Runners and Shoes

Options
How many pairs of running shoes do you use? Do you use different shoes depending on where you are running that day (track, road, trail)? Do you use different shoes in light snow?

Replies

• squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have only one pair. I wear them on dry pavement, wet pavement, snow and ice and I've used them on the treadmill a few times. I haven't tried trail running yet, not sure how they would do in those circumstances.
  • missferoux
    missferoux Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I use one pair until they fall apart and get another :) I make sure I had my running style measured and got the right pair too.
  • camrunner
    Options
    I have 4 "active" pairs of running shoes, along with 5 or 6 that I'm not wearing anymore. You could say that I rotate them, but it's more random than that. Whatever I feel like wearing, really. There's some logic to it, though. Thicker soles for longer runs, thinner for short runs.

I would wear most of my shoes on a trail, but if it's muddy or snowy I might opt for an older pair, or at least a pair that's easier to clean.

A lot of this really comes down to my own neuroses, but I think there's sufficient reason to wear different shoes on trails than you would on pavement or a track. It depends on the trail, of course, but if you're talking about rocks (even gravel), you're probably going to want a little more protection. I've learned that the hard way.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    One pair at the moment. When I was running in Nike Pegasus (which utterly suck in slippery conditions) I was planning on getting dedicated trail shoes, but my last two pair of shoes have been Saucony Kinvara, and they've been plenty grippy for the places I usually run--snow included. Plus they dry really quickly, so I haven't even needed to dig out old shoes to run in the rain.
  • corys8646
    corys8646 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Have four pairs I rotate depending on conditions.
    1 for faster road racing (newton)
    1 for trails (kinvara's)
    1 that is a trail shoe and extra half size larger for longer runs (cortana's)
    1 trail shoe with screws on the bottom for snow/ice running. (Higher mileage cortana's)

The kinvara's have been great shoes for me (good shoe for both trail and road). I use the saucony cortana's for longer runs. A little more padding underfoot.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have road and trail runners.
  • keninf
    keninf Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have regular running shoes for road and treadmill, I have trail shoes and for snow/ice, I use my regular running shoes with runtraks- as I run more and more (only started about 6 months ago) I may keep adding- it seems to be an addicting part of running.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I have 3 pairs. One really good pair of Brooks for running on the treadmill and hard pavement, one for packed soil and grass trails and another for muddier trails. I also wear custom orthotics in all 3.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I have 3 pairs usually. One that's basically worn out but I keep for really crappy conditions, one that I normally wear and a pair for the treadmill that only stay inside. They move along in the rotation, crappy ones get tossed, normal ones become crappy and treadmill moves to the road then I get new treadmill shoes.
  • homemomfreda
    Options
    I started running almost 6 months ago - and I have one pair. I invested in a good pair of Asic running shoes in November on election day! lol I run gravel trails & pavement - snow, rain or shine in them. I am so comfortable in them I can't imagine wearing another pair. However, I think I am going to have to get new ones soon. I think you are supposed to get rid of them after 300 miles.
  • shepa5
    shepa5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am 62 and just signed up for another run in Las Vegas, NV in Nov. 17th at night time. Ran the first night time run! Could not get a pace as there were way to many runners. But all in all it keeps my training and accountable! I use a pair a year. Replace after each run. I only run half rock and roll marathons. They are way fun. I have run Las Vegas, Chicago, Nashville, San Antonio, Philly and have done some twice. You can walk a half marathon if you have to. I keep a 13 min pace, if I can. Good luck! I started at 23 minute miles and lost 67 pounds just training.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    4 pairs

one regular for longer runs (over 10 miles) and one minimal for shorter runs (under 10), for both road and trail.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,227 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to invest in a new pair of running shoes since I'm going to be training for my first half marathon! :bigsmile:
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to invest in a new pair of running shoes since I'm going to be training for my first half marathon! :bigsmile:

I highly recommend the Vibram Fivefingers. They make your feet feel so much lighter! Everyone I know who has used them swears by them.