GETTING TONED w/ BodyPump and other Group classes

Options

Replies

• ili_s
    ili_s Posts: 66
    Options
    I only do BodyPump and CXworx for my strength training at the moment and I definitely have visible muscles now when I tense. So i'd say it is good for 'toning'. But burning the fat so you can see the muscle underneath will require cardio.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Body Pump for all but 3 years now, taking body pump will give you long lean muscles and not bulky ones. As a previous post of the line up of what Body Pump entails she is correct of that order. Also like she said one track is squats and one is lunges and you can ask the instructor for modifications. If you are looking to get results from Body Pump you need to take it 2 times a week (u can take it more if u like just not recommended back to back days in order for your muscles to have a rest day). Defin. go light at first and focus on form, if you aren't using the correct form you will cause injury and won't get results as well. Body Pump and CX Worx is the only weight lifting/training I do besides a couple different exercises at home to work on adding strength to my lower back and pecks because they are two weak muscle areas for me I am trying to give them a little extra attention. CX worx is a half hour class that concentrates on your core. AWESOME and challenging class, it has finally fit into my current schedule and I only have been doing it a month and I started to notice a difference in things after only 2 classes. I also take Les Mills Body Combat, and Body Flow. Both are also great classes if your gym offers them. I do Zumba as well. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like or I would be glad to help you out with any other questions you if I can.
    I am fascinated. How does body pump lengthen the fixed points on your bones that your muscles attach to exactly? Since that's the only way I can think of that would make a muscle longer....or is there another way I do not know about?

Mine aren't showing very well, how do I make the bulky ones?

And why are you calling them lean muscles? Isn't that the definition of a muscle? I get just as confused when someone talks about 'assless' chaps...it's the same as saying assless assless pants.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    If you want to be firmer and slimmer, strength train with calorie deficit.

Boring! Come back when you've got a shortcut.
  • sn_etuk
    sn_etuk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Group exercise classes are awesome for so many reasons! I was a group fitness instructor for several years, and plan to go back to teaching as soon as I deal with other issues unrelated to the classes themselves. I started off taking Body Pump and I weighed about 270 lbs. My gym switched from Les Mills to the BTS programs (same format, same variety of programing, but a different company), and I became certified to teach the weight program offered by BTS. Doing primarily the weight program (equivalent to Body Pump), the cycle program (I don't know the Les Mills equivalent, but I know there is one), and Zumba, which I also began teaching, I lost about 120 lbs. I also got very nice muscle definition. I get bored doing weights on the gym floor, so the BTS weight program (called Group Power) really was and still is almost my only strength training routine. Start slow, take your time, be consistent, and ask your instructor for modifications. Don't listen to anyone who says that you can't lift enough weight to get toned while doing these classes. Many times people (especially women unfortunately) don't see results because they don't add enough weight to their bars during class. They're afraid that they will get big and bulky and suddenly grow a beard:); just not true. I knew women who could do their squats with over 100lbs (or about 45.5 kg) in class. Maybe not bodybuilder-type weight, but certainly more than enough for anyone to get very toned. As you can see, I'm truly an advocate of group exercise. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I started back with BodyPump to get back the strength I lost while being lazy. It is a great class to get an over all strength session in, but it is more endurance/cardio like versus solid strength building with heavy lifting. RPM is a great cardio class as is BodyCombat and BodyAttack. As for GRIT.....it is not something to get into right away. They actually encourage you to do Pump first to learn the correct lifting form before GRIT. That class is no joke. I feel like I have done 2 hours of work crammed into 30 min. The plyo classes tend to have a lot of jumping and squat type stuff so if your knees are an issue, you may want to watch a class or two before to see what they do.
  • Kristy528
    Kristy528 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Body Pump for all but 3 years now, taking body pump will give you long lean muscles and not bulky ones. As a previous post of the line up of what Body Pump entails she is correct of that order. Also like she said one track is squats and one is lunges and you can ask the instructor for modifications. If you are looking to get results from Body Pump you need to take it 2 times a week (u can take it more if u like just not recommended back to back days in order for your muscles to have a rest day). Defin. go light at first and focus on form, if you aren't using the correct form you will cause injury and won't get results as well. Body Pump and CX Worx is the only weight lifting/training I do besides a couple different exercises at home to work on adding strength to my lower back and pecks because they are two weak muscle areas for me I am trying to give them a little extra attention. CX worx is a half hour class that concentrates on your core. AWESOME and challenging class, it has finally fit into my current schedule and I only have been doing it a month and I started to notice a difference in things after only 2 classes. I also take Les Mills Body Combat, and Body Flow. Both are also great classes if your gym offers them. I do Zumba as well. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like or I would be glad to help you out with any other questions you if I can.
    I am fascinated. How does body pump lengthen the fixed points on your bones that your muscles attach to exactly? Since that's the only way I can think of that would make a muscle longer....or is there another way I do not know about?

