Protein After Workout

Options
I am 5'5, 142 lb and just got done with a 60 minute cardio/strength training class where I burned 470 calories. Can anyone tell me how many grams of protein is optimal after my workout? I had a protein shake (25g protein) before my workout, but understand it's beneficial to consume protein after my workout as well. Thanks for your help, and I hope I'm posting in the correct forum!

Replies

• lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Depends upon the type of workout... For cardio and light strength training not so much 20 to 30 grams will do it... (Muscle Milk or a Protein Bar) If you are doing serious weight training then 35 to 50 grams would be a good idea (Muscle Milk washing down a protein bar...)
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    nutrient timing and supplements are unecessary. Just eat normally before and after and don't fret.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5, 142 lb and just got done with a 60 minute cardio/strength training class where I burned 470 calories. Can anyone tell me how many grams of protein is optimal after my workout? I had a protein shake (25g protein) before my workout, but understand it's beneficial to consume protein after my workout as well. Thanks for your help, and I hope I'm posting in the correct forum!

Gah!! I hate word problems!

frustrated2.jpg

tumblr_m4eksnIJf41qhox23.jpg
  • AphelionPDX
    Options

frustrated2.jpg

Cute! But do you have an answe?r :grumble: :wink:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

frustrated2.jpg

42...the answer is ALWAYS 42.

It's the answer to life, the universe and everything.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I think anywhere between 20-40 grams is optimal. My understanding is that anabolic response taps around 40 grams.
  • boosht
    boosht Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i've read that a full fat milk glass of is just as good as any protein shake but without all of the sugars, yes it has fat in it but no other addertives., like talked about here eat normal foods before training like chicken breast and Egg's, then afterwards have a glass of full fat milk (less if you don't like like semi skimmed etc) but the protein after a workout is just to assist the repair of muscles.

good luck but try that and see how you get on, if it does not work for you then stick to a shake before and after your workouts, but monitor your weight in either to see if you need it. you can allways just eat normally and take nothing extra and see what happens there too... all trial and error, we are all individual and eventually we will find what works for us.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman. I lift heavy. My post workout shake is ~32g of protein. Whatever helps you hit your protein macro.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    nutrient timing and supplements are unecessary. Just eat normally before and after and don't fret.

This. :)
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

frustrated2.jpg

42...the answer is ALWAYS 42.

It's the answer to life, the universe and everything.

Based on StrikerJB looks like the answer is somewhere between 24 and 42. LOL
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Take in about 1g of protein per lb of LBM over the course of a day. Doesn't matter what the timing is.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I think if you were working out fasted, it might be a bigger deal. Since that's not the case, I wouldn't worry about that quite so much. I'm always curious to see what others say...
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    you eating to gain or to lose?

research shows carbs and protein together are better then one or the other alone. a ratio of 3:1 or 4:1 carbs to protein is supposedly optimal.

They sell dedicated 'recovery drinks' or 'post workout formulas' for this that are pretty pricey. They all use a refined sugar as the carb (because the idea is to play with the body's insulin response), so if that turns you off they may not be for you.

chocolate milk was used in some of the university studies that did research on protein/carbs post workout, so i cup or two of that would be a good alternative. these 3 ingredient pancakes also have a 3:1 ratio and are low fat (important for the insulin response) and are all natural ingredients. I'll make them after a workout if it wasn't very intense: http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/post/38657925508

I've seen formulas based on body weight to tell you exactly how many grams of carbs and protien to consume post work out. If i followed the suggestions, i'd be consuming 800 calories after ever workout. I'm trying to lose weight so that stright up does not support my goals. my post work out meal is about 210 cals, 10g protien, 40 gram carbs.

I've seen a lot of people saying that timing of meals is meaningless. I'd agree with them, EXCEPT in the case of post work out nutrition. Perhaps they are right, and all the peer reviewed journals are wrong, but as long as you are eating at your target calories and macros, its not going to hurt you, so what not do it on the chance that the research is right?
  • lself0924
    lself0924 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Would someone's age play a factor in the equation. I'm 45, in my late 30's I noticed a big difference taking place in my body's ability to keep and build muscle. Fat was no problem for it.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    i've read that a full fat milk glass of is just as good as any protein shake but without all of the sugars, yes it has fat in it but no other addertives.

milks got 13g of sugar in it. the protein powder on my desk as 3 g
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    Would someone's age play a factor in the equation. I'm 45, in my late 30's I noticed a big difference taking place in my body's ability to keep and build muscle. Fat was no problem for it.
    i don't think its going to have much effect as far as what makes good nutrition.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    It's not worth the effort to calculate unless you are a serious heavy lifting body builder. Just eat normally.
  • Jerodhold
    Options
    Doesn't matter when you get your protein just as long as you get enough thru out the day.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Take in about 1g of protein per lb of LBM over the course of a day. Doesn't matter what the timing is.

Yup. ESPECIALLY if you're drinking a shake pre-workout, you REALLY don't have to have anything post-workout.

Only time I might recommend a post-workout shake is if you're working out fasted, and aren't eating anything for a long time post-workout. But that's pretty uncommon.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    is timing neccesary to build the body you want? of course not, doesn't mean it can't help significantly though.

probably better off doing your own investigation. I perfer listening to people with a bunch of letters after thier names instead of a bunch of time on thier hands, you could start here if you like:

http://oakbrooksc.com/docs/stager_chocmilk_study.pdf