Does slimming world work?

Options

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Evidence suggests that yes, it does. Short term!!! Evidence also suggests people who use Slimming World will re-gain the weight within 3-5 years.

Plus Slimming World is nothing but basic information you probably already know that will cost you money when you could get the same info for free.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,453 Member
    Options
    I know some people swear by it, but I've tried it three times and it didn't seem to work for me. I did lose some weight, but I didn't enjoy the diet and felt miserable on it. I know people who have done it and lost a lot of weight, but put it back on again.

I think that as diets go, it's not too bad. It's low-fat, which I'm not a fan of, but it does push you to include healthy foods, such as dairy, and plenty of fruit and veg. I found that in practice, I ate more processed foods, because they were easier to count (for instance, a packet of pasta-and-sauce was easier than trying to work out what I should allow for a homemade pasta sauce). Muller Light yoghurts seems to be some sort of staple, with people watching the supermarkets for any special offers.

I think the diet does work and is reasonably healthy (if expensive), but I think any diet you pick needs to be something that you feel you can stick to right through maintenance (for years and years to come). I couldn't stick with Slimming World for years.
  • StaceyC1989
    Options
    Cheers Guys! I thought much the same.

I am only 130lbs so I doubt it would help much, guess I will just try to continue to eat healthy. TRY being the word! x
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    It worked really well for a girl I know and then she put a stone back on a few months after.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The people I know who have been successful on it have all been obese/morbidly obese. It seems to help encourage healthy eating (lots of fruit and veg) but not portion control, so is probably less effective the smaller you are.

They have free seven-day eating plans on their website or in their magazines, so you could always try them for a week and see how you get on so you do not waste your money.

My main issue when I have looked into it is the fact it says you can eat as much as you want of certain foods (even apples have calories and if you eat enough of them you will gain weight etc). I struggle with portion control and eating as much as I want of wholesome fresh food is what got me to where I am in the first place (I rarely eat fast food but love to cook). You also have to stick to certain types of food on different days, which is too complicated for me.

I find it easier and simpler to simply log my calories on MFP and stick to my TDEE-20%. That way, if I've been for a run in the morning I know I can have a glass of wine etc in the evening without having to check first if it's on my 'allowed' list.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I did Slimming World a few years ago and yes, it did work... but it also gave me a massive appetite and when I finished the diet I could eat a truck load of everything I shouldn't. Needless to say I gained 50lbs plus in a couple of years. Diets have an end point and therefore it is harder to maintain weight once you end it. Healthy lifestyle all the way!
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options

You also have to stick to certain types of food on different days, which is too complicated for me.

You don't have to do this ^^ anymore on SW. But I found it difficult because of the portion contol issues too. I love my food so being told I could eat some things as much as I wanted... I did just that! Not very helpful!

It is expensive too. That's why I love MFP! It's simple TDEE -20% and free!!
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Evidence suggests that yes, it does. Short term!!! Evidence also suggests people who use Slimming World will re-gain the weight within 3-5 years.

Plus Slimming World is nothing but basic information you probably already know that will cost you money when you could get the same info for free.

This is exactly my experience down to a tee. It worked very well with me, I lost about 30 lbs doing it, but I also regained it when I stopped attending classes. I thought I could go it alone but obviously I couldn't and my will power slowly ebbed away lol.

I have found as well, it didn't teach me decent portion control. I used to eat the free food very freely! But I think in the long run the best thing is to teach yourself how to eat normal sized portions, everything in moderation and all that, ya know.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    It worked really well for a girl I know and then she put a stone back on a few months after.

Which means it didn't work at all, she clearly didn't learn how to eat properly to maintain her new weight.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I did Slimming World for a long time, so no, it didn't work for me, and I don't believe any diet truly does.

However I do believe that Slimming World is one of the better ones in that you don't go hungry and it encourgaes you to eat healthy foods. Not sure about the processed foods comment; I always found that it encouraged me to cook from fresh.

So from Slimming World I learnt how to cook healthily and it made me make some life changes that I still stick to today even though I haven't done it for years. However, it doesn't teach you any kind of portion control - believe me I was shocked when I joined here and saw the amount of calories in rice and pasta - 'free' foods on Slimming World!
  • georgiamarsh11
    Options
    It didn't work for me however, I know people who have lost weight from it so I think it depends on who you are.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    However, it doesn't teach you any kind of portion control - believe me I was shocked when I joined here and saw the amount of calories in rice and pasta - 'free' foods on Slimming World!

Them or entire plates of Slimming World chips and as many eggs you could fit in... I can't imagine it did cholesterol levels much good.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    However, it doesn't teach you any kind of portion control - believe me I was shocked when I joined here and saw the amount of calories in rice and pasta - 'free' foods on Slimming World!

Them or entire plates of Slimming World chips and as many eggs you could fit in... I can't imagine it did cholesterol levels much good.

This is true! Slimming World chips though - I still make them now. They were good!
  • jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I dont think SW does anything that MFP and a bit of common sense couldn't do.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    It didn't for me as you could eat as much red or green as you like. For someone who eats a lot you can't eat as much as you like. However MFP works and it's FREEEEE! :-)
  • juicy_cat
    juicy_cat Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Personally I would say not....They don't re educate you on portion control with free foods so I would say the chance of gaining weight back would be great....I have tried it twice and failed!!
  • nixxy74
    nixxy74 Posts: 106
    Options
    the reason people gain the weight back is the system. what exactly are you counting with syns....wheres the math?

if you dont count actual calories then you dont learn to control it. ...unless you want to eat processed food from slimming world all your life.

losing weight is simple math....even for myself who is dycalculic::::::::::: burn what you have consumed + deficit = weight loss. :)

heres some free info for you thats worked for me.

jillian michaels podcasts. i listen for a weekly brainwashing and great info. they are free!

get a fit bit or a body media fit - you will soon see where you are going wrong by how much you burn versus eating.

if you can afford the odd session get a trainer. ive lost way more with one than with out.

every time you hit a target set. make sure you reward yourself with a non food treat.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    jillian michaels podcasts. i listen for a weekly brainwashing and great info. they are free!

Brainwashing - lol :wink:

Never knew they existed; will have to have a look.