wanting to lose 10 pounds is just as important to one person

Options
as wanting to lose 100 + pounds.
I realized that last summer, one of my bestest friends ( I know that is not a word, lol) when we started working out, she wanted to lose 10 pounds, and only from her did I learn how important 10 pounds is to someone IT means just as much to that person, and wanting to lose 100 + pounds was to me.
I use to hate ( not really, but you know) people who would complain about needing to lose 10 pounds, I mean REALLY?? 10 pounds, your saying that to ME, the person who needs to lose 150+ pounds?? and you can sleep at night?? BUT, the more weight I lost, the more I realized how important EACH AND EVERY pound is. then I met Jenn, and realized wanting to lose that 10 pounds is just as important. She works at this just as hard, and kills it at the gym 5 or 6 times a week. she isnt one who says I want to lose 10 pounds and does nothing about it, she does something about it.
People say to me now, "you dont need to lose any more weight" and I kindly say, " yes I do" without going into detail about the fat still on my stomach and arms, and the jiggly butt. YES I DO. and I hope someone who says that to me will one day understand how important these last 19 pounds are to me, Just as important as the first 166.

I didnt mean to make this about me, I just want everyone to understand what I learned last summer. The next time someone complains about wanting to lose 10 pounds, try to understand where they are coming from. its such a great thing to understand. and not cause your there too ( cause last summer, I was FAR From there) but just to understand cause we are all on this weight loss journey together, no matter how much we want to lose. :flowerforyou:

Tami

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate.....the first time I got thin.....the first 80 lbs flew off and then I wanted to lose the last 6. THOSE WERE THE HARDEST, and after months when I did lose them, EVERYBODY noticed.....so I know what it's like.

I do like to hear the I lost 100+lbs success stories more than the I lost 10 lbs stories though since I can currently relate to the 100+ lbs more....but I agree they are just as important!!
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Well said! Everyone's goals are important whether it be losing 10or 100lbs ortrying to gain weight or gain muscle ,exercise or just logging food. Health and well being is the common goal!
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I'm having a hard time with my 15-pound goal because everyone assumes that because my BMI is fine that I'm okay with how I look. The other day I let someone make lunch for me, only to realize that they'd put cream cheese spread on the sandwich because I've "been so good" with watching what I eat. :P I think there's so much focus on these huge losses on TV and so much negativity towards underweight people that those of us trying to lose just a little weight get caught up in negativity and disbelief that we actually want to lose weight.

Anyways, good job with your weight loss (166 lbs--way to go!!) and keep it up!
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I like to say, "you don't see them naked" when someone comments about another person wanting to lose 10 lbs. I hear what you are saying, but it's taken me years to figure that one out.
    Keep up the good work!!
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    Thanks for posting this.
    I often feel like a fraud, here with all these people who are losing/to lose 50+kg... I feel like, well, "what some of those people wouldn't give to be *my* size.... " That I feel so selfish for wanting to lose a little bit...
    It's hard to not feel like you've got nothing to be complaining about, when another person's goal is higher than what I weigh right now (for a comparable height, y'know). Or when you see people who have lost loads, but are still biggish, but they're SO proud of themselves, and really they have done such an AMAZING job, and you think, "jeez, if s/he is so estatic to finally be that size, my issues really pale in comparison, i should just be happy with what I've got, it could be worse!"

It's a tough one.
    But nice to see that really we're all in the same boat, together! :bigsmile:

(the funny thing is, my goal weight is still an "overweight" BMI, so I probably have more to lose than what it appears, but I feel my goal is a really good weight for me)
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    very true in every ways. i have had friends who said they want to lose weight and they dont. but i also have seen people that want to lose weight and made it happen. like you said nothing different between 100+ or a 10 pounders (i know that aint a word :blushing:) well beside the point. you said it means just as much. well indeed it does. sometime im like well do something about it, and sometime im like their already skinny as it is. why do they want to lose more. not thinking that oh they want to get healthier or want to do something that they set themselves off to do :) and its great. that they want to accomplish something :) i mean who doesnt. :) great post. thanks for reminding me how much it means to lose even 1 lb. it makes it difficult for people to realize from small to big or big to small.

i want everyone to know that their goals is what matters most and that they are doing great. :)
    but since i have been on here, i have learned that. and well i dont say anything cause i find it great that they want to lose a little more to where they feel is great from themselves :)
  • Mom2Emery_Liam
    Options
    Thanks for posting this.
    I often feel like a fraud, here with all these people who are losing/to lose 50+kg... I feel like, well, "what some of those people wouldn't give to be *my* size.... " That I feel so selfish for wanting to lose a little bit...
    It's hard to not feel like you've got nothing to be complaining about, when another person's goal is higher than what I weigh right now (for a comparable height, y'know). Or when you see people who have lost loads, but are still biggish, but they're SO proud of themselves, and really they have done such an AMAZING job, and you think, "jeez, if s/he is so estatic to finally be that size, my issues really pale in comparison, i should just be happy with what I've got, it could be worse!"

It's a tough one.

