do i have to run?

Options
hey everyone, so i wondering if it's okay that i don't do any running or go to a gym. i'm not really a good runner and i can't afford to go to the gym, but i am fine with just walking everywhere, i'll probably go for atleat 2 hour walks a day or would it just be better to get off my *kitten* and run?:laugh: i also do alot of situps, and i'm mainly just trying to get rid of stomach fat i can't seem to get a flat stomach.

thankyou for any help :flowerforyou:

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You don't have to run. Just find a workout that you like to do. There are also walking workouts that get your heartrate up. Look up "leslie sansone walk away the pounds" on youtube.
  • Buckeye_Fittie
    Options
    Youtube search "8-Minute Abs" and a workout video from the 1990's will pop up. It's a killer ab workout, believe me.
    But you won't get a flat stomach if you don't make diet changes too. Minimize sodium, drink plenty of water and green tea, and try adding greek yoghurt into your diet.
    Abs are made 10% in the gym and 90% in the kitchen.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with a good brisk walk. Some of us (me included) can't run or aren't supposed to. I have RA, so I have very weak ankles and bad knees and running is just a no no for me. I'm still losing weight, and I've lost 2 inches around my waist so far.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Running is ABSOLUTELY necessary...if you are being chased by zombies. But for fitness, do what you enjoy! :flowerforyou:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Running is ABSOLUTELY necessary...if you are being chased by zombies. But for fitness, do what you enjoy! :flowerforyou:

I'd be well fit if I had the zombie apocalypse to run from...
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    No you do not have to run. However do note, you can't spot reduce. You can do 1000 sit-ups a day if you want but how you lose fat and where is based on your genetics and your diet.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

I'd be well fit if I had the zombie apocalypse to run from...

Don't wait. Start preparing now. You just never know...:wink:
  • MrDonivan
    MrDonivan Posts: 19 Member
    Options

cough cough
    you mean to say "Dire Alien Vampire Robot Zombies" I believe. in which case - yes, you absolutely RUN FOREST RUN!
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Only if you want to have a stronger heart, more efficient lungs, nicer skin complexion and faster weight loss results. :)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose body fat then the only thing you need to do is to consistently eat less calories than your body needs to maintain itself (a calorie deficit.)

You can do that by a) diet alone b) diet and exercise or c) exercise alone. How you choose to do it depends on your preferences but most people choose b.

Exercise of any kind is not absolutely necessary although I think it is a good idea to incorporate some exercise which you like doing into your routine. If you are also looking to preserve your fat free mass (looking like a fitness model say) it is also good to incorporate some resistance / weight training.

Finally, you can't spot reduce fat loss. In other words you can't really target where you want to lose fat from with specific exercises. You generally lose fat in a pre determined order from your body governed by your genetics. Therefore doing lots of crunches won't help get you that flat stomach you want to a large degree. You are better off making sure your diet is good and your exercise routine is well balanced to include all large muscle groups and a little core work.
  • MrDonivan
    MrDonivan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Running = Cardio

Use the Stationary Bike instead, its easier on the knees! Especially for us old folks wh oran way too many miles on Fort Bragg and jumped from waaaaay too many airplanes i nthe middle of the night.
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I was using walking, yoga (at home), and weight lifting as my main forms of exercise and lost 100lbs doing it. However, I recently started running and circuits, and though I've only lost 2lbs in the past 2 months, I've lost 14lbs of body fat, so it looks like I've lost a lot of weight. If you can't afford the gym, look for Jillian Michaels 30 day shred or ripped in 30 on youtube. Great calorie burn and you'll see results quickly (if you don't have weights, you can used canned goods!)

(PS- the fat is flying off with the running- I can see changes daily in my body).

Good luck!

One more thing- I said I would never run, unless something big and scary was chasing me. 3 months ago I couldn't run the distance between 3 lamp posts. Last night I ran (non-stop) 7.2miles in 74 minutes. RAWR
  • daenerysv
    Options
    awwh, thankyou for the help and advice everyone :happy:
  • K398
    K398 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You must be fit to run...you do not have to run to be fit. Get after it with what works for you and what you enjoy. Just move, you'll start to feel better and want to do more, and then you'll do research for different things to do and it will all waterfall. You've just made your first step in thinking and asking...good for you.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Hi,the only way to get abs is to lose your body fat (you need about 10/15% range)and then they will show! abit like losing your fat and then your ribs show! in basic!
    hope this helps
  • Lakerlady5747
    Lakerlady5747 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You don't need to run, but you should do some form of cardio exercise. I know you said you plan to take walks, which is an awesome start. Remember, though, that you should make sure your walks are at a brisk pace, which means you shouldn't be able to carry on a long conversation with someone easily while walking.

For good cardio exercise, you need to find a way to get your heart rate up. You can do this through a variety of exercises: biking, swimming, dancing, running, etc. If you have a Wii, try getting Zumba for the Wii and doing that. There are also many exercise DVD's you can buy or look for workout videos on YouTube. There are many, many cardio exercise possibilities!

Also, you should find a way to add in some sort of strength training to your routine.
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Only if you want to have a stronger heart, more efficient lungs, nicer skin complexion and faster weight loss results. :)

You can get that from dance or other forms of aerobic exercise, too. When I was in hospital getting my appendix out, the doctors and nurses kept asking me if I was a runner because of my great cardiovascular numbers. I set them straight. I'm a DANCER, not a runner!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    The answer is no. Only do exercise that you enjoy and that you will stick to. Try some dvds at home. Brisk walking can be just as good as running.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

This. You can even run a little then go back to walking if you get bored and feel like changing it up. There is not only no rule that you must run, there is no rule that if you run you must run for a set distance or amount of time.

I started with walking, got bored, started adding in some running even though I guarantee I was way more out of shape than you. I didn't do it because I thought 'now I have to run' I just felt like picking up the pace. But it's perfectly fine if you are happy just walking.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options

LMAO ^^^This^^^