving!! You restrict your calories too far and your body will not be likely to shed excess fat willingly. It's like trying to run a car on petrol fumes. It might go for a while but not very happily and soon it will stop.

This is a possible explanation. I'm not saying it's true for you because I don't live with you and see what you eat and do 24/7 lol. You may not be logging correctly, you may be massively over estimating the calories you burn through exercise, you may have a health issue preventing weight loss. It's all guess work really and a process of elimination until you start dropping weight.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Think of it this way perhaps....You are putting say 1300 calories into your body food wise. It likes that, it enjoys being fed. Then you go to the gym, out for run, etc, whatever it is you do for exercise...and you force your body to expend say 900 calories on doing that exercise. That leaves your body on about 400 calories to run on, thats for your brain to think, your body to move, your muscles to repair themselves. Your body is probably not very keen on this. It feels restricted and hungry (even if you don't notice the hunger) so it thinks, bugger getting rid of this extra fat I'm holding onto, I'm keeping it because I am starving!! You restrict your calories too far and your body will not be likely to shed excess fat willingly. It's like trying to run a car on petrol fumes. It might go for a while but not very happily and soon it will stop.

This is a possible explanation. I'm not saying it's true for you because I don't live with you and see what you eat and do 24/7 lol. You may not be logging correctly, you may be massively over estimating the calories you burn through exercise, you may have a health issue preventing weight loss. It's all guess work really and a process of elimination until you start dropping weight.

Doesn't exactly work that way although the OP may need to be eating more. If you eat X amount of food your body gets first dibs on the nutrition that it needs and will burn excess fat to make up the difference. You'll also lose some muscle mass but exercise doesn't suck up the calories that you eat leaving you a deflated balloon.

The second part about not logging correctly is the more likely answer.
  • jesz124
    Options

Doesn't exactly work that way although the OP may need to be eating more. If you eat X amount of food your body gets first dibs on the nutrition that it needs and will burn excess fat to make up the difference. You'll also lose some muscle mass but exercise doesn't suck up the calories that you eat leaving you a deflated balloon.

The second part about not logging correctly is the more likely answer.

I'm not saying the exercise sucks up the calories, I think you misread what I was trying to say. In simple terms, I'm saying if she is logging correctly, she is exercising too much and eating too little. Would you not agree that restricting calories too much hinders fat loss for someone who isn't very obese and hasn't that much more fat to lose?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    are you weighing and logging everything accurately (including the workouts, if you're eating back your calories)? sorry, i don't really buy into the whole 'starvation mode' thing.
  • Agirard25
    Agirard25 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i would buy a food scale and weigh everything you eat because chances are that you are eating more than you think you are. we (at least here in america, i don't know where you're from) are used to huge portions and don't really "know" what 3 oz of chicken (for example) looks like until we start to weigh it out! stick to it, one day at a time!
  • jesz124
    Options
    are you weighing and logging everything accurately (including the workouts, if you're eating back your calories)? sorry, i don't really buy into the whole 'starvation mode' thing.

I didn't say she was in starvation mode. I couldn't hazzard a guess as I don't know her. But it stands to reason if you don't fuel your body it can't work at optimum strength IMO.
  • Zuccal
    Options
    beachlover is right. If you are trying too hard and burning up most of the calories you consume, your body thinks it is starving. In a way it is, and it will slow down your metabolism to hang on to every little bit. Sounds like you are going excessive on cardio. Maybe back off on the amount of exercise each day or try just strengthening for a couple of days. It wouldn't hurt to check with your doctor so that you aren't avoiding a health issue keeping you from losing weight. Also the content of the food you eat to get your calories per day may need to be changed some. Take it a pound at a time. It will come off if you are diligent and you will be healthier.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    First thing to look at is to make sure you're logging accurately. Do you weigh everything? A digital scale is best. Are you using a heart rate monitor to get your calorie burn? Estimates by MFP and the gym equipment are just that, estimates. For a lot of people they are way off.

Assuming you're logging correctly, you need to eat more. You have to fuel your workouts. Read this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

And also read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717565-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

I didn't say she was in starvation mode. I couldn't hazzard a guess as I don't know her. But it stands to reason if you don't fuel your body it can't work at optimum strength IMO.

sorry, i was answering the OP - not critiquing your answer. there is alot of misleading stuff on here and you can get sidetracked by it - i'd rather eat 2000 cals than 1200 but I, personally, am not going to lose weight on it. i know you didn't mention 'starvation mode' - i didn't quote you.

my biggest problems arise when i don't log stuff on here - invariably i think i have eaten less and excercised more than i have - result : no weight loss. hence the question about logging accuratety.
  • jesz124
    Options

sorry, i was answering the OP - not critiquing your answer. there is alot of misleading stuff on here and you can get sidetracked by it - i'd rather eat 2000 cals than 1200 but I, personally, am not going to lose weight on it. i know you didn't mention 'starvation mode' - i didn't quote you.

my biggest problems arise when i don't log stuff on here - invariably i think i have eaten less and excercised more than i have - result : no weight loss. hence the question about logging accuratety.

The OP didnt bring up starvation mode though? She certainly didn't ask if she was in it? She guienely seems to be looking for answers to her question. Im not suggesting her to follow anyone's advice, like I said I couldn't say what she should do as we don't know nearly enough about her personal stats. It's all just guess work really. All we can do is share our personal experience's and hope that helps her.