Is tea the same as water?

Options
hi folks, does anyone know whether I can add to my cups of water if I drink a cup of tea? thanks.

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Similar, though the caffiene is a diuretic.
  • EmmaJean7
    EmmaJean7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Not if your tea is caffinated. It will actually slightly dehydrate your body. They say if you drink caffinated tea/coffee, to drink the same amount in water to keep your body hydrated.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Just how much caffeine does it take for tea to dehydrate someone?

Yes, you might as well count your tea as water.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Not if your tea is caffinated. It will actually slightly dehydrate your body. They say if you drink caffinated tea/coffee, to drink the same amount in water to keep your body hydrated.
    No. Current research shows the dehydration from tea and coffee for regular drinkers is minimal.
    Go ahead and count your tea as water.
  • sueb6109
    sueb6109 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same that you can't count it and need to replace with water.
    I'm a caffeine junkie and it's difficult.:tongue:
  • benflando
    Options
    It doesn't dehydrate you. It's just part of caffeine.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same that you can't count it and need to replace with water.
    I'm a caffeine junkie and it's difficult.:tongue:
    Tea and coffee hydrate you. Stop stressing:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21450118
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Yes. to make tea you have

1. teabag
    2. some water

If you ate the teabag and drank the water you'd log the water as ...water, right?

by putting the teabag in the water you aren't magically making into a substance known as "not-water"
  • Joeb6l2
    Joeb6l2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I personally hate plain water and have to believe there us no way for me to logistically drink water equal to what I drink in diet coke (8 plus cans daily) so drink water with crystal light or I love the energy caffeinated MIO's.

Glad to read that I can still count my crystal / MIO's as water.

Thanks!!
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options

1. teabag
    2. some water

If you ate the teabag and drank the water you'd log the water as ...water, right?

by putting the teabag in the water you aren't magically making into a substance known as "not-water"

LMAO
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    No. Current research shows the dehydration from tea and coffee for regular drinkers is minimal.
    Go ahead and count your tea as water.

This. Very high consumption can dehydrate, but the average person drinking a couple of cups a day isn't going to be affected.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

1. teabag
    2. some water

LMAO

I thought the same thing. Then i started thinking all sorts of weird things to try this with like steak, cheesecake, and donuts.

:laugh:

Its all water!
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    I saw a nutritionist last month and she said that nothing caffeinated counts toward the 64oz per day. Non Caffeinated teas and coffees will. So will powerade and water with mio and crystal light in them.
  • JenniferDLP
    JenniferDLP Posts: 56 Member
    Options

1. teabag
    2. some water

lol love it.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    yay!
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I always drink decaffeinated tea, and unless I add Truvia to it I count it as my water.
  • vander7679
    vander7679 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I saw a nutritionist last month and she said that nothing caffeinated counts toward the 64oz per day. Non Caffeinated teas and coffees will. So will powerade and water with mio and crystal light in them.

My nutritionist said that Crystal Light and tea can be counted towards my water consumption.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options

1. teabag
    2. some water

This!
    I drink quite a bit of iced tea and if it was dehydrating as everyone here says it is I would be nothing but dust right now or peeing every 5 seconds. According to my Lipton box there is only 15mg of caffeine per 8 ozs (probably less for me because I have started using 1 teabag for 16+ ounces).
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI.....if carbonated water is not the same as flat water, then why would you possibly think tea is the same as water?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/114475-carbonated-water-vs.-flat-water/

For weight loss goals and caloric intake and other antioxidants, tea is GREAT. But for making sure your kidneys can do their job and function well nothing beats pure ph balanced flat H20
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    You are quoting livestrong.....really?