The loose skin issue?

Options
As I am starting to lose some weight, the one thing I wonder the most about is how to deal with the loose, hanging skin? I admit, I am nearly 60, but I really want to become'fit' - do the things I need to do to tighten my body and look good to myself if no one else and the 'loose skin' part bothers me.

I know there are some surgeries out there, but I really don't have that kind of money and wonder about alternatives.

Any thoughts, experiences ... ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    IF the lose skin is not paper thin then it still has fat on it. So keep at the weight loss and eventually your body will go for it. Try to get some muscle building in should help as well.

http://lewrockwell.com/sisson/sisson136.html
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'll be 60 in a few months and have been maintaining a 58 pound loss for nearly a year and a half. I never had any hanging flaps, just an all over sag when I first reached goal. It was like the skin on my torso was a size or two larger than it should have been. It has since snapped back except for a small area on my upper abdomen that is slightly wrinkled and still lax enough to distort the shape of my navel. I'm paying a price for the weight gain but a much smaller one than I'd feared.

Actually my primary concern at the beginning was with the impact of the diet on my muscles, not my skin. But looking back on it I think the choices I made to save my muscles were probably good for my skin too, not to mention my hair and nails. I ate a well balanced diet with adequate protein and healthy fat. I maintained a moderate calorie deficit and didn't jack it up with a lot of uncompensated cardio. I strength trained. The one thing I did just for my skin was the head to toe application of coconut oil after every shower, which has definitely been worth doing. Whether or not it helped to tighten my skin, coconut oil has to be about the best moisturizer I've ever used.
  • WFBspantran
    WFBspantran Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I agree with wnbrice but also be realistic. When anyone loses a large amount of weight, sometimes there is only so much your body can do. At some point it may come down to surgery to truely get rid of all of the excess skin. This is a topic of weight loss that many people don't talk about and many shows like The Biggest loser don't show either. Best of luck and keep at it!
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    As I am starting to lose some weight, the one thing I wonder the most about is how to deal with the loose, hanging skin? I admit, I am nearly 60, but I really want to become'fit' - do the things I need to do to tighten my body and look good to myself if no one else and the 'loose skin' part bothers me.

I know there are some surgeries out there, but I really don't have that kind of money and wonder about alternatives.

Any thoughts, experiences ... ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Surgery or like me, tons of workouts. I have lost almost 200 pounds as you can you by my profile picture. It is possible but takes time and effort!! I still have a lot of skin too. :(
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Your skin takes time to bounce back just like it takes time to lose the weight to have that loose skin :) Patience and the idea that not all the loose skin will dissapear will be a good way to go.

I am a young girl but my 'pouch' from being pregnant will probably stick with me for the rest of my life unless I get surgery and make my tummy into a happy face (tummy tuck scar). But I am firm on the idea that it can still look good even though :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If you don't lose it too fast your skin has a better chance at recovering. Getting lots of water and eating healthy foods will give your body the tools to help your skin recover.

I've read in many, many place that it can take up to 2 years after weight loss for the skin to snap back as much as it's going to. So patience will also be a factor.

Good luck to you!
  • ThomasRGrady
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments and support. I will try my best to take them to heart. I know my age will play somewhat into this also ... darn - they really need to find that magic elixir to grow younger :)
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have loose skin after losing (to date) 183 pounds, i have read of people having it affect their workouts etc causing rashes etc. I have had no problems like that, it doesnt interfere with my working out at all. I certainly still have body fat and still have about 40 pounds to go. I dont have any intentions of having it removed...I decided early on if IT became a health issue I would look into it but it hasnt so I wont. I find as long as you dress well its really not noticeable.
  • ThomasRGrady
    Options
    (Said with humor ...) But how do I pose for those pictures that would win me body building awards?

Actually, I suppose it is just my ego - but I'd sure like to wear my swim trunks without having to add a t-shirt to cover up whatever hangs. Of course, right now its not an issue since I still have 60-70 pounds to go to reach my initial goal before I revise it downward.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Loose skin will tighten if patient. I have lost 200 pounds and after 21 months, it is still getting better. I have only lost 1.5 pounds in two months but the skin has changed. I still have considerable loose skin and it doesn't really bother me. I hope for a flatter stomach in the next 6 months or so.

Elastin is what springs the skin back and unfortunately it gets less as a person gets older.

Skin removal can actually look worse than before due to the scars and sometimes the person still has a stomach overhang. This is to ensure the stitches are not pulled apart when the person stands up.

Make sure drink enough fluid and having enough vitamins can help.