And why are you calling them lean muscles? Isn't that the definition of a muscle? I get just as confused when someone talks about 'assless' chaps...it's the same as saying assless assless pants.

If you want bulky muscle you need to do heavy lifting weights, Here is a little info straight from Les Mills, maybe this will be a better explanation. http://w3.lesmills.com/global/en/classes/bodypump/the-rep-effect/
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

If you want bulky muscle you need to do heavy lifting weights, Here is a little info straight from Les Mills, maybe this will be a better explanation. http://w3.lesmills.com/global/en/classes/bodypump/the-rep-effect/
    Thanks...How much is heavy? I'm weak.
  • jstout365
    Options

Doing body pump did not make my muscles longer or leaner (really, not possible) than they are now that I am lifting heavier. I actually think I am getting more "toned" with the heavy lifting and I'm definitely increasing my strength faster than I did with pump. Lifting Heavy is not going to send someone into muscle building overdrive. Female bodybuilders take years (and most often steroids) to get the muscle mass. I think Les Mills is trying to feed into the "don't build bulk" marketing jabber that keeps many women on the elliptical for 60 min a day. Being strong and lifting heavy will help you look lean with well defined muscles. The other factor that plays into how your muscles look is also how much fat is on top of them.

And I know I am opening myself up to various comments, but this is me on heavy lifting. Bulky? It is a matter of opinion.

IMAG0689_bikinismall_zps3af41395.jpg
  • dallas4u
    Options

Doing body pump did not make my muscles longer or leaner (really, not possible) than they are now that I am lifting heavier. I actually think I am getting more "toned" with the heavy lifting and I'm definitely increasing my strength faster than I did with pump. Lifting Heavy is not going to send someone into muscle building overdrive. Female bodybuilders take years (and most often steroids) to get the muscle mass. I think Les Mills is trying to feed into the "don't build bulk" marketing jabber that keeps many women on the elliptical for 60 min a day. Being strong and lifting heavy will help you look lean with well defined muscles. The other factor that plays into how your muscles look is also how much fat is on top of them.

And I know I am opening myself up to various comments, but this is me on heavy lifting. Bulky? It is a matter of opinion.

IMAG0689_bikinismall_zps3af41395.jpg

NICE ABS!!!! I am coveting them right now! I would say that I would like your ab and arm definition. That is what I am wanting to attempt. Here is the thing with my body. I am very short and can put on weight easily. I will never be a skinny person. I have a Kim Kardashian type body (cannot stand her but that is the best way to describe myself). I am 5'1" with that type of build. When I was growing up, I had a Mary Lou Retton build. Short, muscular. Small Waist. Big booty. A curse and a blessing.

You are bold to put up that pic. You look awesome!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    At my Gym, the Les Mills instructors with the best bodies are the ones that teach Bodystep, Bodypump and the spin class. The other aerobic instructors that teach bodycombat or Zumba are extra thick. By looking at them, I'd say Bodypump, step and spin are the best for weightloss and toning. I'm in a strength training class twice a week outside of bodypump, but I think with bodypump you have to keep increasing your weights (gradually) and work to exhaustion.
  • jstout365
    Options

NICE ABS!!!! I am coveting them right now! I would say that I would like your ab and arm definition. That is what I am wanting to attempt. Here is the thing with my body. I am very short and can put on weight easily. I will never be a skinny person. I have a Kim Kardashian type body (cannot stand her but that is the best way to describe myself). I am 5'1" with that type of build. When I was growing up, I had a Mary Lou Retton build. Short, muscular. Small Waist. Big booty. A curse and a blessing.

You are bold to put up that pic. You look awesome!

First, thanks. Second...I'm only 5'2". I didn't think I could get back to the 120's and I was never in a size 4 before, but I just went for it and kept at it, increasing the weight as often as I could. My main point is, don't let the phrase "Lifting Heavy" make you think for a second that you will somehow get huge. Like I said, BodyPump helped me get back into lifting after I was lazy for a few years. I am now in the weight room on my own working on strength. I can squat over my body weight and bench 95 lbs at 5x5. Still not as strong as I want to be, but not bad for being 125.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

When you said a LITTLE info you weren't kidding! This is the entirety of the site's contents on the issue:
    THE REP EFFECT™
    800 REPS. TOTAL BODY TRANSFORMATION.

The key to BODYPUMP™ is THE REP EFFECT™, a breakthrough in resistance workout training proven to deliver a total body transformation, fast.

THE REP EFFECT™ throws traditional thinking about lifting heavy weights on its head. Exhaust your muscles with light to moderate weights and perform high repetitions in a single workout. It's that simple, and that's the beauty of THE REP EFFECT™.

In a typical BODYPUMP™ class, you'll perform 800 repetitions in 55 minutes! Think you can manage that on your own? Compared to a standard gym workout, it's more than four times the reps during a weight training workout an average person can achieve alone!

