Gagging down my protein shake...

Options
13»

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I second the Optimum Nutrition (love the vanilla bean), though I am also liking the MaxMuscle brand's banana flavored protein powder.
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Why you take it? Protein shakes are not a necessity.

If you ABSOLUTELY want a protein shake for some reason, search for shake recipes with normal, natural ingredients...

Oh wait.. let me help::: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Homemade-Protein-Shake-Without-Protein-Powder

:tongue:

You welcome :bigsmile: :glasses:

That does not sound tasty.

Also:

"7Drink the shake immediately. The nutrient content is higher when the ingredients are fresh. Your shake should contain between 30 and 50 g of protein."

I'm not going to say this isn't correct because I've never researched it, but, what? Parts of the shake don't just up and walk away so how is the nutrient content going to lower if you don't drink it immediately.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

For me, ICE is the key...and mixing it up in a blender or a magic bullet, etc. It ends up being a nice frothy milk shake. I usually make it with water, but I found if I used soy or almond milk it would also make it a lot creamier...so I would use that when I had some extra carbs to use.

Ice or water in a shake grosses me out, but I do understand the need to get that shake cold!!! It makes it so much easier to drink. I can't have casein (milk protein) so I use an unsweetened, unflavored vegetable protein blend (pea, hemp, and cranberry proteins) that contains all the essential amino acids and I blend it with unsweetened almond milk and frozen fruit. Pineapple or banana really sweeten it up, but you can also add a little stevia. The almond milk adds calcium and creaminess, and if it's unsweetened, the milk only adds 1g carbs (and 30 calories) per serving. My shakes are very yummy, like a little dessert for me. I think a lot of those protein powders have a crap ton of wierd ingredients in them and they taste chalky and nasty to me. I like the ingredients to be as simple as possible...:drinker:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Why you take it? Protein shakes are not a necessity.

If you ABSOLUTELY want a protein shake for some reason, search for shake recipes with normal, natural ingredients...

Oh wait.. let me help::: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Homemade-Protein-Shake-Without-Protein-Powder

:tongue:

You welcome :bigsmile: :glasses:

:sick:
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I mix my vanilla protein powder (whey isolate) with a couple tablespoons of lite cool whip, some water, and almond milk... I shake it up and let it sit in the fridge overnight, then shake it in the morning once again and drink it... it goes down VERY smoothly and it tastes better chilled than room-temperature for sure.

I've also added vanilla for extra flavor boost, but it really doesn't need it. Tonight I added banana extract for tomorrow's shake.
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Some are really bad, others are better. I have one I don't like much that is a large tub in my cabinet. The GNC AMP Chocolate (86% of the Cal come from Protein) was among the worst I ever tried. Really did almost puke on that one. Was I ever glad to see the bottom of that bag. (And happy I didn't buy a jug)

Kroger has a Chocolate soy one that is not too expensive (83%) , and I actually would mix that one with a York Peppermint Patty sometimes. (not everyone trust Soy protein, especially for men)

Body Fortress Choc. Peanut butter is the one taking up space in my cabinet right now (along with BF's Creatine that I stopped taking) and I don't want to say the flavor is bad, but it doesn't mix well, and really seems to need the blender. I don't like it all that much, but to me it taste like the 'off brand' kit kat things, the peanut butter wafers, not sure what to really describe them as. (74% protein)

6 star triple whey chocolate was also not one I liked, (71%) but hey...

The one I am drinking the most of right now is the Muscle Milk German choc cake. Other than the taste of Coconut, I enjoy it, but it only gets 43% of the Calories from Protein. But it does mix extremely well, a single scoop only uses 6 oz of water.

I do want to try some of the Ultimate flurry powders, the RTD from the vending machine at the gym are good, and i went through 3 cases of the bars so far...
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    As someone had suggested, I tried mixing my vanilla shake mix with my coffee this morning, instead of using Spleda. It was still a bit too sweet for my taste, but it was much better than just mixing it with milk. The coffee cut through a lot of the sweetness, balanced it out better. But it still just tasted like melted ice cream. Gross.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Try cooking with it? I love mug cakes made with protein powder.
  • Maximumresults
    Options
    you don't have drink protein shakes....eat something instead....
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I really love the taste of Designer Whey protein. And it's even better made into a smoothie. Today I had 1/2 scoop chocolate whey blended with 1/2 frozen banana, 1 tsp pb, almond milk, coffee and ice. SO good!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Never heard of the brand. Try Myofusion, Optimum Nutrition, Syntha-6, etc.. all the ones people have heard of =P
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I use Bluebonnet Chocolate whey isolate, and I enjoy the flavor fairly well, esp when blended with milk, fruit, p butter, etc. I do a lot of chocolate/banana/raspberry shakes.

But I've noticed other people suggesting mixing the protein powder with cottage cheese or yogurt. I've tried this, and my powder never blends well unless I actually put it in the blender. If I try mixing it into something like yogurt using just a spoon, it tends to stay clumpy/gritty. Does this happen to other people, or is it due to the type/brand of protein powder I've been using?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    2 scoops of chocolate protein powder, 8 ounces unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1/3 cup uncooked oats, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, and a banana.

blend it all. you don't even taste the oats (in case you were worried about any lumpiness).
  • jennyjee18
    Options
    I usually just have mine mixed with water and downed really fast (I think of it more as a fuel than a food) but once in a while when I'm in the mood for using it as a food, I will blend it with banana and peanut butter (only natural pb of course). It's delicious. Peanut butter has such a strong taste you can't taste that "protein shake" taste that is probably what's turning you off so much. Try it! :smile:

btw: thanks to those couple of people that recommended it mixed with coffee. omg yummy alternative to a starbucks frap! Might have to try that!
  • FitnessWithaTwist
    Options
    if you like the flavor of cinnabon..get trutein from bestpricenutrition..you'll never look back...full flavor, thick, literally taste like a melted cinnabon..barely any fat,low carb....perfect drank.
  • MrsC160
    MrsC160 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I put it in my greek yogurt instead of some other junk that just adds sweet and no extra nutrition. Then I eat it like a big bowl of cake frosting without the cake, because that's what it tastes like.

Yep, I do 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt, 1/2 scoop vanilla protien powder, topped with the 1/4 cup chopped strawberries (i have been using thawed frozen berries) n a little granola. Heaven in a bowl.
  • FitnessWithaTwist
    Options
    its not trial and error..the end all is trutein..look it up on youtube. ahaha u gotta huge tub i bet.
  • MrsC160
    MrsC160 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use Bluebonnet Chocolate whey isolate, and I enjoy the flavor fairly well, esp when blended with milk, fruit, p butter, etc. I do a lot of chocolate/banana/raspberry shakes.

But I've noticed other people suggesting mixing the protein powder with cottage cheese or yogurt. I've tried this, and my powder never blends well unless I actually put it in the blender. If I try mixing it into something like yogurt using just a spoon, it tends to stay clumpy/gritty. Does this happen to other people, or is it due to the type/brand of protein powder I've been using?

Stir like crazy.

Plus, I like to let mine sit in the fridge for a couple hours (or longer) I find it that solves any strange lumpiness.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Plus, I like to let mine sit in the fridge for a couple hours (or longer) I find it that solves any strange lumpiness.

I'll give that a try, thanks!