What is the correct way to measure a banana?

Options
How do you track a banana? MFP says that a small banana is 6" to 6-7/8" and a large banana is 8" to 8-7/8" long, but where is that from? I have a banana that is 6" on the inside curve, 9" on the outside curve and 6-1/2" top to bottom in a straight line. So according to these measurements, it could be a small banana or an extra large banana, Now it doesn't look like a small banana and it certainly doesn't look like an extra large banana. Looking at the banana, I'd say it was either a medium or large banana, but according to the measurements, neither of those are an option. So what is really the correct way to measure a banana?

Replies

• CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I STRONGLY recommend investing in a good food scale. You can get a decent one for $25-$35, and they are extremely useful. It's next to impossible to be very accurate with your food weights and subsequent calorie estimates without one. Plus, I love mine for baking.
  • TodayYesterday
    TodayYesterday Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    LOL - good question. You could always measure by weight.
  • thinflower_punk
    Options
    i really need to know this answer!
  • brendadale1
    brendadale1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I had to laugh a little bit, because I didnt realize until my recent research..that size does matter in calorie counting.>LOL
  • fervc6064
    Options
    Is this a trick question?
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My daughter asked me the same thing and then said she refuses to measure a banana!!
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I take a cloth measuring tape to measure mine from the outside. If I get one that is in between the sizes I say I had 1.25 of said size banana.

Not sure if this helps or not.
  • jnp96
    jnp96 Posts: 163
    Options
    I calculate my banana by weighing on a scale. I peel it and place on the scale. Just calculate the ounce by the calories per ounce. I use Calorie King which shows it to be 25 calories an ounce.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I guesstimate, but unless it is a real outlier, I usually go with medium.

I really wouldn't sweat it too much. No one gets or stays overweight because of an extra couple of bites of a banana.
  • jiggy_gibby
    Options
    I had to laugh a little bit, because I didnt realize until my recent research..that size does matter in calorie counting.>LOL

LOL.... seriously though, I wondered the same thing. One is 90 calories while the other is 105 calories.

I decided I just didn't care about the 15 calorie difference.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness I use a food scale. I just weigh the thing before I eat it.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Peel, weigh, record, nom.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I weigh them, it is the only way I know.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Must... stay... mature...

Keep mind... on... nutrition....

Nope. Can't do it. Nothing of value to offer.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I think a banana is one of those items that is safe to guestimate. I usually just go with medium.
  • PJmetts
    PJmetts Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Started quite the erotic conversation with hubby,......got to go no, bub bye!:blushing:
  • brendadale1
    brendadale1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I know how she feels..LOL
  • arnoldnagy
    arnoldnagy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Just don't measure it right after a dip in the pool. That water is cold!

~Arny
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    From the bottom
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I weigh it whenever possible.