rice and pasta

Options
monkeysmum
monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
sorry if this has been asked before but i was wondering
i love pasta and rice dishes but the amount of calories is alot for a portion size id usually eat not huge huge but enough so im wondering the calories does it mean for 100g before cooked or after?
i measure after and its about the size portion i give to my younger kids am i measuring wrong or just going to have to have tiny portions of my favourite foods

Replies

• Hazeyblue
    Hazeyblue Posts: 22
    Options
    If you check on the packet, it should give you calories and identify if it is 'as sold' which is the dry weight, or when cooked. Its usually as sold mostly.......I think, lol

But yes, the 'portion size' as described on the packet is usually quite small, it was something which took me a while to get my head around, not to mention my stomach :grumble:
  • AlexandraNK
    AlexandraNK Posts: 54
    Options
    My Pastas are all pre-cooking amounts. I find that it's enough food if put with lots of vegies. Good luck.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    I go with dry. Like a 1/4c of dry rice is a usual serving, which when cooked and fluffed up is close to a cup, and about 200-230 calories.
  • TheMotherAwesome
    TheMotherAwesome Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I go with dry. Like a 1/4c of dry rice is a usual serving, which when cooked and fluffed up is close to a cup, and about 200-230 calories.

REALLY?!?

Man, have I been doing that wrong then...

I live in a Filipino household, so there is always rice made in a gigantic rice maker. I've been portioning out 1/2 cup of cooked rice rather than cooking 1/2 cup of dry rice, which would yield more cooked.

Oh, portion size, you confuse me.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    It's usually pre-cooked calories. Like my spaghetti is for two ounces, 210 calories. That seems ridiculous cuz that's only 1/4 of a cup.... pre-cooked. When you cook it its about 1 cup. So that saved me from a huge panic attack, lol.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    Like others have said, rice and pasta should be measured dry to get the correct portion size. It still isn't a ton, but pair it with some protein and a serving a veggies (which is pretty large, usually) and you've got a pretty good sized dinner.
  • TheMotherAwesome
    Options
    I'm going to do a tiny bit of threadjacking, but I want to make sure I've got this straight.

The current brand of rice that is being used in my home is listed in MFP as

Shirakiku - Cooked Rice, 4 oz

So is that for 4 oz. of cooked rice, which is how I took it, or is it 4 oz. of dry rice, which has been cooked?

This is my confusion.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    that's for cooked, cos it says, cooked. 4oz of uncooked rice is a lot, way more calories than that!

try comparing it to this listing Premium Shirakiku Brown Rice - U.S. #1 Extra Fancy Brown Rice which gives you both measures 1/4 c uncooked = 3/4c cooked

look at the nutritional info table on the packet, it should say cooked or uncooked, and you can cross reference with that on here.
  • TheMotherAwesome
    Options
    that's for cooked, cos it says, cooked. 4oz of uncooked rice is a lot, way more calories than that!

try comparing it to this listing Premium Shirakiku Brown Rice - U.S. #1 Extra Fancy Brown Rice which gives you both measures 1/4 c uncooked = 3/4c cooked

look at the nutritional info table on the packet, it should say cooked or uncooked, and you can cross reference with that on here.

Thank you. I was afraid I had been royally screwing up my food log!
  • monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    now i see where i went wrong i have been measuring the 100g after its cooked which would be alot less than if id measured it before cooking thanks for the help