Replies

• Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    Yes. to make tea you have

1. teabag
    2. some water

If you ate the teabag and drank the water you'd log the water as ...water, right?

by putting the teabag in the water you aren't magically making into a substance known as "not-water"
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It doesn't dehydrate you. It's just part of caffeine.

agreed, if this myth were true I would have died of dehydration already.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    You are quoting livestrong.....really?

Yup. I guess cause 1 guy lies their entire organization is discredited? Seems fair and logical.

Its physical science 101. When you change the physical properties of something, it no longer is that thing. Chemically, Tea is not water no matter how you twist it.

http://msl1.mit.edu/ESD10/kidneys/HndbkHTML/ch1.htm

There, I quoted MIT. Is that good enough for you?
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    if you are putting anything in it, like sugar, milk, honey, etc. i wouldn't count it

and i thought the comment about eating the tea bag and drinking the water was ludicrous, not trying to be mean, but the picture of the bra threw me off as well i guess.

if you drank kool-aid...which is water, sugar, and powder...would you log the water? no

if you chased your shot of rye with water, would you count the water? you probably shouldn't. just drink some water.
  • bearkisses
    Options

Yup. I guess cause 1 guy lies their entire organization is discredited? Seems fair and logical.

Its physical science 101. When you change the physical properties of something, it no longer is that thing. Chemically, Tea is not water no matter how you twist it.

THANK YOU!
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    anyone got any links to scientific studies that show coffee hydrates you? seriously, i'm genuinly curious.

i am a very regular coffee drinker. i have one medium sized mug every morning. and i'm pretty sure it squeezes me dry. if i don't drink enough water to counteract the coffee, i will feel extremely dehydrated.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

Here is another one:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120802111332.htm

If tea is the same as water, then I guess water is causing the kidney stones.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Count it as water if you want to because this is not going to derail you from your goals.. Keep it simple. It's too easy to get confused and focus on the wrong things when you listen to all the "shoulds" and "don't s ". Use your progress as a tool to determine what does and does not work for you.

Also do a search on this topic; this topic has been discussed in gigantic proportions.
  • Fatandfifty3
    Options

You may have quoted MIT but did you read it?
  • jess83rod
    jess83rod Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lol...I completly agree!
  • bearkisses
    Options

it is basic chemistry, you add one thing to another and it changes the properties

if you eat a cheesecake with fruit all over the top, you probably shouldn't count that as your daily serving of fruit
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Not if your tea is caffinated. It will actually slightly dehydrate your body. They say if you drink caffinated tea/coffee, to drink the same amount in water to keep your body hydrated.

totally false information ^^
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Utter rot.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

it is basic chemistry, you add one thing to another and it changes the properties

if you eat a cheesecake with fruit all over the top, you probably shouldn't count that as your daily serving of fruit

bearkisses-- i've tried arguing this using your same point several times. its pretty futile.
  • Fatandfifty3
    Options
    Utter rot.
    yup
  • s_west
    s_west Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I add a teabag of non caffeinated chammomile to a mug of boiling water, I count that as water. Because it is H20 with some flavour added. And adding flavour does not change the underlying chemical composition of a substance.

Unless of course boiling water changes it's chemical composition. Which it doesn't. So please don't tell me it does.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options

Here is another one:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120802111332.htm

If tea is the same as water, then I guess water is causing the kidney stones.

The presence of oxalate does not remove the water.

In a sample size of 1 - I pretty much only drink iced tea. 100+ ounces a day or so - for about 15 years. I have not dried up, nor have I gotten kidney stones. Maybe I am special?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Provided you have 1/2 cup of actual fruit, why not?
  • Susie_Q12
    Options

1. teabag
    2. some water

If you ate the teabag and drank the water you'd log the water as ...water, right?

by putting the teabag in the water you aren't magically making into a substance known as "not-water"

lol, very well said!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

1. teabag
    2. some water

This. I've always wondered what the water is supposed to turn into once flavor is added?? Seems like it is still water to me.