Im New Here and looking for good workout advice for short pe

Options
Melroxsox
Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
I am 5 foot 4 and find it extremley hard to excersize w/ anyone else (jogging or power walking) because my stride is so much smaller.
Anyone have any tips?
thanx , MEl

Replies

• Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I am 5 foot 4 and find it extremley hard to excersize w/ anyone else (jogging or power walking) because my stride is so much smaller.
    Anyone have any tips?
    thanx , MEl
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I feel ya.. I am 5 6 and my BF is 6 2. So walking with him is like jogging..lol... just do what u can.. and if walking and talking with someone don't work.. grab an ipod or mp3 or walkman and hit the streets yourself.. i find it alot better when u can do your own pace.. GOOD LUCK and welcome :bigsmile:
  • dskyer
    dskyer Posts: 12
    Options
    I am also 5'4". I walk with my 6' tall hubby and he has a large stride. I end up walking about 3 - 3.5 miles per hour with him, which I figure is good to get the heart rate up. If you don't exercise a lot yet, you'll work your way up to a quicker stride...or ask your partner to slow down a little bit. YOU set the pace.
  • travelbug
    travelbug Posts: 153
    Options
    Welcome. You'll love it here.

If you want to continue enjoying the great outdoors with your friends maybe you could try roller blading next to their long strides. Try games/sports like, tennis, volleyball or go for a bike ride.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hey,

A treadmill is a great equalizer. You can work out with any buddy and vary your pace, incline and distance according to your own fitness level. Same thing with any of the gym machines or with any kind of cardio class.

I have a friend who loves spinning. I have to confess, I'm just not into that one. It seems brutal and my butt hurts after 10 minutes on a bike...but it does even out the height problem....(in the gym or outdoors on real bikes).

just a few ideas.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2"...I just move faster and figure I'm burning more calories trying to keep up. :laugh: I ask my husband to slow his jog down if he goes too fast, or I just REALLY slow down and he pulls ahead and looks back and gets the hint. :tongue:

Good luck!
  • Starlightdusk
    Starlightdusk Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    One thing I have learned is that is s not just a myth that Pilaties makes you taller. I don't know why but it does any where from an one inch to two inches. I got an inch taller when I did it regularly and I know that it made me feel taller and stronger.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Haha I feel you...I'm 5'0 and my bf is 5'11 and my workout partner during the school year is over 6 ft tall :laugh: I jog with my bf a lot, and find that I can generally keep up now that I've been running for a while...if my HR gets too high, I just slow down a bit, and catch up later. It's always best to move at your own pace. You will pick up a rhythm to your stride and breathing that'll make it much more comfortable. Alternately, cardio machines keep you in one place, so there's no issue with keeping up.