BODYPUMP™ use THE REP EFFECT™ to give you sculpted shoulders, defined biceps and triceps, strong lean legs, firm glutes and a tight core. Choreography in each of these areas is specifically targeted so you'll burn fat, burn more calories and achieve more meaningful fat loss and muscle fatigue to build strength without building bulk.

That means a long, lean muscles and a toned, strong physique - fast!

I would say that's an advertisement, not info. And it's complete nonsense. Heavy weight does not make you bulky, only testosterone and a calorie surplus can do that, with strength training, in the hypertrophy rep range, which is somewhere between 6-12 reps. Women take MONTHS of hard work to pack on appreciable muscle without the aid of steroids. But, to err on the side of caution, you can lift in the range of less than 6 reps to guarantee not to see hypertrophy.

Check out this thread to see some examples of what heavy lifting looks like on women here (myself included):
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/884447-do-you-lift-heavy-are-you-bulky
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Tae Bo is where it's at.

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

5964361853_2ac5e95944_z_zps61bf7f64.jpg
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I have to laugh every time someone talks about "bulky" muscles, as if getting "bulky" muscles is easy or something that just happens. The truth is that it's hard to get bulky ... and that's for men. For women ... it's even more difficult.

Lift heavy weight and eat right (no excess calories), you won't get bulky. It really is that simple.
  • dallas4u
    Options
    To clarify - I want tone and definition. I am not concerned or worried about bulk. I just wanna be toned, especially my arms and tummy and glutes.

My post about my body type appears to have been deleted. I am 5'1"and grew up with a Mary Lou Retton gymnast type body. As time progressed and I am in my early 40s - the most accurate description of my body type would be Kim Kardshasian. When I am thinner - I have a small waist but the bigger booty and thighs. I am not looking to be skinny - just want my hourglass back with tone!!!!

I have always gained weight easily. Those are my genetics.
  • ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't remember where the link is, but I have read somewhere an academic article/research that found that repeated reps like in bodypump of weights that challenge you does indeed build muscle....

Maybe someone else remembers this too, I think it was posted in myfitnesspal.

This link shows some photos of evidence of that, only body pump and body attack classes
    Here are my pictures. I don't have a rock solid body though!

(img) 8355656196_5e9e1c0a59_z.jpg
    20120522-205935 by paulineb251, on Flickr (img)

(img) 8355657350_e9b2e1bb54_z.jpg
    20121007-203143 by paulineb251, on Flickr (img)

Unfortunately it isn't me, though I wish it were, and no 'heavy lifting'was ever involved, though the weights used in pump are not light, eg 27 kg for squats, pushups always on toes, chest at 17 kg, lunge track 20 kg etc
  • Kristy528
    Kristy528 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sit here and get in a debate with anyone about this. What alot of you say is true its exremely hard for women to build up body builder type muscles without doing additives to put it simply. I already had known that you aren't telling me anything new. I am just someone that wants to look toned/ripped which was what I took the poster of this thread wanting as well. I had just wanted to share my experience I am having using Les Mills like she has asked, so sorry to piss everyone off!!

Oh and I don't remember who it was that posted the picture I couldn't even see it. But that's great whatever works for you, I tried doing free weights but they just aren't for me, I get bored.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I've never lifted heavy but from the pics and testimonials here I'm sure it gives excellent results and doesn't create bulk. However I have done body pump for the last 2 years and have have great results from that too.
    Over this time I've tripled or more some of the weights I'm lifting and now that I've shed the extra stone I was carrying I have visible muscles on my arms and abdomen (6 pack dare I say), my legs are much stronger and my body generally lifted and more compact. I've lost weight before but always looked slim but soft, like my skin was too big for my body and regained the weight as I didn't like the result that much. This time I look fitter and stronger and I'm determined to keep it up.

Maybe lifting heavy would always give better results even, I can't say but body pump is I think a great place to start. Always keep challenging yourself and trying heavier to get the results you want. I also have a dodgy knee but haven't had a problem so far, you will find your limits or be pleasantly surprised as you go on.Take care.

Edited to add that I do eat plenty of protein too which I think has helped, I aim for 40% or more per day.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    What a fascinating read.

"Tone" is built with a calorie deficit, elevated protein, and some sort of strength training. Low rep, high rep, bodybulder split, 5x5, bodyweight, it doesn't matter. Lose fat, preserve your existing muscle mass, and you'll appear "toned".

"Bulk" is buit with a calorie surplus, sleep, and some sort of strength training. Low rep, high rep, bodybulder split, 5x5, bodyweight, it doesn't matter. Gain weight, with an elevated amount of the gain going to muscle, and over time (a LONG time) you'll get bulky.

A lot of people (a large % of guys and most women) cannot see muscle size. Getting "toned" in most cases will make you appear more "bulky". This is the illusion of leanness. As you strip away fat and start getting sharply defined muscles, they appear larger despite getting smaller. There is a great site somewhere illustrating this concept, where there are two headless body shots of women, there is general agreeement that one is perfectly toned, and the other is too bulky. It is the same woman, the too bulky picture is taken after dieting down following the perfect picture.