Rest day turns into cheat day turns into horrible weekends..

Options
I have a huge problem with falling off the bandwagon...I don't just fall and get up. I fall and I stay there for awhile. I have been losing weight steadily. But on the weekends I like to give myself an exercise break - because I'm tired from the week and because I don't have daycare for my toddler and can't readily go work out with him. So then I end up taking a "weekend break" but then I start eating horribly. It's like I lose my self control and I feel so guilty about stopping my progress.

How do you guys cope with the weekends? I feel like I can't just stop at one cheat...It starts with one soda...then the next thing I know I go to a fast food joint and scarf down a day's worth of cals.

To make matters worse it's that TOM and I'm craaaaavvvving french fries. Ugh. I wish I had it in me to cook every meal, everyday, without fail. And for all the mom's out there - what are some meals that are my toddler will actually eat and that are healthy?

Replies

• MyKidzMom
    MyKidzMom Posts: 97
    Options
    I can feel your pain.....I slip up sometimes.....more than less. I have found that logging on at home helps though....especially if you just go ahead and plan your meals for the day ahead of time. I have 3 kids who are very picky eaters (14,9,4) and they have learned that they have to eat what is cooked or they don't get anything for a snack afterwards. There is absolutely no point in making 3 or 4 different meals. I learned this after joining MFP and asked the same question.
    If you teach them to eat it now, they will learn to love it later.
    Good luck!
  • radtech
    radtech Posts: 20
    Options
    I dont know that this will really help or not but just a suggestion. I made MFP my homepage for my computer, that way everytime i log on to check my mail I have to come to this page first. I have found that it really makes me want to stay on track and it's a constant reminder of how many calories I have left for the day. Sometimes I will close it early just so I can see the "if you keep eating like this you will be .... in 5 weeks." It makes me a little more hopeful that I can achieve my goal.
  • jienelle
    jienelle Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I usually do just cook one meal. But my son is at the age where he knows what he wants but doesn't understand things well enough for me to tell him I'm not making him anything else. He seriously won't eat all night if I don't give him things he can pick up in his hands (chicken nuggets, etc.). I guess time will (hopefully) make it easier. I'm going to reset my homepage to see if that helps.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    My son just turned 2 (you didn't say exactly how old your son is, but maybe mine is close in age). He likes the finger food too, so he will very readily eat green beans, and other fruits, veggies, meat, etc. that's cut in bite-size pieces. If you're going to do chicken nuggets, be sure to bake instead of fry, and even better if you can do unbreaded/grilled chicken cut into pieces. If he's a grazer/snacker and eats on the go, make sure he gets healthier options there too. I like dried fruit/raisins instead of candy (watch labels for added sugar), pretzels instead of chips, 100% fruit juice (or V-8 Splash, so he gets veggies too) instead of any kind of artificial juice drink.

My little guy has always been pretty good about eating good food, but if yours isn't, you will have to give it time. You can't expect to give him green beans instead of french fries one day and have him take to it right away. Also, don't give into him. If he whines about the veggie, don't turn around and make him what he wants. Even if he does't completely understand why he can't have anything else, he'll eventually understand the consequence and eat what he's given.

Hope this helps! :flowerforyou: