Carbs and weighloss

Options
Hi All

So 4 months I started out on a change, to get healthy and to date have lost 15kgs.. I still have 10kgs to go to my goal weight.

Im happy to loose it steadily, but I am struggling to get below 84kgs... I am holding steady between 84kgs and 84.7kgs

I have what I think is a low amount of carbs in my diet, usually I will have either toast at breakfast OR a sandwich at lunch... Usually dinner is a protein serving and salad or vegies. Occasionally dinner will include brown rice or a wholemeal wrap.

Im wondering if I should try cutting out carbs alltogether as it seems when I dont eat carbs at all, the weight seems to come off better.

The 15kgs came off pretty much without any exercise, but I know the next 10kgs will be harder so have added approx 1.5hrs of exercise over 3 days to my plan... this has been in place for 2 weeks and its not helping.

Any suggestions/thoughts about cutting carbs.. Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers

Sarah

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy. Reduce calories to create a deficit. I lost my weight at 50% carbs
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Hi All

So 4 months I started out on a change, to get healthy and to date have lost 15kgs.. I still have 10kgs to go to my goal weight.

Im happy to loose it steadily, but I am struggling to get below 84kgs... I am holding steady between 84kgs and 84.7kgs

I have what I think is a low amount of carbs in my diet, usually I will have either toast at breakfast OR a sandwich at lunch... Usually dinner is a protein serving and salad or vegies. Occasionally dinner will include brown rice or a wholemeal wrap.

Im wondering if I should try cutting out carbs alltogether as it seems when I dont eat carbs at all, the weight seems to come off better.

The 15kgs came off pretty much without any exercise, but I know the next 10kgs will be harder so have added approx 1.5hrs of exercise over 3 days to my plan... this has been in place for 2 weeks and its not helping.

Cheers

Sarah

Stop eating all forms of bread and you will lose the weight. Realize that as soon as you start eating it again you will probably gain it back.

The only form of carbs I get come from vegetables, that's it .. Brown rice is good and all but it's also just not for me. Try the bread thing and you will see a difference in a week.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Low carb is a matter of preference. It's certainly not necessary to go low carb to lose weight, but for some people it's much easier because it reduces/eliminates cravings and foods higher in fats and protein tend to be more filling. I used it to lose weight and it worked well for me.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Hi All

Cheers

Sarah

Stop eating all forms of bread and you will lose the weight. Realize that as soon as you start eating it again you will probably gain it back.

The only form of carbs I get come from vegetables, that's it .. Brown rice is good and all but it's also just not for me. Try the bread thing and you will see a difference in a week.
    What about paleo bread and other low carb breads? I stayed under 50g net carbs while eating bread every day.
  • shannonsumner92
    Options
    I went on the no carb diet a few yeasr ago and it worked extremely well for me. You can find Atkins products at grocery stores that are all no carb shakes and bars to help satisfy some cravings. If you have EBT, they can be purchased with your EBT card. Bread should probably be cut out of your diet and I learned that if your weight loss progress starts to plateau then take 2 or 3 days to eat whatever you want and then go back to your diet after that and the weight will begin to shred again. The only problem with the no carb diet is that it is very draining with your energy so what i do is eat a BIG healthy breakfast with some carbs and finish the rest of the day off with the strict no carb diet. I just started back at diet and exercise 5 days ago after having a baby 5 months ago so if you'd like to add me as a friend then maybe we can share ideas and recipes!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy. Reduce calories to create a deficit. I lost my weight at 50% carbs

This!! I lost mine at 60% carbs.... Best of Luck
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    No
  • xohailetxo
    Options
    I did the Ketosis diet for about 2 months and lost 20-25 pounds. Ive decided that I want to work out more and eat normal/ heathy food again but I am so scared to take in carbs, I feel like I'll blow up if I eat cereal or a slice of bread. Can someone reassure me that carbs are ok in moderation? Or are they really the enemy? I am trying to take in 1200-1400 calories a day with about an hour of working out a day and want to lose about 40 more pounds. I just feel like the carb intake that MFP is trying to tell me to take in is a lot.
  • magerum
    Options
    I did the Ketosis diet for about 2 months and lost 20-25 pounds. Ive decided that I want to work out more and eat normal/ heathy food again but I am so scared to take in carbs, I feel like I'll blow up if I eat cereal or a slice of bread. Can someone reassure me that carbs are ok in moderation? Or are they really the enemy? I am trying to take in 1200-1400 calories a day with about an hour of working out a day and want to lose about 40 more pounds. I just feel like the carb intake that MFP is trying to tell me to take in is a lot.

