Being too unfit to do any form of excercise ?

Options

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Just to add to what everyone else has said - yes exercise should always be a challenge to some degree if it is going to have an effect BUT it definitely gets easier. When I go running, I aim to get my heart rate up and to be out of breath, but being out of breath now is nowhere near as painful and uncomfortable as it was when I was unfit. It is a bit uncomfortable, but it's completely tolerable. I think it's easy sometimes for fitter people to forget what it feels like to exercise when you're really unfit. It's horrible, and it's no wonder a lot of people give up. It gets better though, I promise!

You're doing well though. I walked a lot to improve my fitness before I went anywhere near C25k, and even then, I still struggled at first, so you're doing great! Just keep that enthusiasm, but don't worry if you need to slow things down a little and build things up gradually. The main thing is getting active, and progress from there.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    If you want it bad enough then you will make it happen even if it hurts, there is a saying 'no pain no gain' and that is so true. If all you can do is 10 or 20 min to start then start there, you may want to look into getting a trainer or a training partner who can push you.
    For me for isntance I know i am going to hurt like hell tomorow for doing this but today I am going shovel about 3 ft of snow out of my drive, walk way and deck then I am going to take my dogs and a nieghbores dog out in the field for about 30 min or so of walking then I will come in and do my usual workout simply because I have goals to reach and these things just need to be done.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    If you want it bad enough then you will make it happen even if it hurts, there is a saying 'no pain no gain' and that is so true.
    ...until you get injured. :flowerforyou:
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Start slowly and concentrate on controlling your calorie/fat intake. You CAN lose weight without exercise IF your diet is on track. After a few weeks of losing you will have more energy to begin an exercise program. Do something you love---dancing maybe?,I swim-waterjog 4 days a week for 90 minutes I started out slowly just trying to concentrate on moving my body for increased time increments until I could maintain my 90 minute burn sessions. Good luck--you CAN do it but you have to start and keep going!! :smile:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    When I started on this journey last June I could only walk down the stairs one foot to join the other, holding tight to the rail. Since then I have been exercising and doing yoga at a class once a week. I do about an hour of medium capacity workout every day, low impact. I can't run because I used to have such dodgy knees and hips. It was even hard to tie my shoelaces or put trousers on without sitting down. Now I skip down the stairs, and have lost 35 lbs!
    I would say, every little bit you can do is a great help. As you go along it will get easier and your motivation will increase. You can even exercise to increase your strength sitting down. I do foot and ankle exercises while watching TV and have been able to stop wearing orthotics and my ankles are much less swollen. Walk around in bare feet- it will feel tiring to start with, but will get better. Stretch out your arms while watching TV, do a couple of mini sit ups in bed. Don't just sit there, move something, anything. Stand on one leg while doing the washing up. I would not have believed how far all this has taken me, my life is transformed. You don't have to make like an athlete to change your life. By the way, I am 63 and am now feeling like a young woman instead of the 80 I felt before.
  • meaningful99
    Options
    Ride a bike! It's easier for heavy folks than some weight-bearing exercises, but you can still get your heart rate up. Plus, it's fun!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    You can't fail at exercise, unless you quit doing it.
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If walking works for you, then walk. You don't need to be doing an intense spinning class, 30 Day Shred or training for a marathon for it to be "real" exercise.

When I first started running, it was 15 minutes on the treadmill at 5mph. I was fine during the warm up of my first step class, but when the instructor yelled out "hamstring curl round the world!" I had the same face as that Mother of God meme. I still look like I'm melting in every Spin class. You get over it- and the small improvements- maybe running your first mile or not getting totally lost during an aerobics class make you feel great!
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    No one is asking you to run a marathon. However, I met a lady on here who could barely walk because of weight, and her exercise was just to walk a little quicker or a little farther each day. With a cane. If she can do that, I figure you and I can push a little and feel a good burn.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Watch this video. I think you'll feel much better about the kind of progress that can be made through exercise.

http://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    a lot of people have those same results.

first off, if you go to a class or are doing a dvd, and you get winded and need to stop... then just stop!! take a break and catch your breath. pause the dvd or move to the back of the class. restart after a few minutes.

i hated running. still kinda do. but i wanted to do cardio. i found that cycling i could go further and longer then i ever could running. and i live in an area with a lot of great scenery, so i was able to enjoy it! and after a bike ride i didn't have that beat up feeling that running gave me. also, no jiggling.
  • Mandino788
    Mandino788 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I heard the story of this guy who was like.....600+ pounds, he could barely do any exercise...but he didn't give up. He started out just working on his arms, then started walking across the room, then walking to the front door, then out to the mailbox, etc. He gradually built up until he could do more. IIRC he lost a ton of weight by pushing himself a little bit further each time.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way about my "unfitness" & exercise. When I started on MFP last July I was only walking 20 minutes with my dog 3 times a day. I still do that but now our walks cover more ground in the 20 minutes which means we have speeded up. You could start walking at a slow pace for 3 days a week & then walk 5 days next week. Once you are comfortable with that you could try to walk everyday. Then speed up a little the next week. I'm always looking for the easier, softer way. And walking for me is the easiest exercise.

