Free/Cheat Days

Options
Do you have them? If so how often or as a reward?

Replies

• Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    That depends on your personal goals. How fast do you want to reach your goal. Every cheat means longer until you get to where you want to be.
  • barebon
    barebon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. Once I go down that path it is too hard! If you are craving pizza go out and have a slice at a place that serves it by the slice. Or finding healthy alternatives to still fulfill that desire. As long as you do things in moderation you can still have what you want. I have lately been looking at it as a life style change an not to just lose weight. And remember you never want to reward yourself with food. Choose something else like going to the movies, a new DVD, etc. I also feel that as I am still trying to adjust to the new lifestyle I have got to stay consistent to get it engrained in my mind. On my rest days of working out I still go to the gym and walk or do some kind of easy cardio to get me in the routine. Good luck!
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have no 'cheat days.' I eat whatever I want. I just try to eat well more often than eating junk. And, most importantly, I track everything. As long as I have the calories available, I can eat them in whatever form I wish at that moment. So, no 'cheat days,' no cheats exist, no guilt. :tongue:
  • Brenda4105
    Brenda4105 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have no 'cheat days.' I eat whatever I want. I just try to eat well more often than eating junk. And, most importantly, I track everything. As long as I have the calories available, I can eat them in whatever form I wish at that moment. So, no 'cheat days,' no cheats exist, no guilt. :tongue:

I agree with this. I count every thing that I eat but I eat what I want. It gets so you think twice about junk food when you see how many calories it takes. If you see that you can have one small candy vs 2 apples, you'll take the apples. I consider myself to have no will power and have lost 19lbs, just by tracking everything. When I am out of calories, it must be time for bed!
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Do you have them? If so how often or as a reward?

Doing Alternate Day Fasting for the last month so on Tuesday, Thursdays, Saturdays & Sundays I eat whatever I please.

On Mon, Weds and Friday it is 500-700 cals of protein and vegetables.
    I will be changing this to Mondays and Wednesdays when I have reached the goal weight and want to maintain.

I am really enjoying it!
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I used to allow every Sunday to be a cheat day in the past, but I found it made it harder for me (and increased bad cravings) during the week. I haven't had one in 3 weeks now and I really haven't been tempted to thus far. I do plan on having one for my birthday though, I am not going without cake lol
  • kelbax22
    kelbax22 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat meals. I have a specific goal in mind and it's more important than any food. I still eat foods that I like, but I have altered my thinking about them.

Instead of going out and spurging on an ice cream sundae (estimated 600 cals), I have found low cal/low fat ice cream and I only eat one serving (120 cals). I eat dark chocolate covered almonds instead of a snickers bar. I make "pizza" on tortilla shells.

I have been doing this for over 5 weeks and have not altered from it. I feel so good about myself! I am sure if I went out and splurged on junk, I would feel sick afterwards!
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days, because I end up making myself sick and/or knocking myself off course.
    I do, however, let myself eat that little bit of junk food on any day, as long as it fits into my calories. :)
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I have a free day every Friday. I don't log what I eat on that day at all. I occasionally go nuts and consume 6,000 calories, but I've always lost or maintained my weight. Never gained from a binge.

I lift weights four days a week for 30-40 minutes, and I eat TDEE -20% every day except my free day.
  • starrisonmclennon
    starrisonmclennon Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i try not to have any, but i usually have 1-2 a week
  • Bunnehface
    Bunnehface Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I originally only had certain things (especially desserts) as a reward for hitting a goal. But it made me crave them more, and obsess over the scale too much. Now if occasionally I want something that's heavier in calories than I'd like, I either cut my calories during the day so I don't go over, or (in the case of takeout pizza) if it's really high, I'll eat as near to perfectly as I can for the few days after to balance it out. I've found that in general a little of what I fancy is ok as long as I don't make a habit of doing it regularly. It certainly seems to keep my cravings under control and I'm 58 lb down and counting now. :smile:
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat/treat days as I have anything I want, I eat chocolate daily (in small amounts) that way I never crave anything
  • skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    only have them on special occasions, birthdays or anything like that :) remember you cant get fat in one day
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days but I do let myself have something indulgent every once in awhile like I was at a woman's event at church with cheesecake so I had half a slice or I went out to eat for a date with my bf and I ordered my favorite meal but only ate half. I think its silly to deprive myself of things I want, I just have to be smart about the choices! Half a piece of cheesecake won't make me fat just like one salad won't make me skinny.
  • PosterGuy1
    PosterGuy1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I began this journey on 1/1, and I don't plan to until I've lost 100 pounds.