doubling up workouts

Options
I'm wondering if it's possible to workout TOO much? Here's my current weekly workout schedule:

Monday: Functional training - 60 seconds plyometrics, 60 seconds heavy heavy lifting (If P90X and Insanity had a baby, it would be this class)
Tuesday: Run intervals 50-60 min
Wednesday: Same as Monday
Thursday: Spin or Run intervals 50-60 min
Friday: Cardio Kickboxing
Saturday: Power Pump class - 45 minutes heavy lifting
Sunday: Rest

I know this is probably a "listen to your body" type of thing, but to speed up weight loss, can I double up some days? Could I add a run or spin class on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays?
I currently am eating close to my TDEE (sedentary job) which is around 2000 calories. I usually don't eat back exercise calories and I'm feeling strong and fueled during my workouts. I'm about 8-10 pounds into a 100 pound goal loss so I'm pretty new at successful weightloss but not new to working out.

Thoughts please :)

Replies

• MrHolyTemple
    MrHolyTemple Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Adding extra cardio to your workout is not a bad thing. you just want to make sure that you add the right amount of calories to your daily food intake that will help you with lean muscle gain because too much cardio will start to make your body feed on your muscles which is not what you want to do.

i do two cardio sessions three days a week to help lower my body fat percentage.

i do personal training, so if you have any questions, please feel free to ask
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if it's possible to workout TOO much? Here's my current weekly workout schedule:

Monday: Functional training - 60 seconds plyometrics, 60 seconds heavy heavy lifting (If P90X and Insanity had a baby, it would be this class)

I know this is probably a "listen to your body" type of thing, but to speed up weight loss, can I double up some days? Could I add a run or spin class on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays?
    I currently am eating close to my TDEE (sedentary job) which is around 2000 calories. I usually don't eat back exercise calories and I'm feeling strong and fueled during my workouts. I'm about 8-10 pounds into a 100 pound goal loss so I'm pretty new at successful weightloss but not new to working out.

Trying to speed up weight loss by doubling exercise isn't always a sound idea. Recovery plays an important part because if muscle don't have time to recover, then injury and catabolism (which will lower your metabolic rate) can occur. While I personally work out 5-6 days a week, it's not more than 45 minutes a day and I don't train the same body parts consecutive days. If I train legs today, I only do light cardio the next day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I add extra cardio some times when I want to drop a few pounds faster. For me it's usually in the form of a very brisk dog walk (think 4+ MPH on hilly/gravel terrain) and/or an exercise video.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    So, you are working out an hour a day, with rest days?

That is only too much if you are not strong enough, which doesn't sound like a problem.

Your calories sound pretty good. If you want to be scientific about it, recalculate with the appropriate activity level and subtract 10-20%.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Saturday I did 4 hours worth of karate.

Today I did an hour of cardio this morning, I'm going to hit the gym in a few to lift for an hour with my strength coach, and then I'm going to do an hour of karate tonight.

These aren't even the days I've worked the hardest, and I'm still fat.

If your question is while doing a ton of exercise cause you to lose weight super quickly, no it probably won't. Diet will always be the most important thing.

If your question is if your body can handle intense workouts. You'll have to try it and see, the human body is able to take quite a beating. Just make sure you're eating and sleeping enough.
  • imjenjen00
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I will try adding a few extra cardio workouts per week for a week or two and see how the scale responds and how I feel. Sometimes I think I overthink these things :)

Thanks again!
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I do 3 1 hour workouts a day, but that's my job now. I've had to change the way I eat. I'd been low carbing for nearly 2 years and now I eat 2-3 servings of whole grains daily. It's not dropping my weight really, but it's turned me into just about the strongest/fastest woman in my workout groups and I like that. :)
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I will try adding a few extra cardio workouts per week for a week or two and see how the scale responds and how I feel. Sometimes I think I overthink these things :)

Thanks again!

The scale may not respond, as I think others have pointed out. I do two hours of working out at least 5 days a week. While I'm healthier and feel a lot better, I've been stuck at 230 for a few months.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Saturday I did 4 hours worth of karate.

Today I did an hour of cardio this morning, I'm going to hit the gym in a few to lift for an hour with my strength coach, and then I'm going to do an hour of karate tonight.

These aren't even the days I've worked the hardest, and I'm still fat.

If your question is while doing a ton of exercise cause you to lose weight super quickly, no it probably won't. Diet will always be the most important thing.

If your question is if your body can handle intense workouts. You'll have to try it and see, the human body is able to take quite a beating. Just make sure you're eating and sleeping enough.

i agree with this. i also will workout more than a once a day consistently and I'm also still fat.

so OP if you do decide to go crazy with workouts understand that it might not necessarily result in crazy weight loss. if you're doing it because you have some fitness goals in mind (like i do) then you'll find it more rewarding.
  • imjenjen00
    Options
    i agree with this. i also will workout more than a once a day consistently and I'm also still fat.

so OP if you do decide to go crazy with workouts understand that it might not necessarily result in crazy weight loss. if you're doing it because you have some fitness goals in mind (like i do) then you'll find it more rewarding.

Got it! Thanks
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    overtraining is real but it will come at a different point for everyone.

It doesn't sound like a way over ambitious scheduel to me.

When your eating at a defecit, your not going to be building any lean mass anyway. YOu want to do want you can to keep what you have, but i would go to nuts about. get as close to 1 gram of protein per lbs of body weight and do some weight training is about the best you can do in this department when you eating to lose weight.

I'd assume that the added workouts are going to help you drop fat faster, but perhaps not be as much of a boost as you think.

I'd say the only time you really have to worry about doing to much work is when your trying to build muscle mass or strength because you could end up buring calories you need to grow