Set small goals for yourself. We didn't get like this all at once so we can't expect to get fit all at once. Last week I added an On Demand Cable TV walking program. It's only 10 minutes & I did it 3 times. Now I'm aiming for 4 times this week. Like what was suggested here, you could also find something on youtube to follow.

Don't give up. Be proud of yourself for having the courage to ask for help.
  • stacey2022
    stacey2022 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Get your mind and attitude right and the rest will fall into place!! Stay with it! We believe in you!!
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I started out at 110kgs just under 9 months ago and now weight 73kgs. My goal was 65kgs, but that doesn't seem to be attainable (I'm not losing weight over all, but I am losing a ton of body fat). And I'm ok with this.

There is hope!

Walking is a great form of exercise to start getting you in shape (muscles, heart, lungs) until you can start doing more vigourous exercise (if that's what you want). Start small and build up- keep your expectations realistic and for the love of Pete, don't let the scale own you!

Good luck!

ETA: Three months ago, despite all my walking, I couldn't run the distance between 3 lamp posts. Last night I ran 7.2 miles in 74 minutes; I'm running a 10k race in April and a half marathon on July. If I can do it ANYONE can do it!
  • BeautifulBrownButterfly
    Options
    I will tell anyone that is just starting out walking is the best I use walk away the pounds and their is so many to choose from i can get through a 5 mile walk and on top of that on some days i walk to work or i'll walk home!! I can tell a difference in how my clothes are fitting and it works. You can looks on youtube Leslie Sansone "walk away the pounds" i love her dvd's a 1 mile walk is 15 mins I also add walking weights with my walk too. Walking works!!
  • hCGWoman
    Options
    Siince you love to dance,. I suggest you get Richard Simmons Dancing to the Oldies. It has been around forever, works and is fun. Has some great old songs and makes you wanna dance. I am gonna do the exact same thing. I am a senior citizen and have a pinched nerve in my neck so I cannot do the gym for upper body. Well I can dance. My local community center has line dancing once a week it costs $3.00 check where you live and if they don't have one ask them to consider starting a line dance. It is not a class and you don't have to have a partner to dance with. Lots of fun and great exercise.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    So....you quit because you are tired or its hard? Thats the point. You are not going to run through everything beast style the first time you do them. Its SUPPOSED to be hard, you are SUPPOSED to get winded. Push through and keep at it, and you will see results. Almost everyone on this site has experienced this, and we fight through it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Before I started C25k, I made a point to walk the dog at least one mile a day. He's a Pekingese with three inch legs, and that little fluffball was dragging me. Within a month of starting C25K, I was able to run one mile straight. In two months, I could run 3 miles. In three months, I kept up with my brother who's been running for 30 years in a 4.5 mile race. That was about 2 years ago, and now I regularly run anywhere between 3 and 8 miles, three times a week.

When I first started any kind of strength training, I did EA Sports Active 2 on the Playstation with two pound dumbbells. At the end of the first 20 minute workout, I just laid on the floor, panting in a puddle of sweat. The first few weeks, everything hurt. Just squatting down to sit on the toilet made me wince. Now, I do Stronglifts 5x5 and can overhead press more than 50% of my body weight, bench 75% of my body weight and deadlift and squat 120% of my body weight.

It gets better. Maybe not easier, because you'll always want to challenge yourself more and push harder, but better.
  • miamiink89
    miamiink89 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you and weighed a bit more than you do when I started. I'm 23 and honestly could not tell you the last I did proper exercise (before MFP of course) then I found swimming! I started doing 20 lengths and slowly built my way up. My record is 90 lengths in 90 minutes : D I've since not been swimming as often due to moving and not being as close to a pool, however it kick started my exercise bug and I now used workout DVDs and fitnessblender. I'm by no means mega fit but I have noticed a huge change in stamina and I'm still improving. Start slowly and go at your own pace :)