very discouraged :-(

Options
So I have been dieting strictly for three weeks and exercising at least 4 times a week. I just weighed myself and have only lost 2 lb. im so upset please someone give me some advice or encouragement. Im fixing to drown my sorrows in a gallon of mint chocolate chip.

Replies

• jdayl
    jdayl Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You must remember that muscle weighs more than fat you most likely lost fat and added muscle. How are your clothes fitting?
  • MandyKayFrench
    MandyKayFrench Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have had those same weeks myself - don't let the ice cream get you! If you binge over your disappointment, you'll only erase the hard work you've already done.

Weight loss can be slow - agonizingly slow. You will inevitably take small steps forward (and the occasional big step back!). Just keep your focus on your end goal and know that however long it took you to put the weight on - it should take you AT LEAST that long to take it off, if not longer.

Keep your chin up - keep working at it - find comfort in the progress you DID make! You'll get there!!
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! This plan is not a quick fix and 2 pounds in 3 weeks is really pretty good! It is a slow process just give it time and stay off the scale as much as you can. The scale can be a great discourager. Weight fluctuates a lot during the week so try to limit to once a week weigh ins. Slow and steady gets the job done and in a healthy way. Concentrate on being healthy and the weight loss will be a plus. I wish you the best.:flowerforyou:
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    Do it! Give up and eat the whole tub of ice cream and why not eat some chocolate cake too I hear it's really good for weightloss.

See how silly that sounds. You should be happy you lost 2lbs. What were you expecting?
  • abursey1
    abursey1 Posts: 36
    Options
    Exactly what everyone else has said! Do NOT give up!! This might be too much information, but if you are ovulating or if your period is around the corner, you tend to hold onto a little more water weight around those times. When I have my period, I literally don't budge in my weight or I will gain a couple of pounds..then once it's over I lose like 3-4lbs...
    Just whatever it is, don't give up. You CAN do this! You have to be able to reward yourself sometimes or else you will never stick to it!! You CAN do this.
  • angelface12004
    Options
    :happy: you don't look very big to me, so maybe that is why, my friend who only really wants to lose 10 lbs, finds it really hard, really she is small and don't really need ot lose weight......i think she looks great and would die for her body, but take me, i was 200 when oi started on this so it came off fast at first, now starting a month ago i am losing slowly, i am not getting discouraged beacuse i know i have changed my eating habits and i know that smalled person that i wanna be, so don't get discouraged 2 lbs is 2 lbs earned, you worked hard for that, it will get better. :happy:
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Do it! Give up and eat the whole tub of ice cream and why not eat some chocolate cake too I hear it's really good for weightloss.

See how silly that sounds. You should be happy you lost 2lbs. What were you expecting?
    [/quote

It may sound silly but she is really wanting help. She may not know what to expect yet since she is new to this. It takes some time to get used to the idea of losing slowly . I was the same way when I started this a couple months ago so I can understand where she is in all this.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I lose inches. then i lose pounds. and then i lose inches, and then i lose pounds. either way, when i eat well and work out, i have more energy, my skin looks way better, and i'm happy.

!@#$ the weight, if possible. see what else has changed. if you stick to it you'll never regret it. if you stop, you'll just be at square one later starting allll over again and thinking how if you HADN'T given up, you'd be so much happier with yourself.

stop looking at it in the short run and make new goals that do NOT involve pounds.
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    I didnt say what she said was silly though did I?
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Im fixing to drown my sorrows in a gallon of mint chocolate chip.

Not to be a horse's *kitten*, but that's DEFINITELY not gonna get the weight off of you. :bigsmile: With that said, I'm a sodium Nazi. That's my thing. I preach it constantly. Try adding the sodium column to your food diary for a day or two. It's what was hindering a LOT of my weight loss efforts, I'm afraid. Everyone is different, but I'm hoping one day someone sees my rants about it and realizes that it's their X factor as well. You also may want to make sure you haven't been TOO strict. I am also a firm believer that you should enjoy what you eat. Starvation (i.e. less than 1200 cals a day) and deprivation only trigger binge behaviors. Don't go hungry. And give yourself a break. Averaging a pound a week is an extremely healthy rate to take weight off. We tend to get impatient, but it is a long, slow process. I say congrats on your 2 pounds!
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    So I have been dieting strictly for three weeks and exercising at least 4 times a week. I just weighed myself and have only lost 2 lb. im so upset please someone give me some advice or encouragement. Im fixing to drown my sorrows in a gallon of mint chocolate chip.

I don't mean for this to sound rude, but if you give up now, you'll never lose anymore. If you keep up at the rate you're at you will have lost almost 25 lbs by Christmas time. That's half way to your goal. You can either drown your sorrows in that ice cream and give up today, or you can say THIS is a good start and on Christmas day you'll be looking back going DAMN I've come a long way. Don't forget you can't lose that 50lbs without losing the first 2.......Keep it up girl you're doing great.
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. In my first month of weight loss, I hardly lost any. I was so discouraged but decided to give it a total of 3 months. Within 3 months I had lost more than 30 lbs!! It just started coming off but it seemed to take a while. Keep at it, it will happen.

Also juggle your calories around, go up and down some. It helps!

Good luck and don't give up.
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    ...So I have been dieting strictly for three weeks...

The keyword *diet* tends to make me think maybe you're not getting enough calories to make up for your exercise? Perhaps your body is clinging to the sustenance because it doesn't know when it's going to eat next. Keep in mind that your goal calories on MFP are already at a deficit based on how much weight you want to lose per week, going under may seem like a victory of will power but really it's not beneficial.
  • viadelorosa03
    Options
    Thanks guys! I went outside for a while and enjoyed the sunset with my husband and wonderful baby girl. Away from the ice cream ;-) The posts were very encouraging even the ones that were brutally honest. I'm feeling confidant and motivated to do another three weeks even if it only takes 2 more lbs.
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    You must remember that muscle weighs more than fat you most likely lost fat and added muscle. How are your clothes fitting?

lol....I feel your pain sometimes, but this is a very valid and very important point. I would def keep track of inches as well. That way when you are gaining muscle and not losing weight you actually see the difference! Good luck and good job! Keep it up!
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Cheri! Also read the posts at the beginning of the general diet and weight loss section. Some of those can really help with understanding how this weight loss thing works! :) I thought the scale never would move when I first started. But if you stick with it, it will!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

You're an unbelievably rude person, but I'm sure you know/ enjoy that.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    2 lbs in 3 weeks is great progress. Slow and steady wins the race. :)
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Hi! Another Georgian here! I'm near Gainesville. :happy:
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I started about 2 weeks ago. It's hard to change your diet and be soooo good and not have immediate results! I know that is not how it works but I still want to see results quickly. I have lost a couple of pounds and am working hard to stay motivated. I want to lose this weight for life and from what I read and from what everyone says the best way is slow.

Great job on losing 2 pounds!
This discussion has been closed.