lower intensity and keep going or stop

Options
When I'm working out and I feel weak is it better to lower my intensity and keep going or to stop all together? I've been lowering my intensity and keeping it up for the alloted time period but I'm not working very hard.................???

Replies

• mary1127
    mary1127 Posts: 37
    Options
    When I'm working out and I feel weak is it better to lower my intensity and keep going or to stop all together? I've been lowering my intensity and keeping it up for the alloted time period but I'm not working very hard.................???
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    I was just thinking the SAME thing.. i wonder if it is even worth it to keep going at a low intensity if you aren't getting your heart rate up. My opinion is keep on going! So long as you are able.. ( not feeling dizzy or sick or anything like that) calories are still being burned. I have tried to read up on it a little..some websites say to just stop because if your heart rate isn't up it isn't worth it.. other sites say..keep on going..you're still moving so your doing good. I have the same problem though..I walk on my treadmill at a fast pace for thirty minutes..but then slow it down..a lot..for the last fifteen minutes. I wonder if it is worth it to keep going at the slow pace or just stop all together . ..hmm... good question..interested to reading the posts on this one!
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I would think any movement would be good. Especially if you were working a somewhat high intensity and then slowed down, your body is still burning the calories. But the heat and humidity (depending on where you live) I think is slowing everyone down. But then again, your body has to work a little harder I read somewhere to keep your body cool, so maybe the calorie burning evens out. Who knows? Movement of any kind I suppose is what matters.
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    Options
    keep going! doing cardio at low intensity burns fat!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    How weak is weak - are you feeling light headed or dizzy, if so then stop.

Do you just feel like you are lacking the endurance to go full speed any longer? then continue at the lower intensity? you need to keep building upon your current work out level to gain the strength.

Do you know if you are keeping your heart rate up during the lower intesity? Do you have a heart rate monitor?

What are you eating and when prior to your workouts? Perhaps you need to consider energy bars or protein shakes one hour prior to working out. This is a huge help to me.

I agree, that any movement is better than nothing at all AS LONG AS it is not endangering your health e.g passing out...
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    How weak is weak - are you feeling light headed or dizzy, if so then stop.

I agree, that any movement is better than nothing at all AS LONG AS it is not endangering your health e.g passing out...

yes, at the very least you are building up endurance.
  • mary1127
    mary1127 Posts: 37
    Options
    i'm not feeling weak like dizzy or anything. I almost feel as if I'm "bonking" which is a cycling term for when you have run out of gycogen in your muscles....................but I have only been working out a little over 45 minutes...........but after 40 to 50 minutes I just can't push myself anymore.if i've been working on the Bosu....I have to stop and just work on the floor. If I'm stair climbing, I have to lean on the machine or lower to the easiest intensity.....................I eat breakfast of steel cut oatmeal about two hours before I workout....also coffee. Am I having an insulin crash or something?
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast of steel cut oatmeal about two hours before I workout....also coffee. Am I having an insulin crash or something?

Try eating some protein w/ breakfast... a good mix of protein/carbs helps keep your stamina and your blood sugar levels up during a workout. Prevents your muscles from burning too much glycogen.
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    It's not how hard you work but the fact that you work at all. A common misperceiption is that if you worked out real hard and feel totally exhausted you burned a lot of calories. Not so! Keep going, by no means stop. You will burn calories at that slow pace. And, as someone said before, you build endurance,so next time it will be easier to "go that distance".