Brand new! Need friends and exercise advice

Options
Hello, I am new to the site and really need a support group. I have been counting the calories all week. I just dont know where to start with the exercise part. Any advice would be great thanks.

Replies

• douglasbeale
    douglasbeale Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Don't over think the exercise, just start today. It's all about calories, doesn't matter how you burn 'em, just burn 'em.
  • blisser99
    blisser99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I guess I just dont know how to determine how many calories I am burning. For instance, at work I am walking at a fast pace for 10 hours and it says I am burning huge amounts of calories, but when I do zumba on xbox, it says that I am burning less, yet I am more tired. It is very confusing to me.
  • Ready2Serve
    Ready2Serve Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The best way is to get a Heart rate monitor. There are a few that will sync with MFP. Just find one that works within your budget.
  • blisser99
    Options
    Thank you... I will look into getting one!
  • douglasbeale
    Options
    Your "Work calories" should be baked into your daily allowance and not counted as exercise because MFP uses that already. But make sure your Goals are all filled out so MFP can calculate your daily allowance correctly. Choose the right activity level under : How would you describe your normal daily activities? (in Goals) then don't count those work calories anymore.

Count only calories burned outside or your normal activity level as exercise.

And your right, it just never seems like you get rewarded with enough burn. I feel that way too. So I try to keep my heart rate very high during exercise to get the maximum benefit .

Everyone is different though, so work at the pace that fits you, and try to find something you like doing.
  • dokme
    dokme Posts: 31
    Options
    I would say just keep doing what you are doing it will works its self out in the end.
  • TashaHem
    Options
    Hi there! I always think that walking is the best thing to do first. It gets you out of the house and it's pretty easy. Bring along a friend or music if you think it's going to be boring. Good luck! You'll do great!
  • King22046
    King22046 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I guess I just dont know how to determine how many calories I am burning. For instance, at work I am walking at a fast pace for 10 hours and it says I am burning huge amounts of calories, but when I do zumba on xbox, it says that I am burning less, yet I am more tired. It is very confusing to me.

I use my FItbit as a tracker AND motivational tool. When I realize I haven't walked as much as normal, I get up and get more walking in. If it's in your budget, give it a try. It also link with MFP, so you dont have to input anything extra.
  • blisser99
    Options
    Thank you everyone.. where would one find a fitbit? Price range?? I feel so clueless.
  • GeekTink
    GeekTink Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitbit.com/

They are a little expensive. I just went to walmart and picked up a pedometer, at the end of every day I tally up my calories burned and put it in under 540 minutes, which is an 9 hour work day, you could use 600 minutes for your ten hours. I wouldn't mind getting a heartrate moniter, but right now its just not in my budget. I love my little pedometer, its nothing fancy but it really helps. Also, just start with little goals for yourself. One night, say you walk down to the end of your street and back. Next night, try twice, or a little different route. You don't need to walk a mile everytime starting off, just take baby steps. Soon you will be looking for longer routes, and you won't even realise you are walking two miles a day. For me, it was all about easing into the process. I can't just jump headlong into somthing.
  • douglasbeale
    Options
    Thank you everyone.. where would one find a fitbit? Price range?? I feel so clueless.

At the top of your page... Check out that APPS tab. it shows the apps and the devices that sinc with MFP
  • Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    check out amazon too for hrm's. I am using a polar ft4 and works great.
  • leotardbanshee
    leotardbanshee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    They sell fitbits at best buy or at www.fitbit.com they are $50 for the simple model and $99 for the fancy one that tracks your sleeping habits, I will be so jealous if you get one, they seem so awesome! As far as exercising goes, just getting out and walking can be the simplest thing, explore places around your city you have never seen before! mapmyrun is an app that I have on my phone that tracks my speed and distance as well as calories burned :) Also, I always recommend that people try weight lifting as part of their exercise routine. If you don't have a gym membership, just doing simple things like push ups or squats at home can help to build muscle, and muscle tissue uses calories and helps to increase your metabolism. Good luck to you!
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is to do something you enjoy at first. Maybe a walk or a bike ride. As you find it easier and easier to get out and exercise, start pushing yourself outside your comfort zone. Maybe add a little run with your walks. Just make excersising a priority in your day.

I also agree with most on the HRM. It is the most accurate way to see what you are burning. If you have a smartphone, you can download Endomondo. It is a cool app that tracks your activities using GPS. You can link it right up to MFP and also sync a HRM if you have one.

Best of luck, and feel free to add me.
  • beautifulbeast11
    beautifulbeast11 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7... it's amazing.

The FT4 is comparable and is cheaper.
  • blisser99
    Options
    Wow that is kind of pricey... Maybe I will save up.
    As of now I walk around 14 miles a night at work. I have a pedometer and use that. But I stay the same weight. So I am trying to mix it up a bit and focus on the food part of it.
  • deekay8507
    deekay8507 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    14miles 8is great! I'm gonna add you!