I eat near 400 g carbs a day. They are not the enemy.
  • lawandfitness
    lawandfitness Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Maybe its not the carbs you eat that are stalling your weight. Carbs are not the enemy if eaten in moderation. Maybe your food intake and workout routine is getting too repetitive and your body has just adapted... maybe you need to change up your nutrition goals and workout routine and kind of shock your body.... but i am not expert, just reposting advice I have seen on the boards.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    EAT CARBS , i did keto and paleo and all those fad (BS) things and just ended up craving sweets and carbs all day long ... results were poor too . weight lift and do some cardio and eat your macro nutrients in moderation ... no need to SUFFER .
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Low carb is a matter of preference. It's certainly not necessary to go low carb to lose weight, but for some people it's much easier because it reduces/eliminates cravings and foods higher in fats and protein tend to be more filling. I used it to lose weight and it worked well for me.

This.

No reason to reduce carbs simply to reduce carbs. Reduce them if you need to in order to get sufficient fats and proteins, or to help cravings/adherence issues. But don't avoid them simply for the sake of avoiding them.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

They are neither the enemy or the goal. Eat what you prefer, stay in deficit. Create the deficit however you like. Anyone can eat just about anything they want if they work hard enough(barring medical conditions)

A bowl of pasta(a measured serving) tossed in garlic, olive oil, and shrimp is surprisingly low in calories but still hits fat and protein without sacrificing something you may enjoy. .
  • magerum
    Options

They are neither the enemy or the goal. Eat what you prefer, stay in deficit. Create the deficit however you like. Anyone can eat just about anything they want if they work hard enough(barring medical conditions)

A bowl of pasta(a measured serving) tossed in garlic, olive oil, and shrimp is surprisingly low in calories but still hits fat and protein without sacrificing something you may enjoy. .

^ Legit.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options

Ditto.

Lost 13 lbs in 1 month while eating 50-55% carbs. I limit breads though. Mostly eat whole grains such as brown rice, quinoa, potatos and even whole wheat pasta. I basically follow the standard MFP macros. I usually eat slightly more protein because I have a muscular build.
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options

The default carb intake on MFP is considered high by a lot of people here.
    Lots of people reccomend changing the goals so the carb/fat/protein balance is 40/30/30 in stead of whatever it is originally. For me that becomes 125 grams of carbs a day at 1250 calories.
  • jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    A low or very low carb diet could make you lose weight more rapidly from glycogen depletion. Glycogen is a substance that the body uses to store energy in the liver and muscle. Each gram of glycogen is bound to 2~3 grams of water. As glycogen stores get depleted, the water bound to it is lost as well. A low carb diet could make you lose more water weight. However as soon as carbs are eaten again or the body is given the chance to restore its glycogen stores the weight will go right back up. And that is a good thing. There is no benefit in having your glycogen stores chronically depleted. It could be detrimental to your health and it definitely won’t be good for your athletic performance.

Other than that, a lot of people claim that low glycemic index diets can help weight loss by “boosting” the metabolism. I don’t know how much truth there is in that, but there was a recent study that supports that premise (http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1199154) .

In any case, I think that there is no reason avoid carbs. However I do think that it is important to know that not all carbs are equal. I do try to limit the added sugar and white starches I have (rice, pasta, bread). While I love their taste, I don’t find them filling at all, they are of a very high calorie density and of little nutrition value.
  • RitaPrior
    RitaPrior Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Low carb works for me. It's a lifestyle change for my medical situation. I average about 15% carbs a day. Before this, I was taking in about 50% carbs a day with exercise and calorie counting and losing as well. Different things for different situations.