What are you giving up for LENT?

Options

Replies

• Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Sex.

Pretty much my wife's choice, but I'm counting it for me.

STEVE!!!! Lent doesn't last 365 days a year.....JEEZ
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Really don't know what to give up this year. Gave up tea one year and never been back on it. Also given up Coca-Cola, never went back on it. I have the occasional treat which won't mean much if I give it up. I also have sugar now and then so I could give sugar up but won't miss it. I can't give up the internet as also use it for work lol.
  • thintor
    Options
    hot chocolate! i can't stop drinking it and it's SO bad!
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hopefully a few more pounds.
  • AwesomeMoJo
    AwesomeMoJo Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    For lent Iam going to give up...hmmm...giving things up. lol yep...that's it..not going to give anything up for lent this year...that is what I am giving up...I am giving up, giving things up...(that statement made sense in my head but looks strange typed out)...

:bigsmile:
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Sex.

Pretty much my wife's choice, but I'm counting it for me.

STEVE!!!! Lent doesn't last 365 days a year.....JEEZ

No, 363 on average.
  • cinciti
    cinciti Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up packaged foods, which I've already kinda started doing... I need to get off those frozen dinners for lunch!
  • jkirby79
    jkirby79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up booze for lent. In my case that's gin.

It's traditional to donate to charity the money you'd save by giving something up, so someone else benefits from you abstaining.

I'm going to donate mine to my church (the money I've not spent, not the gin!!!)

Who would you donate your money to?

What a great post. Witty and inspiring all at the same time. I lol'd.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    LOL......love it!
    Are people giving up things for Lent because of religious beliefs or just giving things up because it seems to be the thing to do? Just curious.

I am not Catholic, but I will usually give something up for Lent.
    I think sacrifice does the body and mind good, and also allows a chance to re-focus on what is really important. (I am fairly religious - but I still think others could similarly observe for their own personal reasons...)

I'm not Catholic either. I was raised Baptist, and I attend a Baptist church. Even though I don't know of anything in scripture that mandates the idea behind Lent, I think the idea behind it is a good one. For Christians, the Easter season is a time to think about the sacrifice that was made for us, so it stands to reason that we should be thinking about sacrifices that we can make in our own lives for the benefit of others, for the benefit of God's glory, to improve the quality of our own lives so that we have more energy to give of ourselves, or all of the above.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Nothing
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    Debating between protein bars/granola bars, etc (been eating way too much of those lately) and diet soda.
  • DianaMI
    DianaMI Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I will give up the couch, lazyness, waiting till the last minute.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I'm not giving anything up, but I am TAKING ON the discipline of running more than I need to in order to simply pass my physical fitness test. (I guess you could say I'm giving up the indulgence of doing just enough to pass.)
  • Amy106Days
    Amy106Days Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am going to give up being so darn b*tchy to my husband. I am mostly kind to everyone except my poor patient husband who because he knows me better than anyone else I expect so much from him. I get downright nasty with him if he lets me down or makes me repeat or explain myself. It is not the way I would be treated and he does not truly deserve being my outlet for anger. This will be hard because I have quit smoking and am not just eating my feelings anymore.
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    There were a lot of good options in this list. I'm getting myself together with MFP, exercising, eating healthier, so I'm embracing fiscal responsibility (hate balancing the checkbook) and scaling back tv time to 5 hours a week. I may even go to Mass. I better write those down so I don't forget! I will be simply amazing by spring.
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    LOL......love it!
    Are people giving up things for Lent because of religious beliefs or just giving things up because it seems to be the thing to do? Just curious.

I am not Catholic, but I will usually give something up for Lent.
    I think sacrifice does the body and mind good, and also allows a chance to re-focus on what is really important. (I am fairly religious - but I still think others could similarly observe for their own personal reasons...)

I'm not Catholic either. I was raised Baptist, and I attend a Baptist church. Even though I don't know of anything in scripture that mandates the idea behind Lent, I think the idea behind it is a good one. For Christians, the Easter season is a time to think about the sacrifice that was made for us, so it stands to reason that we should be thinking about sacrifices that we can make in our own lives for the benefit of others, for the benefit of God's glory, to improve the quality of our own lives so that we have more energy to give of ourselves, or all of the above.

I am Catholic. It's pretty common for people of other faiths to get ashes on Ash Wednesday and "celebrate" Lent. It's neat seeing different people there. I'm not sure how many non-Catholics attend, but I speak to a few here and there. They seem quite pleased to talk about being there for the ashes, lol. The idea behind the 40 days of Lent is to remember and in some small way "live" the 40 days Jesus spent in the desert.
  • laydeneko
    laydeneko Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Solid food. I'm doing a liquid fast for the next 40 with the exception of 1 day - my sister's birthday - I'm taking her to brunch. It came at a good time. I go through phases when I really dont want to eat anything and the act of eating really bothers me and I'm in that mindset right now so I'll stick with protein shakes.

I've been doing this for the past couple years, and I'm planning on doing it again this year. Instead of protein shakes, I'm going to try the Special K water mix.
    Swearing... I've made a bad habit of swearing at work of all places. Nowhere else, really... just work.

Good idea! I'll add that on as well, I've developed quite the potty mouth lately.
  • DianaMI
    DianaMI Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Also Shopping for things I dont need..good one..cuz I love Amazon
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    does sex count?

if not, ketchup.

I gotta ask.... Is that the same thing?

I will be more forgiving to the *kitten* on the freeway.
  • Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    My dignity.