Eating right, working out and still gained back a pound!

Options
I'm pretty new to MFP. I recently was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and my doctor also suggested that I put myself on a diet. So since starting back with MFP on Feb. 1st I have lost 7 pounds!!! The past 3 days I have been watching and logging everything that I consume and working out like crazy. This morning when I weighed I had actually gained weight!!! This was pretty discouraging. I feel like I'm doing everything right, and eating well (lean meats, tons of veggies, water, low carbs) Another thing is that I'm having a difficult time going to the bathroom...not like constipation, it doesn't hurt, it's just like I don't have to. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• Crys1209
    Crys1209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If you're working out a lot that pound could be muscle. My best advice would be just to keep working out and doing what you're doing. Good luck to you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If you're working out a lot that pound could be muscle. My best advice would be just to keep working out and doing what you're doing. Good luck to you.

Nobody gains muscle in a week. If one were to do some very serious weight training combined with a very strict body building diet, maybe .5 Lbs per month of muscle gain...maybe.

OP...if you're working out "like crazy" and particularly if you're not accustomed to it, your body is going to retain water for muscle repair. Also, you don't necessarily need to workout like crazy...you can maintain an appropriate caloric deficit in your diet and just workout for fitness, heart health, endurance, and strength. I only do 30 minutes of aerobic cardio 3x weeksly and 30 minutes of recovery cardio 3x weekly...plus 3x weekly of heavy lifting. I was losing weight long before I got on the fitness bandwagon though with just a caloric deficit in my diet.

Also, weight loss isn't linear. When I weighed in this past Friday I was 185.6...Sunday morning I was 189...I did not gain 3.5 Lbs of fat in two days....I had a very intense lifting session on Saturday and my muscles are retaining a lot of water as a result, while they repair.
  • Craigamears
    Craigamears Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I agree with the wolfman and you don't need to "work out like crazy". You can loose weight and be fit by working out 3 x week with some resistance training and spend the rest of the time chasing around those "wild" kids of yours. Everybody thinks they need to work out everyday to lose weight or be fit. You just throw your body into stress with that and it responds appropriately. Google cortisol response to stress and see what it shows you. Also your underlying PCOS is not helped by it.

Relax and enjoy the ride and spend quality time with the kids and let them learn proper eating habits so whatever gene's they may have inerited don't have to express themselves in a similar way to yours. I wish I had done that with mine!!!
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

That pound is not muscle, Vin Diesel can't gain a pound of muscle in a week. It's likely water retention from working out. You won't see losses every week and sometimes will see gains. Your body fluctuates. Just make sure the trend is downward and that you aren't gaining every week and you will be fine.
  • alondrasilva10
    Options

Nobody gains muscle in a week. If one were to do some very serious weight training combined with a very strict body building diet, maybe .5 Lbs per month of muscle gain...maybe.

OP...if you're working out "like crazy" and particularly if you're not accustomed to it, your body is going to retain water for muscle repair. Also, you don't necessarily need to workout like crazy...you can maintain an appropriate caloric deficit in your diet and just workout for fitness, heart health, endurance, and strength. I only do 30 minutes of aerobic cardio 3x weeksly and 30 minutes of recovery cardio 3x weekly...plus 3x weekly of heavy lifting. I was losing weight long before I got on the fitness bandwagon though with just a caloric deficit in my diet.

Also, weight loss isn't linear. When I weighed in this past Friday I was 185.6...Sunday morning I was 189...I did not gain 3.5 Lbs of fat in two days....I had a very intense lifting session on Saturday and my muscles are retaining a lot of water as a result, while they repair.

I agree with him! Don't weigh yourself everyday. The number on the scale goes up and down for me so it's best to weigh yourself one time each week at the same time (mornings are best) and go off of that. If you do weigh yourself everyday, don't take the numbers too seriously.
  • mrsyako
    Options
    Thanks so much for the responses! I guess I should just cut down to 3 or 4 times a week. I'm glad that answered my questions. I was pretty sure that it was not muscle!! I'm trying not to become obsessive about it and need to stick to the once a week weigh in!!
  • mrsyako
    Options

I agree with him! Don't weigh yourself everyday. The number on the scale goes up and down for me so it's best to weigh yourself one time each week at the same time (mornings are best) and go off of that. If you do weigh yourself everyday, don't take the numbers too seriously.

I liked your reply best! It really does suck to see the scale go up even a tad when you weigh everyday! Thanks for the advice!
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Also weight loss is not linear so you are not guaranteed a lb a week or whatever you have as your goal. Over a month or two, though, you should average your goal loss. I had mine set for 1/2 lb a week and some weeks I was up, some weeks I was down but over the course of a year, I averaged 1/2 lb a week loss. It is best to think of this as a long term project.
  • Ifican
    Ifican Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I will say that i completely disagree with not weighing yourself everyday ideally morning and night would be best. For the simply fact of trending and understanding what your body is doing. The more you understand that the less concerned you become with the number on the scale. Our weights fluctuate several times a day depending on hydration levels and over the course of a few days depending on what you have been eating and how long it takes to pass through your digestive system.

