What are you giving up for LENT?

Options

Replies

• northfresh
    Options
    I'm going to give up taking the elevator at college (only 4 floors high so not that bad..), and I'm going to (try to) give up alcohol... Or at least cut down to 1 or 2 drinks a week.
    I think I will join you on the elevator challenge... I am also only on the fourth floor so I should suck it up!
  • sdbart
    sdbart Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Traditional Religion... :laugh:
  • SeansMomma
    Options
    I've been pregnant or nursing for the past two years so instead of food I gave up music. It was VERY QUIET in the car but on the plus side, I picked up some Spanish! This year, I don't know... I'm considering giving up wine or all sweets or just stick to giving up music because I really love music on my walks, in the car, etc.

good luck on figuring it out!
  • Mbotter17
    Mbotter17 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm going to fast (within reason) on holy days and instead of giving up something I'm going to be more kind, helpful, and complimentary, because the whole point is to deepen your realationship with Christ. Good luck to all of you trying to maintain a goal and kuddos to all of you that have set goals.
  • justmyalias
    justmyalias Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    LOL......love it!
    Are people giving up things for Lent because of religious beliefs or just giving things up because it seems to be the thing to do? Just curious.

I am not Catholic, but I will usually give something up for Lent.
    I think sacrifice does the body and mind good, and also allows a chance to re-focus on what is really important. (I am fairly religious - but I still think others could similarly observe for their own personal reasons...)
  • Kyrosh
    Kyrosh Posts: 238
    Options
    I'm gonna give up anything that comes from a coffee shop!
  • BethLynn2018
    BethLynn2018 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give up LAZINESS !
  • lpc505_girl
    Options
    Lots of good ideas on here! Just a tip-- Lent is about sacrifice, so you don't necessarily have to give up something. You can add something that would ordinarily be a sacrifice!
    I'm usually wrapped up in my own little world; I would like to do one good deed for a stranger a day :)
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I don't do well with absolutes. Telling myself I CANNOT do/eat something is a sure fire way for me to do it and go overboard with it. So I am sticking with my everything in moderation as far as diet as concerned.

I am going to TRY...TRY...to give up cursing. And facebook.
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i gave up potato chips 3 lents ago. have had maybe 6 bags total since. gave up chocolate 2 lents ago. not quite so successful, but it helped me realise i can function without without a daily snickers (and the rest). i'm not religious and never have been, but i use lent as a personal test of my willpower and resolve :smile:
  • Emmysaurusrex
    Emmysaurusrex Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Coffee:sad: and just so everyone knows, lent is 46 Days this year:cry:

Lent is always 40 days. Sundays don't count (think cheat days)!

http://catholicism.about.com/od/holydaysandholidays/f/Counting_Lent.htm

I haven't given it much thought. I guess I'll keep an eye on this thread for ideas. :smile:
  • ewies84
    ewies84 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are teaming up this year to eliminate all soda (mostly me) and fast food (both of us) from our diets. No more salads and grilled chicken from fast food; we will cook at home and pack our lunches/suppers. We've also decided to limit sit-down restaurant dining to once a week. We both live very busy lives with many, many commitments and our kids are busy, too, so we are always eating on the go. It's killing us, both nutritionally and financially.

Growing up, we always did something MORE in addition to giving something up. This year, we have decided that, as a family, we are going to pray together more. We all pray individually, but other than before/after meals or at Mass, we do not pray as a family. We are going to make a more concentrated effort to pray together - there's that old saying, "the family that prays together, stays together." :)
  • livelifenow91
    livelifenow91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to remember that the entire POINT of giving something up for Lent is so that you spend the time you would have spent with that, with God. People fasted and spent the times they would have spent eating in prayer with God. While this is a good use for many of your diets and such, don't forget the real meaning etiher. Spend some time with God during your freetime from your fast. Make it count
  • timmemin
    timmemin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    refined sugar. It is going to be an interesting 40 days. I eat chocolate in some form everyday.
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    This year I'm adding something and sacrificing as well. I'm going to do the rosary every day and elimiate fast food chain eating. Tim Horton's and McDonald's breakfasts are sooo hard to resist when I'm in a rush in the morning. Also limiting the times I go out to eat to 1x week.
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I am not catholic - but last year the local radio station dj's were talking about what they were giving up - so i thought it would be fun to give it a try myself.

I gave up for lent soda - any kind - be it diet or regular - i didn't drink a drop for 40 days.....soon as it was over i went buck wild and probably gained 20lbs just off regular coke alone. was not a good idea for me lol.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    The Pirate Bay
  • junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this, because I have been struggling with my decision.

The things I normally do have now become a part of my lifestyle:
    I feel I shouldn't give up snacking, because on my big calorie torching days I need snacks to fuel me.
    I don't eat "bad" foods like chocolate or candy too often, so I can't really give those up.
    I already work out 6 days a week, so I can't add "work out" to my routine.

I'm going to have think outside of the box and sacrifice in a new way. Maybe start attending daily mass or do community service type activities. It actually may be more of a sacrifice for me to give up some time at the gym and give it to other areas of my life and the community. Food for thought, for sure.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Asking what one is giving up for Lent is the same as asking what someone has prayed to God when you see their head hung in silent prayer. That's between God and me, only.
  • sueb6109
    sueb6109 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wine except for Saturday's