(the funny thing is, my goal weight is still an "overweight" BMI, so I probably have more to lose than what it appears, but I feel my goal is a really good weight for me)
    I feel the exact same way! Really, this attitude is what caused me to gain the extra 25lbs in the first place. I felt like I looked decent for a mom of two kids and many women would love to be my size. So I ate whatever I wanted and didn't exercise b/c I was "good enough". Finally I realized that this extra weight was not only unflattering (my before pictures sent me into a fit of tears) but unhealthy for my small frame as well.
    I've realized we're all in this together, regardless of how much everyone has to lose. Every single pound counts and a 10lb loss may make a huge difference for someone short like myself:-)
  • linzismith
    linzismith Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    very well said and thank you for sharing. i have often felt ashamed that i've always been about 30 pounds overweight and could never seem to lose it, when other people have somehow found the discipline to lose 150 pounds.

now that I'm only 5 pounds away from losing that 30 pounds it's still just as tough--tougher in fact. I think the key is just like you said, if someone only has ten pounds to lose but they actually work--REALLY HARD--at losing them, then their battle is just as tough.

However, i do think it's in poor taste to complain to someone (who is very very overweight) about the few pounds you need to lose if you don't actually do anything to try and lose them.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Hi I agree that 10lbs is important,Im about 12lbs from my healthy weight range and I know from experience its going to take me about 3 months to get there,Ive done it so often before.My big problem is, its always been my downfall is once I get anywhere near where I want to be I totally loose motivation and gradually slip back into bad habits,Its a pattern at 13 weeks into my program,Im 4 weeks into it at the moment so Im pretty safe.Im really trying to overcome that hurdle this time.I think being able to log my thoughts here is a big help.:laugh:
  • dulcy
    dulcy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I saw your before & after pictures, You're an amazing woman & clearly you're amazing inside & out!:flowerforyou:

I only have about 10lbs to lose. And I know I'm in my 'healthy' range & BMI, but I'm not happy with myself.

I get so fed up with people saying "you're fine as you are", Well to them maybe, but not to me.

So thank you for posting with such understanding!:heart:
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Great post! And it's nice to see things from someone else perspective. I have a hard time finding the support I would like sometimes because people view my weight loss not all that important. I also sometimes find it hard to encourage my much heavier cousin because I think she looks at me like weight loss and health are something that come easy to me. I have tried introducing her to this site, but she is lacking support at home and we live apart from each other. But your post has given me incentive to try again and find that common ground of health, whether its 100 or 10 lb. You have been and continue to be an AWESOME INSPIRATION!
  • Loulouslim
    Loulouslim Posts: 29
    Options
    Its funny that you posted this, as I was only thinking yesterday. I need to lose about 20lb and when i read your article I thought 166lb god that is what you call weight loss. In a funny sort of way I felt a bit of a cheat for moaning about my weight UNTIL NOW your right my journey to lose 20lb will be painful, stressful and at times pointless, but I know that what ever the weight you will go through these feelings

You are a great inspiration and should take up life coaching (or maybe thats what you do:flowerforyou:

Keep the messages coming

Luisa
    Kent, England
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Tami thanks for your post! We are all in the same boat some of us just have to work at it a little longer to get where we want or need to be. Great job everyone! Keep plugging along we will all get where we want and need to be but it takes effort and lots of determination. :bigsmile:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! Thank you!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I am 8# from my readjusted goal. (I was 13# away)

Everyone who sees me says I don't need to lose anymore but I know what I see in the mirror. I know what I feel. I know what I weighed when having children and I know that it will be good for me to lose just a little bit more.

At this point though, I am only losing about 1/4-1/2 a pound per month. Do you know how hard it is to only lose #1 every 4 months? Losing this next 8 could take me over a year.

I want the jiggle gone and I am willing to fight for it.

There are days when so many people have said "nice" things about the way that I look that I start to feel like I must be anorexic or something...that I don't "see" myself realistically. Then yesterday, I saw a picture of myself and thought...no...look...my are could be smaller, my butt can totally be smaller and firmer.

So, thanks!

This morning I am off to the YMCA to have an assessment. I am excited and eager to hear her advice!

D
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    The last ten are Soooooo hard because your body fights like mad to keep it on. It took going to the gym 6 times a week and eating so carefully to even get 1/2lb a week to budge.

I saw a before and after post today from someone who lost a huge amount of weight and I just sat back in amazement at that level of achievement, she looked GREAT!

I am simply in awe of anyone able to do that kind of transformation and it puts my 45lb lost into a whole different perspective :smile:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this.

It's a tough one.

What you described just about fits my situation. I'll likely never hit a a normal BMI range because I'm not built that way, but another 8-10 pounds would be great.

Congrats to all who've lost big & small amounts.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    My attitude is that if I had lost the first 10 pounds 20 years ago, then I would not have had 5x that to lose last year!! :laugh:

:flowerforyou: to everyone who is making an effort to have a healthier body
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely right!! All weight that needs to be lost by anyone is important! I still need to lose 5 or so of the jiggly pounds but am taking a break from weight loss but it is as important as my first 70+ lbs.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Good info to share. ALSO if a person is trying to lose those 10 pounds (which they may not look like they need to lose in relation to where we are), is healthy in that they are not going to let themselves get to the point they have to lose 40 pounds in one swell swoop! But it still can be annoying when they look like stick people to being with! ha ha
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    The last ten are Soooooo hard because your body fights like mad to keep it on. It took going to the gym 6 times a week and eating so carefully to even get 1/2lb a week to budge.

I saw a before and after post today from someone who lost a huge amount of weight and I just sat back in amazement at that level of achievement, she looked GREAT!

I am simply in awe of anyone able to do that kind of transformation and it puts my 45lb lost into a whole different perspective :smile:

was it me ? lol:bigsmile: