how to lose fat and build muscle????

Options
I have been reading and reading and there is so much information and it goes back and forth one saying its better this way , one saying no this is better. sooooo. here is what my goals are. i am trying to find a way to gain muscle and drop the fat through strength training and Cardio sessions any pointers? i do not want to lose any muscle but maybe gain and burn the fat storage i have going on :) any past experiences would be helpful

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Great post and link by wellbert. They are essentially 2 different processes. One is catabolic and one is anabolic. With the exceptions shown in the link, they can't be done simultaneously. You can however develop and strengthen the muscle tissue you have while being in a calorie deficit to lose fat. The key is adequate protein and strength training to preserve lean muscle mass and maximize fat loss. You can't prevent losing some lean muscle mass but you can minimize it.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Much of the confusion stems from the simple law of physics dictating that you cannot lose AND gain weight at the same time - and that the body builders who write the stuff have such low body fat that they have to cycle between bulking up and alimming down. Most of us don't have that problem.

Eating fewer calories that you use will get your body to use fat stores. Working with weights will increase your muscle mass, even if your body is burning fat.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Much of the confusion stems from the simple law of physics dictating that you cannot lose AND gain weight at the same time - and that the body builders who write the stuff have such low body fat that they have to cycle between bulking up and alimming down. Most of us don't have that problem.

Eating fewer calories that you use will get your body to use fat stores. Working with weights will increase your muscle mass, even if your body is burning fat.

Acutally the differences between anabolic and catabolic processes are physiology not physics. Other than slight newbie gains if one is new to strength training or obese, the process you described of increasing muscle mass will not happen. It is an anabolic process and, if in a calorie deficit, you are in a catabolic state. I would strongly suggest you read the link posted above.
  • missingmercury
    Options
    Great link. Thank you. I am an 'overfat beginner'. Just started weight training a couple weeks ago. Two reasons; one to strengthen my bones to prevent osteoporosis and second to take my exercise up a notch from just walking on a treadmill a few days a week.

I do a 10min warmup and then about 15-20 mins of weight training, i.e. squats/deadlifts/presses... I have found that doing something new and planning out what do do on my lifting days has really put new energy into my training.