Options

Replies

• robjenga
    robjenga Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    religion.
  • countesscharleyangel
    Options
    When does lent start? Thinking about giving up the elevator at work (I ride it upstairs, but walk down the stairs, lol) and cutting out diet coke.
  • countesscharleyangel
    Options
    Ooh, good one. I needlessly shop as well.
  • ctweedie607
    ctweedie607 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Chocolate.
    And my 'secret sister' just gave me a gift basket full chocolate yesterday for Valentines day... what to do? Part of me wants to eat it all up before Wednesday, but I know I shouldn't.
  • Vmax1992
    Vmax1992 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Will be giving up Lent.
  • kw0205
    kw0205 Posts: 62
    Options
    Will be giving up Lent.

I suggested this to a catholic friend of mine after she said she was giving up chocolate. She told me it didn't work that way and I was absolutely no help whatsoever.

What are friends for? :-)

For those who do participate - good luck!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up Lent for Lent...

cause y'know...

I'm not Catholic. :wink:
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm not Catholic, but I started giving something up for Lent last year and I want to continue to this year. I have decided to give up soda again this year along with swearing, the scale, and fast food chain restaurants, excluding Subway because I don't consider that really fast food.
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine a long time ago pointed out that the point of Lent is to grow closer to God blah blah blah so instead of giving something up she added reading 1 chapter or 30 minutes (whichever came last) of the Bible every night. Since she is Catholic she said it was probably the most she has ever read the Bible in her life. I'm not Catholic but liked the idea so I have started doing the same thing every year.

The priest at my college (I went to a Catholic university) said that the reason for fish on Fridays was because Fish used to be the most common meat and nothing special so instead of going out for shrimp and lobster dinners he recommended that everyone eat ramen and hot dogs in the true spirit of the holy season. I don't know anyone who ever actually followed his advice.
  • candace21st
    Options
    Im giving up simple carbs after 2pm
  • cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The snack machine at work! It's been my greatest downfall lately :sad:
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I may allow wine on Sundays since I have some on hand, but, since my thing is shopping, it's not really a sacrifice if I just wait a few days and buy everything I want. I will allow eating out since there are some family events coming up, but no ordering alcohol or dessert, since those are unnessecary expenses. Instead, I'll have a reasonable entree only.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    chocolate :sad: Lord help me with this one....

Don't give up chocolate, just give up milk chocolate :) Dark chocolate is good for you, I have some EVERY night to "mentally" cap that I'm done eating for the day (with coffee or tea).
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Going to church
  • megallegos
    megallegos Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm going stick to Paloe no cheats and try to limit the amount of times I use negative phrases...no more I cant's, I won't be able to, I dont want to's and taking up a fast on Friday's. Oye Vey :)
  • justmyalias
    justmyalias Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm not giving up anything, but I'm going to go to daily Mass twice a week (and of course Sunday Mass). My best Lent ever though, was around 7 years ago and I gave up sugar. No sweets, no adding sugar to coffee or anything else...and to this day, I've maintained it. Once in a great while, I'll eat sweets, and I do use honey in tea, but I haven't touched a box of sugar or any other refined sugar in darned near 7 years, except when baking Christmas cookies.

I consider my giving up sugar a miracle, lol.

that's awesomely impressive (i am terribly addicted to the white poison...)
  • hungergames324
    hungergames324 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    i think i'm giving up all nut butters. I have zero control with them!
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up pastries and alcohol been indulging in both a little too much since Christmas! I gave up fast food and chocolate last year and couldn't believe I made it all the way to Easter.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Wasting time on Social Networking sites. But I have a big project that I need to complete in 8 weeks, so the timing is good.
  • mikek333
    mikek333 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm still deciding between alcohol and animal proteins... can't decide and time is ticking.