using heart rate to calculate calories burned

Options
Is there a way to calculate calories burned per minute? If so, how do I do this? and does your current weight matter, or is it just heart rate that matters?
Thanks!

Replies

• Breathe_Glamour
    Options
    I wanna know the answer to this, too.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor to give me my calories burned. Some days I burn more on one exercise than I did a couple days before. So using a HRM works best for me
  • Beleau
    Beleau Posts: 143
    Options
    Hi,

I can answer the latter of your question...which is yes current weight input does matter...I currently have the Polar F6...once activated it requires certain information from the individual.

B
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to calculate calories burned per minute?
    Thanks!

Easy answer is no. The amount of calories you burn is not number of calories per minute time number of minutes. It changes based on intesity and you will burn less at the beginning of your workout than at the end of the workout.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is based on age, weight, intensity of work out, etc. If I am really really moving hard at the gym I can burn almost 10 cals per minute...that is where I can't carry on a convo without some heavy breathing.
  • thendrick
    thendrick Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I just realized that my HRM was still set at my starting weight in January which is 10 lbs heavier than I am now. What can I expect now that I've lowered it?
  • marujita
    marujita Posts: 53
    Options
    oh, okay, thanks for the info. I guess what I'm asking is, how do you determine how many calories per minute you burn...is there a formula or something? (ballpark, I realize intensity and age and weight and beg vs. end of workout make a difference)

But isn't there a way to determine calories per minute burned with some sort of formula, using heart rate? (without a device or monitor or machine)
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I just realized that my HRM was still set at my starting weight in January which is 10 lbs heavier than I am now. What can I expect now that I've lowered it?

You're going to find that the number of calories it says you burned will go down somewhat.
  • thendrick
    thendrick Posts: 102 Member
    Options

You're going to find that the number of calories it says you burned will go down somewhat.
    That's what I was afraid of. :(