Heart rate monitor?

Options
bslclay
bslclay Posts: 55 Member
I really want to track the calories that I have burned correctly... It seems most measures are just estimates that can vary tremendously. Would a heart rate monitor be the most reliable way to measure the calories i have burned? If not, what then? If so, which kind?

Thanks!

Replies

• kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't help, but I have the same question..... :smile:
  • Gembo82
    Gembo82 Posts: 29
    Options
    Bumping so that i can see the answers :)
  • elizamary77
    elizamary77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Do a search there were a couple of threads for this a few days ago you can probably find ur answer there. I read through them and order a Polar FT7 and I'm am impatiantly waiting for it to come.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    yes! A Heart rate monitor is the best/ most accurate way to track calories burned! :smile: As for brand there are so many in quite a large range of prices. The most accurate are the kind that have a chest strap. I have a Bowflex and I like it just fine. Many people like the Polar, I just find them to be a bit spendy. GL!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner. It cost me about $400 with a discount but it's also my bike computer and my run computer. I wouldn't recommend spending that much if you just want to know your calories burned in exercise.

I also have a Reebok Precision XT that I bought on a closeout sale. I found it to be a bit erratic -- it would almost always tell me that my max HR was 220 (i.e., the max it could read) and my min. HR was 0 (i.e., it lost the signal). I think it's worth it to get a more reliable one such as a Polar, which have an excellent reputation for accuracy and reliability.

Also, while the HRM is much more accurate than any other source, they are still an estimate. It's important to set them up correctly (age, weight, VO2 Max) so that the formula is as accurate as possible.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Do a search there were a couple of threads for this a few days ago you can probably find ur answer there. I read through them and order a Polar FT7 and I'm am impatiantly waiting for it to come.

I decided on the Polar FT4... has a couple of less options than the FT7, but still has the user changeable battery... and I got it on ebay for cheap (new)!! :bigsmile:

Waiting for it to come now. :glasses:
  • gabriellesca
    Options
    I ADORE my HRM. I have a Polar F9 or F7 - one of those. Its awesome! It has the chest strap and I wear it every time I workout. I find that it really pushes me to work out harder when I'm in the midst of a workout. I wear it swimming, cycling, cardio, weights. I LOVE it. Mine was only $100 - and so worth it. It also tracks intensity levels as well. Awesome investment!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If I may toot my own horn a little, :drinker: you might find this helpful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

3 basic guidelines:

1. Have realistic expectations about what HRMs can and cannot do (and how accurate they are)

2. Don't go cheap.

3. Take the time to set the thing up properly and update it regularly.