Is it possible to have a flat abdomen after pregnancy?

Options
I am 27, I've had 4 children, and recently lost 37lbs (172lbs down to 135lbs) I am now within 10lbs of my goal, I've started working out 4 times a week, and I am wondering if it is at all possible to shift the excess fat that still lurks on my belly???

Replies

• Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...I'd like to know too!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    The question isn't "is it possible?"... the question is "will you work hard enough for it?"
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Of course it is. For everyone? Maybe not. For most? Probably. If it's possible for you, know one can tell you. My trainer looks amazing, but a) she's a personal trainer and b) she's only had one child.

For me, it's not possible without surgery but that has nothing to do with kids (I have 3 kids, but didn't give birth to them).
  • greeneyedKat
    Options
    I had 4 children too. For me, just doing sit ups and crunches didnt work. I find it helps to do several different exercises, like knee ups( hanging from a bar), leg raises(lying on bench), planks, along with side bends, and twists(using empty barbell,or even a broom) jogging in place, raising your knees high is good too!
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    My wife has had 4 children and has also had some late miscarriages so she's been pregnant a total of 13 times. After she has a baby she just follows a basic strength training program but performs her lifts as a circuit and 12-16 weeks later she's back in a bikini. Her circuits look something like this:

Squat 5 reps
    Push Press 5 reps
    Power Clean 5 reps
    Barbell Row 5 reps
    Romanian Deadlift 5 reps
    Push Ups 5 reps
    Rest 1 minute

Another variation:

Snatch 5 reps
    Power Clean 5 reps
    Front Squat 5 reps
    Push Press 5 reps
    High Pulls 5 reps
    Rest 1 min

She usually starts with 45lbs on the bar and 3 rounds of the circuit and will work up to 95lbs on the bar and 5-6 rounds by the end of a 3-4 month period. She really focuses on increasing her speed and work volume consistently throughout the training cycle by hitting a pr of some sort every training session. The pr could be weight, an extra round, shorter rest periods between rounds or by beating her previous time. Sometimes she will perform the same lifts but with dumbbells just to mix it up. She does this 3 days a week and it only takes about 20-30 minutes. After this training cycle she resumes her regular weightlifting/cardio routine which is a basic bodybuilding split focused on compound movements and heavy weights. I hope this helps!
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    The question isn't "is it possible?"... the question is "will you work hard enough for it?"

spot on!

edit: i think there are some cases where abdominal muscles get altered due to pregnancy. my old boss lost her pregnancy weight, but if she would work her core at all, her stomach would get bigger. she ended up having a consult with a plastic surgeon and he said that because of her expanding so much from pregnancy, they needed to be sewn back together
  • twinkychops
    twinkychops Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My wife has had 4 children and has also had some late miscarriages so she's been pregnant a total of 13 times. After she has a baby she just follows a basic strength training program but performs her lifts as a circuit and 12-16 weeks later she's back in a bikini. Her circuits look something like this:

Squat 5 reps
    Push Press 5 reps
    Power Clean 5 reps
    Barbell Row 5 reps
    Romanian Deadlift 5 reps
    Push Ups 5 reps
    Rest 1 minute

Another variation:

Snatch 5 reps
    Power Clean 5 reps
    Front Squat 5 reps
    Push Press 5 reps
    High Pulls 5 reps
    Rest 1 min

She usually starts with 45lbs on the bar and 3 rounds of the circuit and will work up to 95lbs on the bar and 5-6 rounds by the end of a 3-4 month period. She really focuses on increasing her speed and work volume consistently throughout the training cycle by hitting a pr of some sort every training session. The pr could be weight, an extra round, shorter rest periods between rounds or by beating her previous time. Sometimes she will perform the same lifts but with dumbbells just to mix it up. She does this 3 days a week and it only takes about 20-30 minutes. After this training cycle she resumes her regular weightlifting/cardio routine which is a basic bodybuilding split focused on compound movements and heavy weights. I hope this helps!

I wish I knew what half of this meant! I'm new to weights and don't get all the terms etc...
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It is very possible. Though some women after pregnancies find they end up with abdominal separation (diastasis recti) that some ab exercises can actually make worse and takes specific exercises to make better. You can do a google search to look for the ways to test if you have it. If you don't, then it's just about clean eating and hard work!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Boom. There it is. I have some mothers on my FL with stomachs that would make professional fitness models jealous. One of them had her 3rd kid 11 months ago and has a flat stomach and defined abs in a pic she took of herself this week.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Yes it is possible, but you have to get your body fat down and work very hard. You might always have loose skin, but the muscles can come back together.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    <
    I have 3 kids :)

Thanks for the mention, DavPul :flowerforyou:
  • crieve
    crieve Posts: 33
    Options
    bump...I have had 5 kids and looking forward to being another success story on this topic. Hard work here I come.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    Options
    iEzPlUM.jpg?1
    N7uVmdH.jpg?1

13 months later

4ckJ8Fa.jpg

iRl0FHg.jpg
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    iEzPlUM.jpg?1
    N7uVmdH.jpg?1

13 months later

4ckJ8Fa.jpg

iRl0FHg.jpg

Good gravy, I seriously want to grab pom poms and walk around as your personal cheer squad. You are so flippin' awesome.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    Options
    :heart: :heart:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    See? Told you guys she was awesome.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I'm 36 and have two kids age 5 & 7. They weighed in at 8lbs 13oz.

It is possible. :)
  • lovetolift82
    Options
    I have 3 kids...yes it is possible but it ain't all about crunches, fat need to be stripped away to reveal the muscles, hard hitting cardio and crunches is the key. Eat clean train mean!????