Weighing yourself every day?

Options
I weigh myself every morning, I know that it's really subjective but I can usually tell why I'm way up or down. How often do you weigh yourself and why? I'm trying to figure out if I should change my schedule.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I have an "official" weigh-in day. I was becoming scale obssessed, and it was effing with my mind. I might still hop and here and there, but I only "count", for purposes of see if I've gained ro lost, my Friday morning weigh-in.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    no need to change anything unless your an impatient person and are gonna expect it to go down a pound every day
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Daily - If it doesn't make you obsess, it's a really good way to know your normal fluctuations.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    If I weighed every day it would drive me insane when my body fluctuates as much as 5lbs in a day. There's no way I could keep up. Weekly works for me I have to keep myself off it daily.
  • Katey911
    Katey911 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily as well but only record my weight on Monday's weigh-in. I find daily is a good barometer for me, and when I'm down (even a tiny bit) it's encouraging.

This doesn't mean on days I'm down I eat more, I stick within my calories as much on "low" days as I do on "high" days. It's just a mental victory or recommittment for me to start my day with.

If it works for you, I see no need to change your method.
  • Abi_bug04
    Options
    I usually weigh-in every day. I like to see how my eating from the day before might affect water retention, etc. and I am also able to catch a 2-3 day creep-up in the scale earlier to see if I need to change something. However, it does get annoying when your weight fluctuates a few pounds here and there (which is natural), so I only count my weigh-in once a week...or after a loss of 1lb (at least).

But it's all about what you like best!
  • dreea55
    dreea55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There is literally no benefit to weighing yourself everyday. Thats obsessive, can lead to giving up easily. Our bodies don't work that quickly and our weight fluctuates throughout the week based on your personal bowel movements, fibre intake and water weight/bloating. Once a week, in the morning, on an empty stomach, ideally after a bowel movement.
  • elli_be1
    Options
    That's what I was thinking, I used to get obsessed but now that I'm more aware of why it fluctuates it's a really good marker of how my food affected me (water retention, etc.)
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    once a week at the same time of day
  • baksings
    Options
    I weigh myself every day or at least every other day because of health reasons. I track my sodium intake and keep very close tabs on it. My cardiac nurse suggested that I weigh myself daily, espcially if I feel I had eaten something suspicious. Then I will know to stay away from that particular food in the future. Water retention and sodium intake are hand in hand.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I did while I was first losing. You have to be able to emotionally separate yourself from the number though. It will jump up and down 2-3 pounds a day, and even as much as 5 pounds if its that time of the month or you had a really high sodium/high food the day before. Now I'm losing so slowly (on purpose) that I'm really only weighing myself once a month (same time of cycle) so I notice the more subtle changes.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily, but only have 1 official weigh in day where i log my weight
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Daily - If it doesn't make you obsess, it's a really good way to know your normal fluctuations.
    ^^^this.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    There is literally no benefit to weighing yourself everyday. Thats obsessive, can lead to giving up easily. Our bodies don't work that quickly and our weight fluctuates throughout the week based on your personal bowel movements, fibre intake and water weight/bloating. Once a week, in the morning, on an empty stomach, ideally after a bowel movement.

You could track long-term progress? Other than that I agree there's no benefit to weighing in daily. Monthly would probably be O.K.
  • silvernik
    silvernik Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day otherwise it's too easy for me to explain away a gain as "just a big dinner last night" or "too many carbs and not enough fibre yesterday".
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Everyday, but my official weigh in is on Friday AM. I do not expect it to go down everyday...in fact, I expect it to go all over the place...up one day, down the next, etc...I like having the data points for my nerdy graphs.
  • robertcook34
    Options
    I think weighing daily is too much stress. I weigh twice a week (which sometimes feels like too much) but here is my logic. I weigh on Sunday's because it sets the tone for my week plus insures I am good over the weekend and do not over indulge knowing I have to hit the scale Sunday morning. I also weigh on Wednesday so I have a mid week check - again to keep me honest so I don't think I can hit a lot of lousy food early in the week just because I have the rest of the week to burn it off!
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Friday. It's not good to become so obsessed with the number. If I were to weigh in every day, I think I would drive myself crazy. Once a week(at the same time) is good enough for me :)
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Daily because I couldn't deal with the disappointment of looking like I gained over a week. With my regular weight fluctuations and despite losing an average of 0.225 lbs per day, I show gains about 1 out of every 3 days and 1 out of every 4 weeks. Not obsessive but I have found a better connection with my "weight" and what my body does on a daily basis by weighing daily.

I care more about my measurements which I take weekly. I don't care at all if my weight jumps but if my waist increases then I have to do something differently. So far my measurements have been pretty consistently trending smaller but I know that as I become leaner, measurements will mean more than weight.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    ^^^this.

I also agree- but when you are close to goal, once a month is fine.