As to working out do what makes you happy, Granted you dont need hours and hours of lifting but anything cardio makes you feel good and you really cant do to much if you have been doing it any length of time already. I myself do about 15 hours a week right now between swimming, biking and running. Some think thats alot where i have friends in my life that i think they are nuts for the amount of time they put it.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

That pound is not muscle, Vin Diesel can't gain a pound of muscle in a week. It's likely water retention from working out. You won't see losses every week and sometimes will see gains. Your body fluctuates. Just make sure the trend is downward and that you aren't gaining every week and you will be fine.

this, I weighed 212 on friday, got a soar throat saturday and felt ill so ate/drank very little, today I feel better but I weighed 199 this morning. I would bet my bottom dollar I will weigh 212 again in a day or 2
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    it would help if people could see what you're eating. Your diary is closed.
  • mrsyako
    Options
    Ok...I wasn't aware I could share my food diary...I will fix the setting!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the responses! I guess I should just cut down to 3 or 4 times a week. I'm glad that answered my questions. I was pretty sure that it was not muscle!! I'm trying not to become obsessive about it and need to stick to the once a week weigh in!!

I found that learning how my body weight fluctuates helped me out a lot! For a week I weighed myself every morning at the same time, wearing the same things. And every night I would weigh myself, wearing the same thing I did that morning. It helped me to figure out my average weight fluctuation over the course of a day or two. If I have a crazy sodium day, I know now to expect a pound or two gain in the morning (especially if I hadn't kept up with my fluid intake that day). If I weight lift, I expect the same thing...a pound or two gain in the morning that usually goes down the day after.

Keep in mind as well, most women put on a few pounds when Mother Nature comes calling. I have seen some women put on almost 7 pounds from that alone, and then drop it over night.
  • cdgabbert
    cdgabbert Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue - only I don't lose pounds, I am just losing some inches... slowly - the restroom issue, if you are eating a lot of protein that will do it!!!
  • sarahmarc
    sarahmarc Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    7 pounds in 11 days is crazy lose that your body can't keep doing. Pick a weigh in day and go by how you feel rather than the scale.... My body goes up and down about 4 pounds! So stay off the scale and accepts .5 to 1 pound weight lose as normal each week. We all have weeks we don't lose or weeks we lose extra.... Don't be in a hurry. Watch your sodium too....

Good luck
  • ambrosij
    ambrosij Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    7 pounds in 11 days is crazy lose that your body can't keep doing. Pick a weigh in day and go by how you feel rather than the scale.... My body goes up and down about 4 pounds! So stay off the scale and accepts .5 to 1 pound weight lose as normal each week. We all have weeks we don't lose or weeks we lose extra.... Don't be in a hurry. Watch your sodium too....

Good luck

7 pounds in 11 days is not all that crazy...it all depends on how much you have to lose to begin with...your activity level and your food intake. Some people lose weight faster than others...2.5 pounds per week is basically the recommended number and I dont think your that far from it.
  • Jozie_
    Jozie_ Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with weighing every day as long as you understand what the numbers mean. I weigh every day it gives me a much better idea of what is happening with my body other than fat loss/gain. I can fluctuate over 4 pounds in the space of a month without my actual body composition or measurements changing. I often get up one day and weigh a pound more than the day before and then its gone again the next day.

I hate when I see people freak out becasue they ate a big meal one evening and weigh the following morning and have apparently gained 3 pounds overnight
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

i wholeheartedly agree.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    7 pounds in 11 days, congratulations on your weight loss. I always gain water weight when I exercise more than usual but I know the weight gain is not fat because I track my calories and make sure they are less than what I burn. At times I have not lost anything for 3 weeks even with doing everything right and then boom a huge weight loss. Sometimes it drops in chunks. I cannot see your food diary so I don't know how your diet is. Keep up the good work!
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with weighing every day as long as you understand what the numbers mean. I weigh every day it gives me a much better idea of what is happening with my body other than fat loss/gain. I can fluctuate over 4 pounds in the space of a month without my actual body composition or measurements changing. I often get up one day and weigh a pound more than the day before and then its gone again the next day.

I hate when I see people freak out becasue they ate a big meal one evening and weigh the following morning and have apparently gained 3 pounds overnight

I used to weigh myself every day and agree with this. If I had a more reliable scale available every day, I'd weigh myself more often. The fact that our weight can fluctuate daily seems like more of a reason to weigh daily/more often than not. If you only weigh once a week, it's hard to know if you're fluctuating high or low or average.