When is the best time of day to exercise?

Options
The past two days I've been doing my 30ds in the morning rather than evenings and it's a lot easier because I haven't eaten anything so my stomach works a lot better.
Is it best to workout this time of day? I was worried it wouldn't be as effective as im eating a days worth of food afterwards?
Thankyou x

Replies

• Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    It's best whenever YOU do it! As long as you do it is the main thing. I usually work out after lunch. That's when my day allows. In the evenings during the summer I sometimes walk. I'm not a morning person!
  • JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but I don't think it matters when you exercise. Sometimes I go to the gym before work and sometimes I go after work...depends on my schedule for the day. I'm consistently losing weight either way.
  • TNR32
    TNR32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    What ever works best for you so that you are able to keep up with it. And don't let anyone tell you that you have to work out at a time that is inconvenent for you. BTW military bootcamp workout before eating anything in the morning and I was in the best shape of my life when I graduated from bootcamp.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Upon waking, before eating.
  • juliekool2
    Options
    I read a lot of fitness magazines and articles, they all pretty much agree that it is when you can or want to. If you are a moring person, then by all means get up and get exercising. I do mine right when i walk in the door after work. My kids are 13 so can get a nsnack and wait to eat supper.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    It's best whenever YOU do it! As long as you do it is the main thing.
    This exactly!
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Whatever works best for YOU is the best time to workout. Doesn't matter whether it's morning, afternoon or evening - so long as you get up and move! Best wishes for your continued success.
  • scjl132
    scjl132 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person either but I have found that it works much better for me if I can go to the gym in the early morning, it's also less crowded. I have found that if I go later in the morning or the early afternoon I want to eat more. Whereas in the early morning I only have water in my gut and eat when I get home. That and my workout is done.
  • agulamali
    agulamali Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Time of day doesn't matter much, but in general, low-intensity cardio on an empty stomach is best for fat loss results. Usually, this happens in the morning.

For strength training, I'd recommend the time of day when your energy levels are highest. For me, this is early to mid-afternoon, but it varies from person to person. Some people are early morning people and others prefer to train at night. It's really whatever works best for you and the time of day that you're most likely to consistently stick with it.
  • RockyDon
    RockyDon Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    What's best for you
  • KayteeB07
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone :)
    As the mum of a toddler I have to squeeze in exercise whenever I can so it's great to know time of day doesnt matter x
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Whenever you can give it 100%...I can't do mornings for example, because I'm just too groggy and only put in about 80-90% of what I'm capable of...I go hardest in the early evening.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    The best time to exercise is whenever the frak you feel like it. If you can have the energy and can give it your all, go for it! Morning, mid day, evening, night, dusk, dawn, whenever.
  • trb85
    trb85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I prefer to workout around 8a-9a, but my husband is still asleep then. We live in a tiny house that squeaks & shakes when I jump around. So I've moved my indoor workout time to 4:30p after he is gone to work. When it's nice outside, I'll still go for a run around 8am, though.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,461 Member
    Options
    Whenever you can give it 100%...I can't do mornings for example, because I'm just too groggy and only put in about 80-90% of what I'm capable of...I go hardest in the early evening.

I do mine half hour after dinner. I find I feel much better and am able to go at it harder than on an empty stomach, Plus as a choir singer, I do full diaphragm singing for my entire cardio session. Helps me control my breathing during my workout and helps as far as my singing goes. Now that makes it much harder. Just my opinion. :smile: :laugh: :happy: :wink:
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Upon waking, before eating.

This.
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I would say anytime it works for you, morning, mid day, night, what ever, as long as you do it! :smile:
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Personally, I try to get main exercise in first thing so then it is over and done with. Then I do my normal 3 x 1 mile walkes during the day with the dog.

I don`t think there is a `best` time to exercise this is why gyms fitness classes are available at all times of the day and evening.

Just do what fits in with your life
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
  • cazcarr89
    cazcarr89 Posts: 34
    Options
    I would personally say in the morning is best.

Apparently you burn more throughout the day when you've done a workout in the morning. The one thing that's stuck in my mind is what my boyfriend told me; I always told him off for going to the gym on an empty stomach but he is told by his trainers that when you workout on an empty stomach you are burning existing fat and not what you've ate.

I also personally have more energy in the mornings!