Is tea the same as water?

Options
124»

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

That doesn't mean that it is exactly the same (purity issue). River water still counts as water too, but that has more extra stuff than tea or beer.

I have lived in Cleveland, where a river caught fire, and near Love Canal. I have a hard time drinking river water even when I am near the top of the mountain.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Log tea as tea and water as water, I don't think it's a huge deal if you don't drink all 64 oz every day, you get water from fruits and veggies too. Do the best you can, I don't usually log water but I drink a lot of it.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

it is basic chemistry, you add one thing to another and it changes the properties

Except making tea or coffee is not a chemical reaction - it's a physical reaction (dissolution is physical). As such, no properties are "changed." You simply get all the properties of each ingredient.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options

That doesn't mean that it is exactly the same (purity issue). River water still counts as water too, but that has more extra stuff than tea or beer.

I have lived in Cleveland, where a river caught fire, and near Love Canal. I have a hard time drinking river water even when I am near the top of the mountain.

lol, yeah, I definitely wasn't recommending river water. :)
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

it is basic chemistry, you add one thing to another and it changes the properties

Except making tea or coffee is not a chemical reaction - it's a physical reaction (dissolution is physical). As such, no properties are "changed." You simply get all the properties of each ingredient.

Hurrah! Oh and I love the word "dissolution", it sounds so....hedonistic and degenerate. I'll feel very decadent drinking my hot leaf flavoured water from now on.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Personally I count my tea.. whether it has caffiene in it or not.

The amount that the caffiene in tea would dehydrate you is very small and would be off set by the hydrating effects.

Pure water is usually the best thing however our bodies get hydrated by what we eat and drink... not just water consumption.

If drinking tea helps you to reach your water intake goals go ahead and count it.
  • PinkRhythm428
    PinkRhythm428 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You are quoting livestrong.....really?

Yup. I guess cause 1 guy lies their entire organization is discredited? Seems fair and logical.

Its physical science 101. When you change the physical properties of something, it no longer is that thing. Chemically, Tea is not water no matter how you twist it.

http://msl1.mit.edu/ESD10/kidneys/HndbkHTML/ch1.htm

There, I quoted MIT. Is that good enough for you?

Does that mean my city's water is no longer water because they add chemicals, like flouride, to it?
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    So if we are looking for conspiricy theories.... (just follow a me a while guys :wink: )
    The tap water in London is reckoned to have passed through at least several people....everyone drinking tap water in London is drinking people!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So if we are looking for conspiricy theories.... (just follow a me a while guys :wink: )
    The tap water in London is reckoned to have passed through at least several people....everyone drinking tap water in London is drinking people!

"passed through people"? And it brought a little of the people with it as it passed through? Interesting.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Yes, it counts. The diuretic effect is minimal. I count my coffee and tea.
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I think tea is great for you but I think you need pure water as well since it flushes you out!
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    Options
    This is true. I used to think that tea & water were not the same thing, but due to a similar thread I now understand you can count tea as water. =) If you were to drink a cup of water and then take a caffeine pill, you would count that as water, right? What if you dissolved the pill in the water first? It would have the same effect inside your body. Hope this helps!
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options

"passed through people"? And it brought a little of the people with it as it passed through? Interesting.
    You do know I am not serious right?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Its physical science 101. When you change the physical properties of something, it no longer is that thing. Chemically, Tea is not water no matter how you twist it.

This argument only works if one assumes the human body operates like a Roman sewer. Since it doesn't, and contains a filtering system for water better than anything yet designed by man, I am fairly sure that it can do just fine at separating the water from everything in it. Of course, that assumes that nothing in the solution is acutely poisonous, which I am fairly sure puts most 'tea' on the safe list.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    You are quoting livestrong.....really?

Yup. I guess cause 1 guy lies their entire organization is discredited? Seems fair and logical.

http://msl1.mit.edu/ESD10/kidneys/HndbkHTML/ch1.htm

There, I quoted MIT. Is that good enough for you?
    No body said that Livestrong is discredited because of what Lance did. Livestrong wasn't an authoritative source on medical or nutritional topics even before he admitted his lying cheating ways. I don't see how the MIT article you linked adds anything to the discussion.

You do not need 8 glasses of water a day to stay healthy. This is a myth that many doctors and nutritionists continue to perpetuate with no actual science behind it. For some it will help with weight loss by giving you something to put in your mouth or curbing your appetite when you feel hungry because your actually thirsty. It does not increase your metabolism or flush fat and toxins out of your body.

All beverages with the exception of some very high alcohol content alcohols have water in them. Most food also has water in it. You can be completely hydrated just by eating food and never drinking anything.

Your doctor and your nutritionist are still going to tell you water is the best because it doesn't have caffeine, sugar, sodium or any of that other stuff that isn't good for you. They want you to drink more water and less of the other stuff. Not because the other stuff doesn't contain water but because they want you to drink less of the other stuff.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yes. to make tea you have

1. teabag
    2. some water

If you ate the teabag and drank the water you'd log the water as ...water, right?

by putting the teabag in the water you aren't magically making into a substance known as "not-water"

I've wanted to say this so many times, Thank You for saying it :D
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Just to be safe, I think I will start eating the tea bag and washing it down with water. but wait, it's going to start chemically changing in my stomach.. how long does that take? Do I count it as half-water then?
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Water, coffee, tea, even sodas, will hydrate you. Water still does nit's job. It's the other things in some of them that have adverse effects.
  • namluv
    namluv Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Just to be safe, I think I will start eating the tea bag and washing it down with water. but wait, it's going to start chemically changing in my stomach.. how long does that take? Do I count it as half-water then?

ROTFLMAO :laugh:
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    Options

Well said!