Replies

• Ben_1960
    Ben_1960 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Nothing! I gave up Lent in my teens.
  • mbarryteach
    mbarryteach Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I will be giving up chips and candy ( gummie bears and gummie worms are my weakness!)....I thought about popcorn but I can't go that far.
  • MadeInDR022
    Options
    I haven't done anything for lent in a long time...but I'm thinking I'm going to do a semi-fast every Wednesday and Friday until sunset and giving up bread, pasta and rice. ahh!
  • Nimadi486
    Nimadi486 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am giving up alcohol and eating after 8 pm.
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    does sex count?

if not, ketchup.
  • ShellB8585
    ShellB8585 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    ALCOHOL! and maybe chocolate
  • Jodycnd
    Jodycnd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I won't be giving anything up, instead I am going to make myself workout every day.
  • donnya89
    Options
    DH & I are giving up processed (white) flour and sugar and things made with them
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Wild parties, binge drinking and illicit sex.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Apparently I'm giving up the Pope. :frown:

Hope his health is okay.
  • GabriellaMaria
    GabriellaMaria Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Church!
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • allisona28
    allisona28 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My BOYFRIEND!!
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I will be reading my devotions daily....
    ^This^
    I know everyone thinks of giving things up, but it is also a time to take things on.

I will also give up sodas.
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I gave up LENT years ago but it just so happens that my resoultion to stop unneccessary spending coinsides with lent so there ya go.
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Im giving up sweets...candy, cookies, cake, brownies...what have you.
    I think since my office is always heavy in sweets, that it will help me to get a hold of myself.
  • tifalva
    tifalva Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up booze for lent. In my case that's gin.

It's traditional to donate to charity the money you'd save by giving something up, so someone else benefits from you abstaining.

I'm going to donate mine to my church (the money I've not spent, not the gin!!!)

Who would you donate your money to?

I love that idea!!
  • lyndajo1959
    lyndajo1959 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I have 2 days to think/meditate on this. I really want to do something that will not be easy for 40 (46) days. Something not easy but will feel a real sense of accomplishment and spiritual commitment when done successfully! Haven't done something like this since I was a kid. When I decide...I'll repost again...hhhmmmm...alcohol, fasting, meat (already trying this-doing well), daily meditation (already trying this-doing well), daily exercise (already trying this-doing well).

SO I need to find something that isn't going to be so easy!
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I still haven't decided yet.
    I'm not Catholic but I do see the physical and spiritual benefits of the practice.
    Maybe I'll do sodas and something else if I land on something.

I may also set up time and space for prayers and meditations or to at least work on having more body positive thoughts.
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Solid food. I'm doing a liquid fast for the next 40 with the exception of 1 day - my sister's birthday - I'm taking her to brunch. It came at a good time. I go through phases when I really dont want to eat anything and the act of eating really bothers me and I'm in that mindset right now so I'll stick with protein shakes.