calories burnt at work

Options
is there a way to work out how many calories you could burn whilst at work? i'm on the go all day long, and just wondered how much i'm burning during the day, i'd guess there is no hard and fast way of measuring it, as we all do different types of work etc but thought there may be a rough guide to get some idea

Replies

• michelangelofan
    Options
    I work in retail where I walk and have to go up and down ladders a lot, so I generally put in an hour of light walking - that way, even if I do burn a few more calories, it keeps me from overeating
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    fitbit is perfect for this.
  • blondie0922
    blondie0922 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with GauchoMark. I love my Fitbit!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    When you set up your profile, you have the option to choose sedentary, lightly active, or active as your 'lifestyle", so it wouldn't be advisable to count them with the intentions of eating back calories, but as far as calculating them for your own interest, wearing a Fitbit or other HRM would probably be the best way.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    HRM?
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I used a FitBit for a long time but a few month ago went to the Polar FT7 HRM. I have a low resting heart rate and the FitBit was WAY over calculating my calories burned. I wore my HRM for 24 hrs and that gave me an idea of my true burn for an average day. DARN that low heart rate!! I am very lucky that my HR is 45 whilst at work due to sedentary computer work, and maybe 60-65 when I get up to walk around a bit during the day. This is why I attempt to workout 1-1.5 hrs each morning as that is the bulk of my activity for the day, as I might do a short brisk walk in the evening but typically not more than 20-30 mins.
  • CoulsdonEagle
    Options
    HRM?
    Heart Rate Monitor
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I used a FitBit for a long time but a few month ago went to the Polar FT7 HRM. I have a low resting heart rate and the FitBit was WAY over calculating my calories burned. I wore my HRM for 24 hrs and that gave me an idea of my true burn for an average day. DARN that low heart rate!! I am very lucky that my HR is 45 whilst at work due to sedentary computer work, and maybe 60-65 when I get up to walk around a bit during the day. This is why I attempt to workout 1-1.5 hrs each morning as that is the bulk of my activity for the day, as I might do a short brisk walk in the evening but typically not more than 20-30 mins.

I was thinking that HRM's are not accurate for anything besides elevated heart rate activities, so they were inappropriate for calorie estimates during sedentary periods.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Your best bet if you really want to determine this is a HRM/fitbit.

Good luck!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I'd get a fitbit or something similar if you want to determine your daily activity.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    BodyMedia FIt.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor is not set up to accurately calculate at lower heart rates. The algorithms don't work that way. But the Fitbit and Bodybuggs are.
  • fitcounselor
    fitcounselor Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I started wearing my BodyMedia/BodyBugg again for this exact reason. I have a failry low resting heart rate and I don't think my HRM was accurately counting my "burn" if you know what I mean. You do have to wear it every day - to get the most accurate read but it helped me A TON when I was in my weight loss mode. I'm wearing it again now so I know how much I can eat while doing significant weight training. I don't want to undereat while I'm trying to build lean muscle! Also, there are promo codes out there for bodymedia discounts - if you want one, friend me and I'll send you a link for 15% off. Good luck!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    HRM are not accurate for a daily total of calories. They are meant to track during periods of exercise only. bodymedia fit would give you a much more accurate reading for a day.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm using a fitbit and it's pretty suprising how many calories I burn on busy days at work, compared to a slow day at work or a day at home with adding in a workout. I actually burn more at work, than I do at home, even when I manage to work out.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    When you set up your profile, you have the option to choose sedentary, lightly active, or active as your 'lifestyle", so it wouldn't be advisable to count them with the intentions of eating back calories, but as far as calculating them for your own interest, wearing a Fitbit or other HRM would probably be the best way.

I am voting for the change your settings option.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I think that the HRM is really good for working out (sweating it up) as it is designed to monitor your heart rate. Fitbit would probably be more useful for when you are at work.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Unless weight is dropping off of you at an alarming rate I wouldn't worry about it. Things that we do repeatedly, such as our jobs, don't burn as much as you think because your body gets used to it and becomes very efficient. Same reason you should change up your exercise.
  • haylez24
    Options
    Id tried that but often i dont have time to look at my watch and see how long i have been walking for. Im always on my feet walking around. Eventually your body gets used to your daily routine anyways so i dont think those calories would make much difference this is why if you have a gym routine you should change it from time to time as your body is expecting what is coming and wont make the effort to work it off

Good Luck